10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 07:46:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoration of original prototype HST to service  (Read 12736 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« on: May 14, 2011, 20:14:33 »

This has been posted on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) and i have decided to post a copy here in case anyone might be interested :

http://www.projectmiller.org.uk/

Sound like a good idea it would be nice to see it  up and running shame the other power car was scrapped particulary if  when some of the hst sets are withdrawn from service on the great western in a few years.

I wonder how long we will have to wait before we see a valenta hst on the uk mainline again, i will certainly pay to go on a railtour operated by 1
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:42:25 »

This project continues and the restored Paxman Valenta engine in 41001 was fired up for the first time on July 1st 2013.

Picture:
http://www.projectmiller.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/41001_errupting.jpg

Clagtastic!  Grin

Cooler group and electric train supply (ETS (Electric Train Supply)) will be worked on next, then it's the traction motors and she will be able to run under her own power again.

Details:
http://www.projectmiller.org.uk/?p=697

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 21:04:37 »

41001 had her official launch on the Great Central Railway (Nottingham) on Saturday 15th November 2014.

Used with a rake of EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) Mk3s in passenger service for a select group of supporters of Project Miller and the 125 Group. In attendance was Sir Kenneth Grange, designer of the shape and interior layout of the production HSTs (High Speed Train).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQB3_ccSx0Q

Earlier video of test running on the GCR» (Gloucester - next trains)(N) from May:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tppbWWkDmQo

The cab is looking a lot tidier than when I sat in it at RailFest in 2012!

Can't wait to see her on the main line at full chat. Here's hoping there will be a visit to the GWML (Great Western Main Line) at some point in the not too distant future.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 21:22:27 »

Oof, that is a good sound.

Interesting to see GWML (Great Western Main Line)-style signalling at Asher Lane - look to the right of the picture at around 22' 30'' on the first vid and you'll see what I mean.  Roll Eyes

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 21:30:03 »

Interesting to see GWML (Great Western Main Line)-style signalling at Asher Lane - look to the right of the picture at around 22' 30'' on the first vid and you'll see what I mean.  Roll Eyes

Yep. Looks like a couple of signal posts having a lie down.  Grin

41001 also scared the birds from the trees at the around the same point in the first video. Any nearby squirrel may have dropped his nuts when the two-tone sounded. And dropped them again when the turbo screamed.  Grin Grin Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 03:24:46 »

41001 has been running on a number of lines/at a number of gala event this year but now from Rail Advent

The 125 Group has announced that 41001 has been withdrawn from traffic after engines have been discovered.

Power car 41001 has shown signs of possible engine issues which require investigation from the tram.

This means that they have had to withdraw it from forthcoming commitments to prevent any further damage occurring.

A somewhat rushed post (up to my personal very best typo standards) me thinks, but I'm sure you'll get the drift ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 07:59:39 »

I appreciate this comment......
A somewhat rushed post (up to my personal very best typo standards) me thinks, but I'm sure you'll get the drift ...

but I do like this particular statement..........
The 125 Group has announced that 41001 has been withdrawn from traffic after engines have been discovered.

Sorry grahame. absolutely no offence meant, but I just had to  Grin Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 08:09:27 »

I appreciate this comment......

but I do like this particular statement..........

Sorry grahame. absolutely no offence meant, but I just had to  Grin Wink

It had me rolling with laughter.  Better than my best!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 10:17:08 »

Who'd have thought that it would have an engine !
What a discovery. .  .
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 10:50:15 »

Further report from the 125 group

125 Group is very sorry to advise that during operation at the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway Diesel and Mixed Traffic Gala, Prototype HST (High Speed Train) Power Car 41001 has shown signs of a possible engine issue which requires investigation before any further running. We have regretfully withdrawn it from all forthcoming commitments as a precaution and to prevent any major damage.

This means that ...

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 22:28:24 »

From the 125 group

125 Group is very sad to announce that unique Prototype Power Car 41001 will be returning to its owner, the National Railway Museum at York in early November, at the end of the current operating agreement. Despite best efforts, 125 Group and the Science Museum Group have been unable to reach a new agreement and the Science Museum Group has made the decision to terminate the loan.

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 08:22:14 »

It has caused quite a stir, especially since the 125 Group have spent significant funds on its restoration. There is a suggestion that the recall of 55002 is similar.

It is possible that this is an outcome of the Science Museum’s recent review, link below

https://www.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/op-rail-vehicle-strategy-2019_FINAL.pdf
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 16:45:34 »

The NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about) has now released on Twitter the reasons for 41001's return
It is with regret that the National Railway Museum will not renew the 125 Group’s operational loan agreement for HST (High Speed Train) prototype No.41001 and Valenta power unit. [1/4]

The decision has not been taken lightly and follows repeated and serious breaches of conditions in the loan agreement. [2/4]

These include a failure to ensure the security and safety of the power car, refusal to give museum representatives access to the vehicle when requested and unprofessional conduct.
The power car will now return to the custodianship of the National Railway Museum. [3/4]

We would like to thank members of the 125 Group for their efforts over several years. [4/4]
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 17:07:21 »

A not very professional public utterance. Ranting about contracts then damming with faint praise. Doesn't show the NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about) in a particularly good light.

Stark contrast to the 125 Group statement about 41001.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 16:17:31 »

Porterbrook to donate 2 power cars too the 125Group!

Richard Clinnick of Rail Magazine on Twitter
From
@PB_Leasing
: “We heard and we listened! Porterbrook will donate 43048 and 43089 to the
@125Group
.” They will move across once
@EastMidRailway
 is finished with them.
Edit to correct first number
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 16:54:09 by bradshaw » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: