27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 02:35:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is an extended journey due to engineering not worthy of mention?  (Read 5480 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2011, 07:40:45 »

This morning I'm off to Birmingham and due to engineering works between Bristol Parkway and Gloucester, the train I plan to catch (0930 CrossCountry Bristol TM(resolve) - Birmingham NS) is diverted after Bristol PW (Permanent Way) to Newport then via Chepstow to Gloucester. This adds over 50 minutes to the journey time BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-BHM.

Neither CrossCountry nor NRE(resolve) list these diversions in their respective 'Service Updates' sections. I would've been totally unaware of the extended journey and different route if I hadn't checked my journey online this morning. Using SWTs (South West Trains) booking engine as it happens.

If engineering works are affecting trains then why not list ALL affected trains? Not just those cancelled or subject to bus replacement.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 07:58:08 »

NRE(resolve) showed the extended journey time when I checked?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:35:36 »

The published timetable already includes this 'round the houses' service on Sunday mornings, so they aren't diversions, is the answer.

Because XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Sunday timetables change so often you have to read them very carefully, particularly as the same train can occur more than once, with dated column headings.  The 0930 trains shown (yes there are two of them) which run via Newport, are in the normal timetable - so are not actually affected by engineering works.

http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/SiteImages/Assets/3/South_West_to_Manchester_the_North_East_and_Scotland.pdf

There are plenty of precedents for this, the odd trains that run (or previously ran) to/from Southampton via Laverstock could only be found by checking the published times.

PS, it would probably be more useful if Newport appeared between Parkway and Gloucester in sequence...

Paul
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:46:26 by paul7755 » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 16:08:49 »

NRE(resolve) showed the extended journey time when I checked?

In the 'service updates' section?

My point is that all CrossCountry services were diverted via Newport today (well 'til 3pm). Admittedly I didn't look at the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) timetable - but that's understandable when there are three different possibilities for departure around 0930 on a Sunday. One at 0915, going 'normal' route. One at 0930 via Newport terminating Birmingham, and one at 0930 via Newport through to Edinburgh.

The reason there are three different departures is not because CrossCountry want to go round the houses or stop short on a Sunday, it's because there are planned engineering works. And my point is - if services are affected by planned engineering works then say so in the relevant section of the XC and NRE websites. I don't want to faff around with inputting all my journey details or loading up pdfs (a nightmare on my not-so-smartphone).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 19:25:13 »

It was in the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) timetable, and in the normal train times of the NRE(resolve) - with it showing the extended journmey time.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 22:47:47 »

I'm with BNM on this one, having been caught out in the same way in the past.

I have a reasonable idea about what my train services look like in terms of frequency and journey time - and so I'm quite happy about turning up and expecting to find a train. Perhaps it's having been brought up within the old Southern Region.

Anyway, if there's engineering work that means my train turns into a bus halfway and takes an extra hour, I'd like to be able to find out about that quickly, without, as BNM says, having to go through the faff of looking up exact trains in a journey planner.

Meanwhile, I (and I suspect an awful lot of other people) have largely given up travelling by train at the weekend.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 23:22:38 »

The 0930 trains shown (yes there are two of them) which run via Newport, are in the normal timetable - so are not actually affected by engineering works.

It's precisely because THEY are affected by planned engineering works that there are three (not two) different entries in the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) timetable for the first train BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-BHM on a Sunday.

So, I stand by my point. Put the information on the 'service updates' pages of NRE(resolve) and XC's website. If the info is there it's a quick reference point and negates the need to use a booking engine, journey planner or loading up .pdf timetables.

All that said, it was nice to have an XC HST (High Speed Train) on my return journey. A pleasant conversation was had with three young people (two lads and a lass) who were enjoying their last day of freedom prior to turning up at Plymouth to start their first night at HMS Raleigh with the Royal Navy. Good luck, Alex, Rich and Sam!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 23:32:30 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 23:28:57 »

So, I stand by my point. Put the information on the 'service updates' pages of NRE(resolve) and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))'s website. If the info is there it's a quick reference point and negates the need to use a booking engine, journey planner or loading up .pdf timetables.
If you can find PDFs : FGW (First Great Western) have stopped making their timetable posters available on their website.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 02:46:28 »

the 2nd xc service has 5 possibilitys depending on what the different letter codes mean, so grant yourself lucky your service only had 3 options!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 15:54:57 »

Same again this weekend.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 16:51:24 by Henry » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 12:06:04 »

And again, in the timetable.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 12:56:19 »

As an aside. According to the Virgin Trains website the planned closure this weekend on the West Coast Main Line in the Warrington area is NOT going ahead and trains will run through to Scotland.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 14:37:59 »

JUst in case the volcanic cloud reappears...

Any mention of the Carlisle to Scotland section that was also up for closure?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 14:40:50 »

As through trains are running it seems all the works on that area have been lifted.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: