07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
05:47 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
Delayed
06:04 Basingstoke to Reading
06:40 Reading to Basingstoke
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 06:55:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[88] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[77] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[74] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[62] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[56] A daily picture from my recent travels
[40] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Rail Access to Heathrow  (Read 47703 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 11:43:46 »

Christian Wolmar in the latest Rail magazine devotes his article to the scrapping of Airtrack and the level crossing problem. It seems Philip Hammond doesn't like level crossings.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 15:04:55 »

Does any person like level crossings? We are fortunate in GW (Great Western) territory that Mr Brunel foresaw the problems of level crossings and there tend to be fewer than in many other parts of the country.
Wilf19

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 19:24:19 »

Having been messed about by the RailAir bus again tonight I find myself wondering if a westbound rail connection from Heathrow to Reading will ever happen. Now someone will tell me it's happening as part Crossrail but the maps I can find don't suggest that.

For my sins I get to use Heathrow fairly frequently and alternate between using the RailAir bus from Reading and going up to Paddington and using the Heathrow Express. I usually start using the bus again when I feel a bit guilty about the extra expense of going via Paddington. Using the bus usually lasts until something goes wrong and the connections mess up, and then I go back to  using the Heathrow train. In 12 years of taking the train to Heathrow the train has only let me down twice, I've lost count of the number of times the RailAir bus has meant being late or having to spend and unscheduled night in a Heathrow hotel.

My point is (at last!) surely the Thames Valley route catchment must have a good number of people who would make use of a train between Reading and Heathrow? Or is it all down to the usual vested interests?

Ironically tonight's mess up isn't so bad for me,  in the end as the 18:33 from Reading to Taunton is very late so I made my train.

cheers

Sorry if this has all been done before but I couldn't locate a thread on it.

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 20:07:05 »

Not that it would have much difference to your journey tonight Smiley
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 11:51:24 »

Piece in Slough Midweek Observer about a do in Reading with the MP (Member of Parliament) promoitng the link.

Under Heathrow Link vital for Economy. Alegedly Justine Greening has pledge her support. Network rail are doing a study.

Also piece in December Modern railways reviewing all proposals for Westlinks to Heathrow including teh Windsor Link scheme.

All on Page 5 of same issue of Observer peice on 48 new carriges for FGW (First Great Western).

Also Maidenhead advertiser.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 21:10:24 »

From the Reading Chronicle:

Eager wait for airport rail link study

Transport secretary Justine Greening has pledged her backing for an emerging multi million pound railway project directly linking Reading to Heathrow Airport.

Ms Greening revealed she is "awaiting with interest" the outcome of a proposed western rail link to the London airport which she anticipates will boost the region's transport network and economic fortunes.

Network Rail is just weeks away from unveiling results of a feasibility study for the ^180-^500m scheme which will slash journey times from Reading to the airport to just 28 minutes and to eight minutes from Slough.

Speaking last Thursday at a Westminster reception organised by Reading East MP (Member of Parliament) Rob Wilson, when the Midweek and Chronicle were the only media from the Reading area represented, Ms Greening told rail chiefs and Thames Valley-based businesses: "This is one of those projects where you instinctively see its rationale and benefits. You only have to go past Reading on the M4 to see how much business is there, but in terms of the railway prospects it is so near yet so far.

"This will not just benefit the railways it will benefit the rest of the country and its economy."

Network Rail's ^119,000 study explores several options with the most likely route featuring a new 6km (3.72 mile) railway line and tunnel linking platforms at Heathrow Terminal Five with the Great Western Mainline east of Langley Station.

Currently companies in this area spend up to ^10m annually on taxi fares to Heathrow because train travellers face either face a lengthy detour via London or catching Rail Air buses from Reading Station which take 40 minutes to complete the road journey.

Mr Wilson said the proposals could bring "enormous" economic benefits to Reading and added: "Today demonstrates the tremendous spirit for this project across the political divide and from business and industry in the area. It should give us great heart and it's a project we can go forward with."

First Great Western sponsored the reception, and company projects and planning director Matthew Golton said the scheme could help take the pressure off crowded trains travelling into London, adding: "It will be great for the communities we serve and is vital for the economy."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
DavidH

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 15:46:43 »

There's another alternative.  Reading - Paddington stopper to Hayes & Harlingdon and then the Heathrow Connect.  I did this recently from Twyford to Terminal 3 and it worked very well. Much cheaper too, about ^11 in middle of the day.
Wilf19

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 17:23:49 »

I hadn't thought of that route, it could be worth investigating. Although I usually use Terminal 5 and I don't think the connect service goes through to T5 so that would mean a change at Heathrow Central.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 18:25:03 »

There's another alternative.  Reading - Paddington stopper to Hayes & Harlingdon and then the Heathrow Connect.  I did this recently from Twyford to Terminal 3 and it worked very well. Much cheaper too, about ^11 in middle of the day.
This service from the West is not very well advertised by FGW (First Great Western), certainly from Maidenhead / Twyford it is a great way to get the Heathrow, the only pain in the ! if you have luggage is there are not lifts to help with the necessary UP to DN platform change and vice versa going home

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 21:33:56 »

The only problem with Heathrow connect from Hayes is the exorbitant fare!

Do you get a senior discount on it?

Another way is train to Slough and one of the many 7X to Central bus station  or Terminal 5 buses from across the way at the new very pleasant to wait in bus station.

I'm flying from 4 next year what's best way from Taplow thinking 75 bus  to Central on pass and free shuttle train. Cost ^0
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 14:03:02 »

Today's aviation policy written statement includes:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-press-20120712b

^500m towards a western rail link to Heathrow, which is in addition to
^1.4bn already being invested to improve surface access to airports,
including ^44m towards upgrading Gatwick Airport station and a new fleet of
thirty electric trains already improving services on the Stansted Express.
In addition the Government is pressing ahead with HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) which will
significantly improve access to airports such as Birmingham and
Manchester...

Editors note: The Western Rail Access to Heathrow project will be included
in the Government's forthcoming High Level Output Specification for the
railways (HLOS (High Level Output Specification)) announcement. The project is subject to a satisfactory
business case and the agreement of acceptable terms with the Heathrow
aviation industry.

Yet another project proposed by NR» (Network Rail - home page) in last September's shopping list.  Maybe we should see it as a good omen for Bristol Metro, which is in the same document?

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 15:05:00 »

Mark Hopwood comments....

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Media-centre/First-Great-Western-statement-on-western-rail-access-to-Heathrow
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 16:18:50 »

I wonder what service levels would be deemed appropriate for such a link, given the limited capacity on the GWML (Great Western Main Line)?  Personally, I can't see anything from too far afield running straight into Heathrow, as the market for Paddington is too strong that most paths will be taken up with trains to London.  Perhaps a half-hourly semi-fast service from Reading calling at Twyford, Maidenhead, and Slough, which could possibly originate at Oxford/Newbury/Swindon?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 16:25:49 »

Is it definitely off the GWML (Great Western Main Line), and not off the Waterloo line?
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 16:35:09 »

I remember 2 decades ago when Heathrow Express was being planned that many (including little me) wrote letters etc urging that a Western curve be built at Airport Junction. Typically both the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and MP (Member of Parliament)'s dismissed these calls....

Remember the tunnel collapse?

OTC

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: