Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
23:03 Marlow to Maidenhead
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 23:21:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Two forum gatherings in the coming weeks. 24th July and 21st August  (Read 31139 times)
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2011, 23:27:59 »

My plan is to pick up the 10:50 from Ealing Broadway to Maidenhead (Pad-Oxford service) arriving at Maidenhead at 11:31 - then a quick dash to meet up with the 11:35 service to Marlow. I shall be wearing a rather appropriate hat and t-shirt combination, so should be easily identifiable!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2011, 23:31:13 »

James I do hope you will be wearing more than just a hat and t-shirt.
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2011, 23:33:40 »

Ollie - yes of course! I'll be wearing a smile too!!  Grin

Oh - and I might wear some trousers! lol
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2011, 23:33:47 »

I will be there - joining the 10.29 at Swindon.  Was tempted to double back via Bath as I have a FOSW (Freedom of (the) South West Rover) Rover just to have another trip through Box Tunnel but that seems a waste of a box and it also means getting out the house earlier!!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2011, 23:35:41 »

No point wasting a box for Box!

Look for the grey flat cap in coach D, bobm!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2011, 23:43:35 »

Be the most famous flat cap on FGW (First Great Western) that will.  Hopefully Coach D better than Coach E on the one I had tonight.  Drunken racing fans from Newton Abbot going back to Taunton - one of whom was rather unwell underneath the seat in front of him.  Then at Bristol Temple Meads we picked up the nightclubbers who managed to work out how to turn the lights off - it seems you don't need a key - then the toilet ran out of water and wouldnt flush.

The only highlight was a rather attractive girl in a tutu.  I kid you not!  God alone knows how she planned to get home.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2011, 10:35:46 »

I'm definitely not going to be able to attend today.. sorry..  Sad .. Hope everyone has a good time and it doesn't rain on the walkers  Smiley
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2011, 16:46:46 »

Was more a coffee kiosk than a coffee shop outing today, never the less an enjoyable stroll along the river bank some good food a beer or three and good conversation with those that were able to make it.

I had a good day  Smiley

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2011, 18:08:08 »

Was more a coffee kiosk than a coffee shop outing today, never the less an enjoyable stroll along the river bank some good food a beer or three and good conversation with those that were able to make it.

I had a good day  Smiley

Yes, it was a bit of a "Pumpkin" affair, wasn't it?  Tongue

A good day was had indeed - even if I did have a head start on drinking (NON-alcoholic beverage may I add!) I look forward to the next one - hopefully a few more will be able to make it Smiley
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2011, 18:27:47 »

You can tell how far away people live by the order of the posts!

Yes it was a good day.  The rain cleared at the right moment.  Got some exercise.  Lively informative conversation - and not all about railways - and a thoroughly good day out. 

Next to post?........ bignosemac!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2011, 18:31:13 »

Next to post?........ bignosemac!
Nope..me..saying sorry.

I had explained to Justin previously that I was expecting to have to leave earlier - in the end I unfortunately couldn't come at all.

So apologies for missing it.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2011, 18:36:13 »

Oh dear I feel a bit guilty now for not going.. But at least I got all my work finished so I can enjoy my fortnight off :-)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2011, 20:59:23 »

bignosemac checking in - not long in the door. Would've been home sooner, but I bumped into the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) who were busy filming for Autumnwatch around the Kingsweston Estate (my backyard), so I hung around to see what's what. Met Chris Packham and had a chat about urban foxes - somehow the BBC have ended up with my address and contact details and may be calling on me next week for info about fox dens and badger setts that I know of to the rear of where I live.

Delightful day out; thanks to bobm, James Vertigan and Electric train. I'll post some musings on the day presently.....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2011, 21:02:42 »

Good to hear it went well ... sorry I missed the day.  Probably a good job I gave a hand on the TransWilts - very busy today  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2011, 21:49:37 »

its a shame that i have not been in the position to join you all on these trips, i have been on the forum for a  while now and while i know i quite frequently talk utter baloney to quote judge judy, i do enjoy reading and providing input where i can
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: