27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 01:06:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Rail Access to Heathrow  (Read 48096 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2012, 22:33:09 »

You don't need all these. If you build Boris Island then Heathrow would close - according to the plan - and airtrack would be redundant.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2012, 00:33:52 »

You don't need all these. If you build Boris Island then Heathrow would close - according to the plan - and airtrack would be redundant.

I'm assuming Boris Island isn't going to get built. Wink

Of course, what we need to do is build Boris Island...
With that capacity you could close Heathrow...
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2012, 22:37:35 »

Gatwick already has two runways - look  at the chart. Admittedly, they are too close together to use simultaneously. Heathrow is in the worst possible place, to the west of a major city, with the predominant windflow from the west. Paris has major airports north (Le Bourget and Charles de Gaulle) and south (Orly) of the city, meaning that flights do not overfly the most populated areas. Boris Island makes perfect sense. Build it first, with high-speed rail into London, the use Heathrow for housing or industry, and you might even make a profit. It will never happen.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 19:55:20 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2012, 10:03:50 »

Having spent the night in Windsor recently, I was woken to the sound of jets coming in to land with a flight path directly over Windsor and the Castle.  Whilst they more normally come in to land from the west it did strike me as odd that the queen might have to put up with that racket every couple of minutes!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2012, 10:10:54 »

Having spent the night in Windsor recently, I was woken to the sound of jets coming in to land with a flight path directly over Windsor and the Castle.  Whilst they more normally come in to land from the west it did strike me as odd that the queen might have to put up with that racket every couple of minutes!

They say that an American once asked staff why they built Windor Castle in the flightpath. Roll Eyes
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2012, 15:32:20 »

With 3ft plus tick walls i don't think noise is too much of an issue inside the castle

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2012, 17:20:57 »

Gatwick Airport only has a single runway and that is a planning condition that was imposed when the "modern" airport was first built. This planning condition has several years to run before any new application could be submitted (I have not checked the dates). The parallel track is the TAXIWAY.

An aircraft did land on the taxiway once and the pilot got something of a surprise and no doubt followed by extensive "retraining" in ?Siberia.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2012, 17:48:53 »

It's definitely also usable as a runway though, it would be used if the main runway was undergoing maintenance.

Runway Length 26L/08R: 3316m x 46m
Runway Length 26R/08L: 2565m x 45m - this runway used only when 26L/08R is not available.
http://www.ukaccs.info/profiles.htm

The 'no 2nd runway' rule runs until August 2019.

Paul
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2012, 18:08:52 »

Good, so a second one can be added there affecting fewer people than at Heathrow!
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2012, 23:09:56 »

it did strike me as odd that the queen might have to put up with that racket every couple of minutes!

My understanding is that when the Queen is in residence aircraft are diverted away from Windsor.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2012, 23:33:54 »

it did strike me as odd that the queen might have to put up with that racket every couple of minutes!

My understanding is that when the Queen is in residence aircraft are diverted away from Windsor.

Really?

Does Brenda really have the power to divert the hundreds of flights in and out of Heathrow on a day to day basis? Does she pay for the Air Traffic Control diversions that would be necessary to ensure that there are no flights over Windsor Castle when she's in residence?

Does the Govt. make a telephone call to southern England ATC (Automatic Train Control) informing them that HMQ will be bedding down at Windsor Castle and asking kindly if they wouldn't mind diverting flights so that Brenda won't be disturbed?

I think not.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2012, 07:55:30 »

As i can see the flight path over Windsor I can assure you it makes no difference if she is residence or not. It depends on the wind nd what way they are landing.

It is when they are landing from the West when it is most noticeble as they start coming off the stacks over Maidenhead and as far out as Woodley and then form an orderley queue 3 miles apart. Not quite over the castle but along side it. I can often see three or more planes in line coming in to land.

Take off to the West is not a problem they either fly North over my house or turn South over Staines avoiding the Castle.

The Normal flight pattern with a Westerly wind or very light winds is in over London and out as I say over my house. Althiough that changes depending on if they are using the Burnham Beacon.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2012, 10:03:55 »

It's definitely also usable as a runway though, it would be used if the main runway was undergoing maintenance.

Runway Length 26L/08R: 3316m x 46m
Runway Length 26R/08L: 2565m x 45m - this runway used only when 26L/08R is not available.
http://www.ukaccs.info/profiles.htm

The 'no 2nd runway' rule runs until August 2019.

Paul

It is used when the main runway is undergoing maintenance.  There was a problem a few months ago where the planned maintenance meant that the secondary runway was being used and un-seasonal fog reduced capacity on the secondary runway (which lacks all the instruments required for landing in fog)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2012, 17:30:02 »

Out of interest, is there a website with maps of the flightpaths?

Apparently, they have to be very careful, as Heathrow landing planes fly over City airport!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2012, 11:18:58 »

Out of interest, is there a website with maps of the flightpaths?

Apparently, they have to be very careful, as Heathrow landing planes fly over City airport!

All the information is in the in the Aeronautical Information Service website. This chart shows, for example, how the aircraft leave the stacks at Biggin Hill or Ockenham to follow the approach path to line up to land on runways 09L or 09R. At the point on the chart marked I-AA D10 or I-BB D10, about 6 miles west of Windsor, the aircraft descend to 2500 feet, on a 3 degree glidepath. I reckon that puts them below 1500' as they pass a mile or so south of the Castle. Inbound flights are generally quieter than outgoing flights. For the latter, noise abatement procedures are in place, as described by eightf48455, although probably won't make much difference  to Her Majesty. The change  of runway in use during the day helps to spread the misery, and give some relief. Modern aircraft, with high bypass engines, are much quieter than their predecessors. Flights arrive and depart into the wind, which dictates the direction. The prevailing wind is from the west, although in fine weather it tends to be from the east. This, more than anything, shows why Heathrow is in the wrong place, as all flights arrive or depart over London. Paris has its major airports north and south of Paris, giving a lot less flying over heavily populated areas.

Being careful over City airport is a bit of a red herring. Pilots are careful everywhere as a rule. Heathrow is in Category A airspace, and you are not allowed in there without an air traffic controller directing your every move. City airport is in Category D airspace. That is controlled to a lesser extent, but you cannot enter the zone without clearance. There are standard instrument arrival and departure procedures for each airport, designed to keep the aircraft at a safe distance from each other. You need not be alarmed, someone has thought about this. If you flew directly down the runway at London City, with no control inputs or wind, you would pass over Heathrow and Filton.

During the current sports event in London, just about everywhere east of Oxford is being treated as one big control zone, with the threat of being joined by a Eurofighter or getting a missile up the jacksie if you don't do what you are told.[/THREADDRIFT]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 11:25:08 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: