Delayed
11:52 London Paddington to Hereford
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 13:13:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[180] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[114] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[49] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[46] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting day in prospect - May 30th  (Read 10503 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2011, 21:37:45 »

Football meets FGW (First Great Western). With Swansea and Reading meeting at Wembley in the Championship final I wonder if there will be any changes to services on the day to keep the fans apart. Would they run some South Wales services non stop through Reading or try to enforce set down only on the up journey and pick up only on the return?

Whatever they do it could have been worse. An all Wales final was on the cards til Reading beat Cardiff!
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 22:37:57 »

They will probably lay on extra services, run dry services and have a load of BTP (British Transport Police) around!

That's what the usual outcome is on the many other sporting events that have affected FGW (First Great Western) land!

Here, there and Everywhere!!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 22:42:54 »

True. But it's not often you get both sets of fans on the same route.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 00:08:44 »

Um Stoke and Man City! VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) ran footexes tho.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 13:45:52 »

Imagine how much more of a headache it would have been had Cardiff beaten Reading!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 13:50:42 »

Will it have much effect on late evening up services via reading?  I'm thinking I'm on the 5ish departure from penzance gets into PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) at 1030ish

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 13:54:18 »

Yes, as I said BNM Wink

Wouldn't have thought so Mookiemoo. Whatever forms that service from PNZ will have come down mid morning so going against the flow.

I am planning a day out that day. Might try going against the flow and see if Swansea and the Gower are empty!  Got the Isle of Wight on the Saturday.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 14:02:21 »

It was me who was guilty of not reading the whole post.  Not the first time poor old BMN has taken the rap for me I think!   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 14:07:06 »

Whoops. My apologies. I blame it on my continuing double vision. (and not alcohol induced!)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 00:11:06 »

Er...um... why am I being referenced in this thread?

And II... I'm happy with 'poor', but less of the 'old' if you please!  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 00:20:34 »

I still haven't a clue why I attributed it to you.  At least I didn't compound it with age references. But then as I reach a half century next month thoughts of stones and glasshouses would prevent me.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 13:01:39 »

FGW (First Great Western) are putting on 3 extra services to London in the morning and 2 back in the evening which will run non stop through Reading:

www.thisissouthwales.co.uk
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 14:24:53 »

So what service are First Great Western running on Bank Holiday Monday?  The "additional" 6.58 mentioned in the article runs on Monday to Friday (and isn't marked Bank Holidays excepted) anyway.  It runs on Saturdays too which according to National Rail is what FGW (First Great Western) are running on the Bank Holiday.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/seasonal/Easter+May2011/firstgreatwestern.html

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 20:45:09 »

From Newbury Today:

Reading supporters travelling to Monday's match will not be able to buy group saver tickets with First Great Western

Reading Football Club fans in West Berkshire travelling by train to the play-off final on Monday will not be able to use group saver tickets through train operator, First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)).
The tickets, which can save each member of a group of four about ^10 for a day return trip to London, are not being permitted on all services on Monday, as it is one of the operator^s ^barred dates^ owing to the Run to the Sun festival in Cornwall and other Bank Holiday events.
This has however angered fans, who have hit out at the train operator with thousands of people expected to travel via public transport to the capital for the one-off game.
Nigel Chambers, who tried to buy a group saver ticket for Monday at Newbury train station yesterday (Thursday), said he was dismayed to find a sign at the station saying that First Great Western weren^t honouring the tickets on Monday, as he had not found such information on the operator^s website.
He said: ^I suggest with the large number of people travelling from Swansea and Reading on Monday, it is just blatant profiteering from First Great Western.^
FGW spokesman, John Ratchford, confirmed that Monday was one of the dates when group savers were not permitted due to specific events, as announced earlier this year, adding that people could still buy tickets in a group on Monday, but there would be no saving in doing so.
He added that the information should be communicated to customers at train stations, including via signage.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 10:01:10 »

Well the FGW (First Great Western) website has certainly lived up to its reputation this morning. There is no mention of which trains from Swansea will not be making their booked calls at Reading either as a news story or on the live updates. (National Rail's live departures show some not calling and others are).

As for Groupsave the list of restrictions ran out at the end of April so nothing about today.

However if you want to look at last winter's timetable for historical research they are still there!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: