I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:59:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW publicity machine  (Read 21303 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 21:38:51 »

Have you read Barry Doe's article in Rail. He proof read for the national book and according to him they took no notice of the things he spotted.  Bet Bradshaw never had this trouble!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 22:05:39 »

I almost despair of the National Rail Timetable now. Sure when BR (British Rail(ways)) were responsible for the big book there were errors but at least it contained a supplement book that came with the timetable to correct most of those errors. Now whether you buy the TSO (The Stationary Office (now OPSI)) version or the Middleton Press version you get the first version that is printed full of errors and told to go to the Network Rail National Rail Timetable page to get the corrected pages which is dependent on the TOCs (Train Operating Company) highlighting the errors before the pages are updated.

Barry Doe is right to be concerned about the way it is currently being handled.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 22:14:50 »

All that said, I complained to FGW (First Great Western) Customer Services about the missing weekend timetables in the book. They're sending me a ^3 RTV by way of apology. Yay!
As I said earlier in this thread, so long as FGW follow through with their plan to provide a timetable supplement online or for collection for weekend services from the Autumn I will be reasonably happy. If not an email will be going to customer services asking why this hasn't happened?

I agree it is annoying that they weren't in the timetable book in the first place though.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 10:34:32 »

Have you read Barry Doe's article in Rail. He proof read for the national book and according to him they took no notice of the things he spotted.  Bet Bradshaw never had this trouble!
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 10:39:22 »

I have noticed there are 2 threads on this topic, the other one being  in the Help & Assistance Board.   I will use this one and would like to say that although the train disruption information has improved on the FGW (First Great Western) Website,  I have only seen short formed gen a couple of times and  no catering shortcomings listed at all.     I find it hard to believe that they are perfect , especially on the afternoon Brighton !!!
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 21:26:37 »

I am surprised that no mention is made on the FGW (First Great Western) Home Page of their Website of the TAKE THAT Concerts in Cardiff on the nights of Tuesday and Wednesday this week with approx 60,000 expected to be present each night.   Wondering if they have any plans for strengthening the late trains back to Bristol.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 22:32:09 »

Call me cynical but I wouldnt hold your breath.

It really frustrates me. For all the FGW (First Great Western) get wrong they do get a lot right but just don't seem to like to blow their own trumpet. They could make so much better use of their website.

Why not put a piece on about the first stage of work on the Coltswold Line?
Why not boast about their Pullman services in the light of East Coast cutting back?
Why not highlight the services for Henley Regatta?

It goes on.

I've emailed them a while back but not had a reply.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 01:04:01 »

FGW (First Great Western) provided a 150/1 and crew free to West Somerset Railway to shuttle punters from Taunton to Bishops Lyderard on Sat/Sun for their "mixed traction" weekend and to provide a direct service at the start/end of day to Bristol TM(resolve) - that wasn't mentioned anywhere either.  Sad

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 02:23:01 »

They are doing additionals for take that at Cardiff.

FGW (First Great Western) are due to be getting a new website soon, lets hope it's used better.
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 11:04:59 »

Mind you, they seem pretty keen to tell everyone all about Volo TV!
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 20:32:21 »

Thank you Ollie for info re special for Take That.   I wonder if anybody with clout reads this Forum
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 23:31:05 »

No worries, sorry for not having more useful info such as actual timings..
insider

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 12:40:26 »

the train disruption information has improved on the FGW (First Great Western) Website,  I have only seen short formed gen a couple of times and  no catering shortcomings listed at all.     I find it hard to believe that they are perfect , especially on the afternoon Brighton !!!

Catering alterations are no longer advertised on the website or journey check. It has been decided that this information is not worthy of being on the website but will be displayed on CIS (Customer Information System) at stations. The theory behind this is that the live updates are really for service disruption, and not to advertise trolley services etc..

With regards to short formations I have been informed that the spec for this info to be displayed has also been changed.

Short formations will now only be listed as follows:
Monday ^ Fridays Paddington & Bristol TM(resolve) peak services arrivals until 10:00 and departures 1600-1900

And then they will only be listed if 50% or less seating capacity than advertised will be provided.

There are however some exceptions, such as a short form that may be require additional road transport such as the Newquay branch for example.

This overall review is part of the national PIDD (Passenger Information During Disruption) (Passenger Information During Disruption) project and ensuring the website and control staff are concentrating on delays, cancellations and alterations and not 2 coaches vice 3 on multiple diagrams.

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 20:11:12 »

This overall review is part of the national PIDD (Passenger Information During Disruption) (Passenger Information During Disruption) project and ensuring the website and control staff are concentrating on delays, cancellations and alterations and not 2 coaches vice 3 on multiple diagrams.
That's much better, previously that kind of alterations can make things appear worse than they actually are.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: