11:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
12:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
14:23 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 12:51:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[298] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[82] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Cornish delays
[53] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[30] Where have I been?
[29] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Olympic Trains timetabble released  (Read 5051 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« on: May 25, 2011, 02:44:44 »

Seems the  train timetable for the 2012 olympics has been released

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13534021

Last train to Cardiff is at 01:00 i wonder if this is also continuing to Swansea and will serve Bristol TM(resolve) as i cannot find a link to the last trains to Bristol & Swansea etc.

This maybe the wrong place, but i couldnt really decide where to put it on the forum so if it wrong could the mod's put it in a more suitable location
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:56:14 »

My local station, which normally has 6 tph toward London, is going to have a reduced service of 2 tph during the Olympics 'to reduce overcrowding'! It appears that they are going to stop the trains at only one station (probably Greenwich, but maybe Maze Hill), and, because the dwell time is likely to be excessive due to the number of people at that staion, they will non-stop through all the others. Strange thinking particularly from an organisation that competently shifts thousands of people every morning and evening without resorting to such nonsense.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:03:17 »

Prices for the rail tickets, which can be bought from a dedicated website, have not been released.
Only people with event tickets will be able to buy the 2012 Games train fares.
So the rest of us lose the ability to travel on our rail network because of the Olympics?

And "longer trains" probably means other services will be shorter.  Most likely at the expense of commuters.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 08:11:37 »

Think I'm going to go into hibernation and/or depending on where I'm working, hopefully in the outer hebrides, lodge there for two weeks

bah bloody humbug

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 08:38:48 »

According to Network Rail http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/Press-Releases/OLYMPIC-AND-PARALYMPIC-TIMETABLE-BOOSTS-RAIL-SERVICES-FOR-LONDON-2012-GAMES-1772/SearchCategoryID-2.aspx the Cardiff service will call at Swindon, Chippenham, Bath Spa, Bristol Temple Meads, Bristol Parkway and Newport.

There will also be a 00:30 for Exeter St Davids calling at Bristol Temple Meads and Taunton and a 01:30 to Oxford calling at Slough, Reading and Didcot Parkway.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 11:16:02 »

I don't think the whole TT has been released, has it? Just the 'highlights & last trains.

No, that Cardiff train does terminate there - fares will only be available for Olympic ticket holders until the usual 12-week booking period opens, then I understand it's the usual free-for all.
Rail tickets bought with an Olympic ticket will receive reservations on trains booked, but the ticket is flexible should travel plans change or Olympic times run late.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 18:56:48 »

Using Maidenhead Station during the Rowing might be problematical the stair cases are bad enough with normal commuter traffic, indeed just moving around the Maidenhead area by road will be challenging, there is some information coming out that the A4 through Taplow will be closed in the mornings to move the athletes into the venue and the a A308 thorough to Windsor could well be log jammed with coaches doing shuttle services between the Race course and Maidenhead, Windsor & Slough stations.

I think will be on holiday in Paris that month, that is if NR» (Network Rail - home page) allow leave during that time!

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 19:01:15 »

Using Maidenhead Station during the Rowing might be problematical, the stair cases are bad enough.....

Even more so if you're carrying a single/double scull, four or eight.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 19:05:39 »

Don't start on the coxless pairs please  Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 20:15:45 »

Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 09:23:04 »

Think I'm going to go into hibernation and/or depending on where I'm working, hopefully in the outer hebrides, lodge there for two weeks

bah bloody humbug

I would like to ! but have to work in central London.
Looking at prices of folding beds to camp at work ! I forsee substantial disruption to public transport, and even taking a taxi wont help much since I understand that some main roads will be closed to all but olyimpic traffic.
Bob Crow will presumable threaten strike action as well.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 09:26:27 »

Staff appear to be being bribed to work normally....
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 14:20:35 »

Agree with Electric train moving round MAidenhead is not going to be fun. Still Taplow should be quite as it's not an official railhead.

Heard stories about closures of the A4 at Taplow. I think it's a sort of rolling road block with the athletes sweeping down the M4 to Junction 7 then along the A4 and down Marsh Lane to Dorney Lake.

May take up offer to rent house for the duration.
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 23:21:13 »

There will also be a 00:30 for Exeter St Davids calling at Bristol Temple Meads and Taunton and a 01:30 to Oxford calling at Slough, Reading and Didcot Parkway.

That 00:30 to Exeter sounds very interesting.  Non-stop to Bristol Temple Meads! Which will be quite a novelty.  Wonder if it'll be a a proper fast run with a journey time of say 1 hour 15 minutes, or if it'll be a more of a slower relaxed journey time of say 1 hour 40 minutes.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 23:34:53 »

That 00:30 to Exeter sounds very interesting.  Non-stop to Bristol Temple Meads! Which will be quite a novelty.  Wonder if it'll be a a proper fast run with a journey time of say 1 hour 15 minutes, or if it'll be a more of a slower relaxed journey time of say 1 hour 40 minutes.

Having recently done a non stop run in the opposite direction between Bristol and Reading I agree it would be interesting. However I suspect the list was just journalistic shorthand and it will call enroute.  People in Wiltshire will want a second service if Bristol is getting one!  If not it might as well go via the Berks & Hants and serve that area.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: