19:47 Bristol Temple Meads to Frome
Delayed
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 20:29:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW publicity machine  (Read 21886 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2011, 23:09:49 »

Has it finally ground to a halt?

The last news release on the website was before Christmas. There is nothing highlighting the plus points in the new timetable (and there are a few). Tonight they ran trains every 15 minutes back to Reading until after 23:00 following racing and a concert at Newbury Racecourse. However they didn't tell anyone they were doing it.

It just seems they are missing opportunity after opportunity to promote the positive things they do.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 16:34:44 »

[sigh]Sadly, the website has not been FGW (First Great Western)'s strong point over the course of this franchise and I doubt that this will change much now they are not taking the option to extend the franchise. Still has the old timetables listed five days after they have expired which doesn't show much committment to maintaining the site.  Sad

On a more positive note they are still producing an excellent Network timetable which is full of useful information but even that keeps pointing to the website to try and get you away from using paper timetables.

If we are being encouraged to use the website more then maybe some more effort needs to be taken to maintain it.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 18:50:39 »

Away from the website for a mo....

.... I've made four attempts at purchasing the FGW (First Great Western) Network Timetable, two at Temple Meads, one at Bristol Parkway and one at Cheltenham.

Both times at Temple Meads they were locked away in a safe to which ticket office clerks had no access and the supervisor who did, was, firstly not on shift, and secondly, on a break. Bristol Parkway had had them delivered but front office hadn't been given the go ahead to sell them and thus had no 'record sheet' (their words) to record sales. Thus I was refused, point blank, the opportunity to purchase one. Cheltenham was a shot in the dark. Didn't expect them to have stock - and I was right.

Will try again next week.....

...back to the website.

The amount of out of date and incorrect information on FGW's website is very disappointing. One gets the impression they've given up on this side of the business. You really do get the impression that things are slowly winding down.....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 18:59:36 »

One gets the impression they've given up on this side of the business. You really do get the impression that things are slowly winding down.....
I'm also getting the impression that "the people on the ground" are starting to wind down.  The number of incidences of "slap-dash behaviour" that I've seen recently is unacceptable.

Today I was on a service where the conductor didn't even know where the train was going to.  "Welcome aboard this First Great Western service to Great ... err, err, err, no, Cardiff Central.  Calling at Romsey, Salisbury, Warminster [interference followed by long pause] Westbury...".  Presumably answering the phone whilst making this announcement.  After the next stop, we got "Welcome aboard the service to err err err Cardiff".

I've had my railcard replacement refused twice at Temple Meads.  One claimed that I couldn't have it replaced a second time within a year.  The other said 25 minutes before my train wasn't enough time (even though it only took five minutes last time).  I've given up getting this replaced - if it becomes illegible and anyone comments, I'll be referring them to said members of staff at Temple Meads.

Then the barrier staff.  I was let through with a ticket that was six weeks old.  My rover was in the railcard wallet, but turned out that I put the wrong ticket at the front after an on-train check.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 19:00:39 »

Re the timetable book.  I had exactly the same experience at Reading when the last one was published. Why they were locked away I have no idea. The fact they weren't on the computer apparently meant they couldn't have sold me one anyway!! After three attempts I wrote to Customer Services to point out how silly it was and they sent me one free of charge. I haven't been to get one this time round but it sounds like nothing has changed.

Re the website. I agree it does have an air of running down about it. However I would suggest this has been the case for the last 18 months or two years.

I wonder if it ever gets raised at any of the MtM sessions or by the Panels.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 19:35:33 »

Regards the purchasing of the FGW (First Great Western) Network Timetable. It wasn't an exactly straightforward purchase when I bought a copy last Saturday at Bath Spa (that looked like the dog had had a go at it and was told they all look like that in the box) because the staff on duty at the time didn't know how to input it into their computer system until eventually they found that it goes under the heading 'timetable'.  Cheesy I had similar problems the last time I tried to purchase a copy at Bath Spa. One gets the impression that they don't sell very many copies there  Roll Eyes.

It is also worth noting that there are many Autumn Sunday timetables missing from the book this time around and you are asked to go a timetable supplement page on the website. I really do hope FGW follow through with this now they have said this in the book and place this page on the website in the not too distant future otherwise the book is quite incomplete. Sundays from 30th October are also incomplete in the National Rail Timetable Table 125. Is it really too much to ask that TOCs (Train Operating Company)/Network Rail get their timetables completed in time for the publishing of the new timetable?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 22:35:35 »

Thanks for that Timmer.  Roll Eyes Looks like Bath Spa is the place to go for a FGW (First Great Western) Network Timetable. Not aware that the retailing of said timetable required use of the 'computer system'. In the past it's just been a case of a 'record sheet' that the clerks needed to fill out when deigning to hand one over!

Quite why these books need to be secured in a safe or only sold once management give the go ahead, is beyond me!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 23:31:05 »

Or try Oxford. Haven't bought the new book but when I bought the December issue there was a poster promoting it up next to the queue barriers and the clerk seemed to have no trouble entering it on her screen at the same time as selling me a ticket, though the book itself had to be fetched from a back office.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 03:06:05 »

The FGW (First Great Western) Network Timetable is an auditable item which is why they are numbered, and have to go through the system.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 09:55:46 »

On the week that the previous network timetable was released, I asked for one at the concourse information desk at Paddington for one.  I was handed a "colleagues Guide"  containing all the TTs for free by a very friendly chap who said he had hundreds of them and was try to get rid of them
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 21:27:27 »

No problem getting one at Truro. Asked "have you got a ^3 all line FGW (First Great Western) tt?" Clerk picked one out of a box, I handed over ^3, he handed over the tt. In and out in 10 seconds flat!!

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 21:11:57 »

Does anyone know if you get an auto-acknowledgement when you email FGW (First Great Western) via the contact page on the website?  I sent an email this morning about its pitiful state and not had anything back.  I know in the distant past you did get a reference number but that may have changed.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 20:12:22 »

On a more positive note they are still producing an excellent Network timetable which is full of useful information but even that keeps pointing to the website to try and get you away from using paper timetables.

I'm now in possession of a copy of the FGW (First Great Western) network timetable, after a recent trip through Bristol Temple Meads where I was able to coincide my visit to the Travel Centre with a supervisor who was on duty and had access to the safe where these valuable documents were stored.   Roll Eyes Tongue Grin.

Sadly I can't agree that the latest book is 'excellent'. Many timetables are missing details of weekend services after September/October, despite the front cover saying, "Contains all First Great Western Timetables. 22 May to 10 December 2011."

They've also changed the line-up of timetables so they now are now in numerical order similar to the list of .pdfs on the website, rather than the loose geographical sections of previous network timetables. That's not really a criticism, more a personal preference based on what's gone before. The new layout does make sense I suppose. However I've got kinda used to the previous layout. Now I flip through the new book as I did the old one and timetables aren't where I've grown used to them being. Have to refer to the index now.  Roll Eyes

All that said, I complained to FGW Customer Services about the missing weekend timetables in the book. They're sending me a ^3 RTV by way of apology. Yay!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 20:18:03 »

Has it got the Severn Beach timetable (Table 133) that was left out of the Network Rail one (published by TSO (The Stationary Office (now OPSI))) apparently?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 21:27:59 »

Yep. SVB line is in the new book. FGW (First Great Western) Timetable no. 29. Just not where it was before. With a totally confusing entry for the Bristol bound Sunday service. It is mistakenly headed Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach rather than the other way round, as the inbound service should be, along with confusing dates for the three periods of operation:

1) Until 11th September.
2) From 18th September to 23rd October. 
3) From 30th September

So, do I refer to table 2 or 3 on say, Sunday 9th October. 30th September isn't even a Sunday!

Just one example of many errors and omissions. Yes, I know that third table should be: From 30th October.

If FGW want a proof reader in future I'd happily offer my services! They don't even bother to put an 'E&OE' disclaimer anywhere in the book. Not good enough when it's something you have to pay for.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 22:18:36 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: