Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:56:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Maidenhead evening timetable (both now and December)..  (Read 5033 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2007, 22:12:34 »

Does it not worry anyone else that there is no fast train to Maidenhead between the 17.44 (stopping at Slough) and the 18.18 (first stop Maidenhead).. That is a whole 34 minutes with no fast train.. I have told FGW (First Great Western) this many times yet the same big gap is in the new December timetable. If anyone just misses the 17.44 (due to no fault of their own usually) it is a very long wait until the next train. The old 18.06 before it was removed (first stop Maidenhead) used to be very overcrowded until Maidenhead so obviously there is a need for a train then. Undecided
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 06:34:19 »

Goodness, you pampered people of Maidenhead moaning because theres a half an hour gap in services. Did you know that there's a town in Wiltshire which coincidentally also begins with the letter 'M', which, if you are travelling to or from that station and depending on the time of day, you've got to be equipped with either a packed lunch and picnic blanket or a tent and bedroll in case you miss the train.

Anyway you pampered people got CROSSRAIL to look forward to.

Don't tell me, by the time that happens you'll be drawing your state pension.

All said tongue in cheek by the way.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 06:36:56 by martyjon » Logged
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 12:51:37 »

Ha ha. I'll take it tongue in cheek. Smiley

I don't know about Melksham (not entirely sure how far away it is and I come from wiltshire originally so I should know) but Maidenhead has always been a busy commuter town on the mainline and has always had a fast train at least every 15 minutes, and more, in both morning and evening rush hour.. So, considering those trains were always full and now there are less of them, it's a bit of a cattle truck like service now!  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 13:25:29 »

As a resident of Melksham,  I'm pretty sure that I'm rather more experience with our train service here than most, and I intentionally didn't jump in on the comments about a half hour's gap in service, even if I thought "I wish!".  An appropriate level of service here (according to a submission made by experts at the County Council, revealed under FOI (Freedom of Information)) would be an hourly train and we couldn't in all honesty justify more frequent for the short or medium term.

Our problem is that after the 06:19 (morning) departure from our commuting centre of Swindon, there isn't another train until 18:42 (evening) and we feel that's a gap that should be plugged.  Our population is around 24000. The census which tells me than Maidenhead had 59000 in 2001.

I don't know the Maidenhead case well enough to talk "appropriate" for that neck of the woods, but if our appropriate service is hourly, then with 2.5 times the population it seems that an express every 20 minutes or so might not be so far out for you - perhaps more frequent as all your communting might be in one direction?  But I do think you're already much closer to "appropriate" than we are!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 13:29:56 »

I totally agree Grahame.

However I guess it's more important how many of the population actually commute than how many live in a town.. Hopefully you don't get to suffer the cattle like services with people crammed in that we do, but knowing FGW (First Great Western) I imagine you do?

If they remove any more trains from Maidenhead we'll be travelling on the roof I think!! Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 14:11:27 »

Hopefully you don't get to suffer the cattle like services with people crammed in that we do, but knowing FGW (First Great Western) I imagine you do?

No, we don't have cattle-like services on the TransWilts at the moment.  It was headed that way until last December, but the timetable changes extended the commuter's day on the only remaining train by 90 (ninety) minutes.  An arrival in Swindon well before 8 a.m., then an evening departure at a quarter to seven, is just too much.   Remember - if we're doing a comparison (dangerous) I'm giving you the equivalent of Paddington time - so that would be the equivalent of leaving Maidenhead at 07:10 and getting back there at around 19:30.

If I drive to Trowbridge, near to use here, and catch  the train to Bristol, sure we get overcrowding. I've been denied access to trains because they can't take any more passengers, and the next one's not always "right behind" - it can be almost an hour.  The gap there will get better from December, since there are two trains an hour but they have been running shortly after each other this year, then leaving a gap.

Your point on numbers of commuters is utterly valid.  First have quote 120000 journeys per annum to me for 2005, and the figure seems sensible. This year, I would be surprised if the Westbury to Swindon service managed a tenth of that.  Current service - crap and crass!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 14:17:05 »

Oh dear.. And will FGW (First Great Western) do anything about it? I doubt it!!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 15:26:21 »

Oh dear.. And will FGW (First Great Western) do anything about it? I doubt it!!

I love discussing the TransWilts but we're getting off topic.

I have a big presentation to do - over 100 people - on Saturday and I'm putting my notes together though.   Draft notes including history start here!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: