07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 08:21:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoration of original prototype HST to service  (Read 12737 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 19:09:52 »

No comment (!) on the NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about)'s decision and how they've publicised it ... sad for the 125 group and so much effort put in. However, I (and I'm sure many more like me) are so, so familiar with the production units are rarely if even saw the prototype. Might not a chance to travel around in a pukka HST (High Speed Train) for many, many years to come might even be a good compromise that turns out to be even better than the original plan?  And, perhaps a good job that NRM pulled back 41001 now, at a time that others (such as Porterbrook) have power cars with no new homes.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 22:55:39 »

From York Press

PLANS for a massive expansion of York’s National Railway Museum - including a new Central Hall across Leeman Road - have been given an £18.5 million boost by the Government.

Culture Secretary Nicky Morgan said the money will "kickstart the radical transformation" of a museum at the cultural heart of the York Central redevelopment scheme.

“The exciting new gallery and exhibition spaces will ensure the museum continues to be a huge draw for visitors and a wonderful celebration of our country’s proud railway heritage,” she said.

Museum director Judith McNicol said the funding was "wonderful news" for the museum and city and an extremely significant milestone in realising its £55 million ‘Vision 2025’ campaign to turn the museum into a truly world-class attraction.

What are they planning to show in the new spaces?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 11:46:10 »

Unfortunately, the NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about) decision to pickle 41001 is absolutely correct. As a unique historic artefact, seminal in high speed development, it cannot be subject to the necessary high wear and tear of continued operation, when a near alternative is available. It's a pity NRM didn't decide this earlier but conditions do change.

While the sudden free gift of two power cars is amazing, it does pose significant problems for the 125 Group. The prototype power car is really a conventional loco, in terms of couplings and ETS (Electric Train Supply). The coaches obtained by the group were therefore loco hauled Mark 3a's, except for the latest TGS. The production power cars have internal EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) (Alliance) couplings and different ETS supplies. Also the control circuits had caused problems with the hauled stock.   

My sympathies are with this outstandingly able group.

Their Swallow-liveried Mark 3a's put the 800's in the shade!

OTC

Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 14:35:13 »

If that's the reason (though it's not what the NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about) are saying), I'm sure the 125 Group would have preferred being told at the outset, before they invested a lot of effort and money in returning it to working order before being pickled.  I've seen reference to something similar happening to one of the Deltics, though don't know any of the background, but could imagine it will be more difficult to get future cooperation from heritage groups. 

AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 19:00:38 »

Should others, such as the Swanage Rly where major fund raising is in progress to restore the Nation's/NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about)'s L&SWR» (South Western Railway - about) T3 4-4-0 loco to working order, now be especially concerned ?
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 19:22:18 »

The T3 was donated to the line in 2017 rather than being loaned
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-48685006
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 20:24:34 »

Should others, such as the Swanage Rly where major fund raising is in progress to restore the Nation's/NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about)'s L&SWR» (South Western Railway - about) T3 4-4-0 loco to working order, now be especially concerned ?

The T3 was donated to the line in 2017 rather than being loaned
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-48685006

Assuming the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) to be accurate and there are no strings attached to the donation, that reads to be a different situation to 41001 and (perhaps - have no details) 55002.

I am reminded that when taking on a contract / agreement to work with someone, it's important to look at the end point even in the optimism of the start point.   Sad memories of a decision to take on a 7 year contract for the hotel for a service (equipment plus maintenance). Change of plans after 2 years due to the passing of the company secretary, and no further use for the lease equipment - but no escape clause or offer of any compromise.  We still the  equipment, unused, and continue to pay. Either more fool us, or a gamble that didn't come off.   Every other organisation was very good; last thing you need at such a time is more heartache.    Hope that NRM sees the 125 group right ...

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 09:32:17 »

Is it just my perception, or does the NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about) have form when it comes to misunderstandings of this sort?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 09:36:46 »

Is it just my perception, or does the NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about) have form when it comes to misunderstandings of this sort?

I would expect so - they are museum curators, and the 125 Group ... aren't. calling them enthusiasts would miss the point that a lot of them are very experienced and qualified, but they are bound to look at things (big old mechanical things in particular) in quite a different way from the NRM's writers of protocols for loans.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 18:28:34 »

And someone else not liking it when the National Railway Museum wants the toys it's lent out back

From the Northern Echo

He said: “It appears on the town coat of arms, the borough council’s badge and on the mayor’s chains. Locomotion No 1 has a totemic status in Darlington.

“It is unbelievable that having tried to work with the National Railway Museum in preparations for 2025, with a great deal of harmony with Durham and Stockton, that this could be pulled out of the hat now really feels like a kick in the teeth, not only for this town, but all the partners who have been working so hard to have a harmonious 2025 celebration.”

Cllr Wallis called on residents to get their “creative campaigning hats on”. He said: “What the National Railway Museum need to know is that they are going to be in a world of pain if they continue to pursue this ill-judged plan. Certainly wherever I go as mayor and talk about the railways I will be raising this.

“The National Railway Museum need to know this isn’t something that’s going to happen in a year or so and go away, we will fight tooth and nail to keep our history in our town. God forbid it does move we will continue fighting and campaigning until it is returned.”
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 19:27:47 by Red Squirrel » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 16:10:50 »

Pattern?

From The Guardian

A row has broken out between rival railway museums over the ownership of the world’s first passenger steam train.

Darlington council wants Locomotion No 1 to stay in the town’s Head of Steam Museum but the National Railway Museum (NRM), which owns the train, wants to move it 10 miles away to Locomotion, its museum in Shildon.

The train is a unique souvenir of Britain’s pioneering role in the development of rail transport in the early 19th century and has been on display in Darlington for 163 years.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: