I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:34:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Unfair pricing system for Swindon commuters  (Read 18351 times)
SusanW

View Profile Email
« on: November 01, 2007, 13:24:43 »

Hi there,

I have recently moved from Oxford to Swindon and still commute into London Paddington most days. From Oxford, the journey takes roughly an hour, usually with two stops and generally fairly unrealiable. From Swindon, the journey takes roughly an hour, usually with two stops and gerenally fairly unrealiable. What is the difference you may ask? Well, a Swindon to London monthly season ticket costs nearly twice as much (^560 with 5% discount) as from Oxford (^330 with 5% discount)!

Why is there this enormous discrepancy in fares? I realise that the journey is further in miles, and would even be prepared to pay, perhaps ^100 more per month, for this luxury of speedy travel (not). But nearly twice as much? It is making me question the sanity of having a London-based job which I love.

I have complained to FGW (First Great Western) but their response was that the the fares are set by Network Rail and its nothing to do with them - is this true? Does anyone know why the fares are so much higher or tried to find out?

I would love to hear from anyone who has thought of a way round them. For about ^30 less a month you can get separate season tickets to and from didcot parkway but it's not that much difference. I have heard that some people drive from Swindon to Didcot and get the train there rather than paying the higher fare price, but seeing as it is a good hours drive to Didcot this can't be a solution for regular commuters.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Susan
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 15:34:39 »

you can do that but just make sure that the train you get on at Swindon calls at Didcot Parkway (most do) as the National Conditions of Carriage stipulate that if you use two season tickets for one journey the train MUST call at the station where the two season tickets 'seperate'

If you use one season ticket and one ticket then there is no requirement but two seasons or two tickets for the same journey (with a few exceptions) the train must.

Regards

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 15:51:37 »

I understand that ticket prices from Chippenham / Swindon to London are the most expensive  anywhere in Europe on a main line, mile for mile on a regular train. The are "long distance" fares which were allowed to rise to a very much higher level per mile than more local ("commuter") fares many years ago, especially on services that were very fast and very high  quality compared to what was general at the time.   So that's really "when the HSTs (High Speed Train) were brought in".     As a result, it's often much cheaper to buy two tickets for two parts of the journey which you are allowed to do provided that the trains you use stop at the swap over point.  So if you buy separate Swindon - Didcot and Didcot-Paddington, you can't use a train that goes nonestop from Reading to Swindon.

FGW (First Great Western) are right that these fares are controlled - i.e. not set by them.  They could (if they wanted to boost traffic) offer special fares at a lower rate and indeed they do so in off peak times with a bewildering array of conditions designed to stop them being useful to peak hour commuters.  But I thing their feeling is "why should we reduce fares on that service in the peak when the train is full anyway - it's more money to pay for our franchise and shareholders" and in a commercial world they're right.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 16:27:20 »

1 Hour @ ^560

Think of the poor sods in Exeter:

2 hours @ ^1994.20
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 18:20:42 »

Yet in the far west season tickets are a bargain Penzance to truro (40 mins) ^25 for 7 days, Penzance-Plymouth (2 hours) ^45 for 7 days Truro-Falmouth ^11.70 for 7 days!
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 18:59:13 »

Yet in the far west season tickets are a bargain Penzance to truro (40 mins) ^25 for 7 days, Penzance-Plymouth (2 hours) ^45 for 7 days Truro-Falmouth ^11.70 for 7 days!

Same with lines like Severn Beach.

In Cornwall though, they are brilliant prices

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 20:09:57 »

I think you might find that BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) to Reading is the most expensive at over ^570 per month for 1 hour travel!

This is the same price as BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to Reading which is 1 hour 20 minutes!

I believe that train prices should be less that than cost of driving, and driving 150 miles for 20 days, will probably cost  approximately ^450 (AA assumes cost of driving at 15p per mile over the life of the car (http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/advice/advice_rcosts_diesel_table.jsp)).

If Network Rail /FGW (First Great Western) use the argument that they are using price to control demand, it certainly is not working!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 20:32:52 »

The argument measuring cost per hour of travel is a bit spurious. I'm sure those who spend an hour crawling 20 miles each morning wouldn't complain if their journey time halved and their "cost per hour" accordingly doubled. Indeed, you might then argue that they should pay a bit more because their average speed has halved.

I don't believe Network Rail set any ticket prices. It has to be the TOC (Train Operating Company).
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 21:20:45 »

I don't believe Network Rail set any ticket prices. It has to be the TOC (Train Operating Company).

I too didn't think Network Rail had anything to do with the pricing of rail fares unless you consider the track access charges having a contributory factor in the level of fares charged.

I may be wrong but is it not a fact that certain fares are regulated and are set by the Rail Regulator, perhaps the experts can provide a post on this thread to outline generally what fares are regulated and what fares are not.

Where two operators run between two stations one of them, the prime operator, sets fares but the second operator can undercut the prime operators fares by offering fares on XYZ services only.

A case of this was the fares between major stations in South Wales, ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC)) sets the fares but FGW (First Great Western) came in with lower fares available on FGW services only. This prompted, if I recall a price war, with ATW undercutting the FGW fares by reducing the fares they (ATW) set.

Again anyone elaborate on this.

Rail fares have come alongway in my lifetime, I can remember the days when ordinary rail fares were set by rate per mile whether the journey was from Penzance to Truro, Reading to Paddington or Inverness to Invergordon. There were, I think, only Singles, Period Returns, Day Returns and Workmans / Cheap Day / Half Day Returns.

My grandfather used to work as a superintendant crane driver at the Royal Edward Docks, Avonmouth and very often he would get a pass to take me and my brother to the docks on a Sunday morning when he was on duty and he would buy a Workmans Return for himself and Child Cheap Day Returns for my brother and myself. Yes those WERE the days when the Severn Beach line was double track all the way to Hallen Marsh Junction, the line carried on to Severn Beach with a some services continuing to Pilning and Bristol via the circular route and also via Henbury from Hallen Marsh Junction to Bristol which was double track too.

Enough reminiscing.   
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 21:24:07 »

First I've ever heard about Network Rail or Railtrack that went before setting fairs. Thought that was the job of the TOCs/Dft previously the SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) in association with ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) who govern how much Network Rail can charge the TOCs for running on their tracks.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 23:46:23 »

First I've ever heard about Network Rail or Railtrack that went before setting fairs. Thought that was the job of the TOCs/Dft previously the SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) in association with ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) who govern how much Network Rail can charge the TOCs for running on their tracks.
Certain fares are regulated by the ORR, I believe these fares to be Std day singles/returns and Standard open singles/returns and 7 day seasons, although i'm not 100% sure on which ticket types are regulated.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 10:11:05 »

Then you get the silly rule on the cotswold line that caused me to have a discussion with the guard this morning.

I get a WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) - OXF» (Oxford - next trains) and then OXF - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) season ticket. Works out about ^150 cheaper.

Except............Apparently this is only allowed if you have a tube pass on the back of the london end.  But I dont need one so I dont.

Ridiculous

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 10:55:56 »

The guard was talking tripe! you can have a split season ticket as long as the train stops at Oxford!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 12:11:35 »

Interesting - cos the train manager (I should say not guard) is one of the best known on the cotswolds line and has been around for years.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 12:29:16 »

Interesting - cos the train manager (I should say not guard) is one of the best known on the cotswolds line and has been around for years.
I'm in that line of work myself, and i'm sure he's wrong, if there is a season avilable from Oxford to Paddington then you are allowed to buy one! Will look in my Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) machine next time i'm at work and let you know the cheapest option for you.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: