27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 05:36:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: McNulty fails the test  (Read 4136 times)
woody

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2011, 00:18:05 »

The Mcnulty report-the way foreward or a damp squid.Christian Wolmer writing in Rail 671 claims the latter.
http://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/2011/05/rail-671-mcnulty-fails-the-test/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feed%2Fchristianwolmar+%28Christian+Wolmar%29
What do you think.Personally I do think he has a point.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:34:18 »

Wolmar has been very vocal in his criticism of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)). Not sure he's ever referred to it as a damp squid though....

Methinks you meant 'squib'.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 16:50:51 »

The cost of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) is probably rising at the present time due to the cost of taking on the NIMBYs, but overall is HS2 really necessary and expensive especially in the present financial climate.   Seems to be a pet of the Transport Minister.
Going back to McNulty, the actual subject of the topic,  I remember when 2 or 3 experienced railway staff who understood all the ins and outs would be seconded to a project to investigate the remit as to why the cost of running the Railways is so high.   Any railway person with a bit of "savvy" knows that fragmentation is the root cause as appreciated by Mc Nulty.     But because this was caused by privatisation, tje Government will not want to know because of it's political dogma, in fact McNulty may possibly have been briefed not to use the word privatisation for that reason, despite it being the prime cause of the high costs.
Had the experienced railway people I mentioned  worked on this, a report might have been ready within a week or two rather than months and also avoiding the costly use of Consultants as the answer is so blatantly obvious.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 16:56:29 »

That is a very good summation of this month's Informed Sources that Roger Ford sends out!

Having given Sir Roy McNulty^s Rail Value for Money Study the classic Informed Sources ^tables ^ charts^ treatment in the February column, based on the Interim report, this month I look ahead to the what, how and when of implementation.

Despite a daunting list of 11 barriers to efficiency, plus an analysis of the ^many and complex^ causes of rail^s ^excessively high^ costs, Sir Roy is optimistic. He declares: ^The Study does not see this set of barriers as a cause for despair. On the contrary, given that the issues are already fairly widely recognised, it believes that the barriers can be overcome with strong leadership and with concerted efforts from all concerned^.

Talking to a wide range of senior sources, it is clear that the railway industry, while applauding the analysis of the problem, is not always convinced by the solutions proposed. However, Informed Sources close to the Study point out that its real purpose is to get the industry committed to change. 

At the first meeting of the new Railway Delivery Group (RDG(resolve)), Chairman Tim O^Toole reportedly urged members to rise above cynicism.  That the call was considered necessary, and at least one Chief Executive is alleged to have succumbed, pretty well sums up the industry reaction.
Central to Sir Roy^s vision is abandoning the current contractual relationships.  There is a lot of stuff about working together for the common good and the introduction of partnerships. 

So, tough on fragmentation and tough on the causes of fragmentation.  And there^s heavy emphasis on the need for the various parts of the fragmented railway to work more closely if the 30% efficiency gap is to be closed by 2019. ^We^re all in it together^ was a recurring phrase at the press conference to launch the report.

Yet, contrarily, other than calling for various approaches to vertical integration to be tried, the Report seems content to leave the railway fragmented. So top level leadership, in the form of the RDG will be needed to direct the ^substantial programme of change^, focused on cost reduction, culture change and a ^more-integrated whole-system approach^. 
Er, why not start to recreate a ^whole system^?  As my old chum George Muir has pointed out, we can be certain that in the European state railways against which  Sir Roy has benchmarked GB (Great Britain) Rail efficiency does not come from ^a thicket of strategy documents and cross-industry bodies^.

I^m particularly interested in Sir Roy^s proposed ^small, independent Change Team^, which will be responsible for ^planning, coordination, monitoring and reviewing implementation of a programme across all elements of industry of a complex series of actions^.  The Team should be set up by DfT» (Department for Transport - about) but be ^independent from industry and Government at the beginning^ so that it can pursue the reform agenda freely and impartially^. 

I can think of several chums who would be up for this ^inefficiency inquisition^.

Included to explain my comment.

If someone wants to start a specific HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) thread thaty phile mentions above, I've got something to add to that comment of his....
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 17:02:36 by ChrisB » Logged
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 17:20:40 »

Oh, I forgot to say the high cost of engaging Consultants for every little thing when people with sufficient knowledge are already in the Industry  or who have recently retired and may like a little extra pocket money, a practice which has been used in the past.
Not from Brighton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 20:22:19 »

recently retired and may like a little extra pocket money
Sounds like a consultant to me!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: