27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 03:47:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Saltford Station, 50 year talk: January 05, 2020
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign to re-open Saltford station (between Bristol and Bath)  (Read 27161 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 10:07:56 »

Public meeting at Saltford Hall tonight (25th Feb):

See BANES website for details.

Reading between the lines I get the impression from this BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news item that the local councillor is a bit lukewarm about the whole thing - or am I wrong?

If you have a view on this potential reopening, this questionnaire gives you an opportunity to express it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:29:11 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 12:37:49 »

To me, she comes across more as someone who is getting pressure from both those who want to see the station opened ASAP, and from those who want it quickly nipped in the bud due to potential disruption from those parking in the village as a result of the station being there.

Therefore she is performing the classic politicians trick of trying to appeal to both sides of the argument, but not being seen to publicly favour one over the other.

Personally, although i do think that parking will turn out to be the key issue on which this will turn, i don't think it's a case of whether enough passengers will use the station - I think if you build it at Saltford then they will come, and it's about how you handle that extra patronage at every stage of the journey. A combination of top notch station, train and infrastructure planning will clearly be required in this respect.

Also, i use the ultra-frequent bus services through Saltford on a regular basis, and they are either full or nearly full right through from early morning til late at night. Indeed, so successful are they that the operating period was recently extended so they run nearly round the clock.

Therefore, it's hard to see how they would have the capacity to provide a realistic alternative in terms of catering for future growth in the medium to long term.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 14:48:17 »

To me, she comes across more as someone who is getting pressure from both those who want to see the station opened ASAP, and from those who want it quickly nipped in the bud due to potential disruption from those parking in the village as a result of the station being there.

Therefore she is performing the classic politicians trick of trying to appeal to both sides of the argument, but not being seen to publicly favour one over the other.

You're almost certainly right.

Personally, although i do think that parking will turn out to be the key issue on which this will turn, i don't think it's a case of whether enough passengers will use the station - I think if you build it at Saltford then they will come, and it's about how you handle that extra patronage at every stage of the journey. A combination of top notch station, train and infrastructure planning will clearly be required in this respect.

I think it would very sad if the parking issue was allowed to, sorry, I can't avoid the word, derail this project. Assuming the old station site were adopted, the plans look to allow room for sufficient off-street parking.

Also, i use the ultra-frequent bus services through Saltford on a regular basis, and they are either full or nearly full right through from early morning til late at night. Indeed, so successful are they that the operating period was recently extended so they run nearly round the clock.

Therefore, it's hard to see how they would have the capacity to provide a realistic alternative in terms of catering for future growth in the medium to long term.

Surely we're not discussing an 'alternative' to the bus - that's reverse neo-beechingism. Bus and rail are not and never have been alternatives; on a good day they complement each other but more often than not they just appeal to different markets. I can think of a number of ways I would make use of a train service to Saltford, but (superb though I am sure the bus service is) it doesn't meet any of my requirements.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 14:54:53 »

Surely we're not discussing an 'alternative' to the bus - that's reverse neo-beechingism. Bus and rail are not and never have been alternatives; on a good day they complement each other but more often than not they just appeal to different markets. I can think of a number of ways I would make use of a train service to Saltford, but (superb though I am sure the bus service is) it doesn't meet any of my requirements.

I think you've got me the wrong way round, RS. To clarify, I was making the point that I don't think the bus services would have the capacity to provide a realistic alternative in terms of catering for future growth in the medium to long term, and my point was made in response to Tim's earlier post:

I'm not convinced by the business case for this.  There are of course at least 6 buses per hour from Saltford (X39/339, 337)  and I am not convinced that a new station would bring very many advantages over those (how about spending ^100,000 to lowering the bus fares instead).

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 15:14:11 »

I think you've got me the wrong way round, RS. To clarify, I was making the point that I don't think the bus services would have the capacity to provide a realistic alternative in terms of catering for future growth in the medium to long term, and my point was made in response to Tim's earlier post:

Indeed I have! Profound apologies for standing you on your head. Embarrassed

I'm not convinced by the business case for this.  There are of course at least 6 buses per hour from Saltford (X39/339, 337)  and I am not convinced that a new station would bring very many advantages over those (how about spending ^100,000 to lowering the bus fares instead).  Also - how many people will actually walk to the station?  If usage projections are based on people driving then a) you need a big car park, b) you need them to not stay in their car all the way to Bristol or Bath (or their Park and Ride car-parks) and c) people driving to the station will clog up the A4 anyway.

Elctrification may change things a bit (not least because AIUI (as I understand it) 2tph will run from BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) via Parkway without going though Saltford.

According to BANES, the vast majority of users in Saltford would walk (see this analysis).

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 15:43:04 »

...Chris Warren... ...who is leading the campaign to have the station re-opened, said the event had seen generally positive feedback.

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Hundreds-station-opening-meeting/story-20704304-detail/story.html#ixzz2v0cckxXP

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 14:38:25 »

From the Bath Chronicle:

Saltford people give thumbs up to new railway station

Almost 70 per cent of people in Saltford have said they want to see the village railway station reopened.

A survey of local people has revealed that 68.9 per cent of villagers want Saltford to have a station, with just 20.5 per cent saying they do not.

The results have been revealed by Bath and North East Somerset Council following a consultation event. The authority handed out questionnaires at an exhibition on plans to reopen Saltford Railway Station in February - 370 questionnaires were returned.

The majority of people, 232, said they would walk to the station, 40 said they would cycle and 43 per cent said they would drive. Of the drivers, 23 said they would look to park at a station car park but 20 said they would look to park in nearby streets.

Saltford resident and member of the Station Campaign, Rob Taylor, said: ^The majority desire a station and this survey demonstrates a potentially dramatic change from car to rail in the way that Saltford commuters get to work.^

According to Halcrow, the consultancy firm employed by the authority to look at the scheme, a new railway station in Saltford would cost ^4 million and could include two platforms, as well as a car park for up to 150 cars.

Project leaders have favoured the site of the original railway station on Bath Road, which closed in 1970. A second site, near to Chelwood Road, has been dismissed because of the cost

It is estimated a new station could see 647 journeys a day and generate ^770,000 a year but would cost ^60,000 a year in maintenance.

Leader of the Saltford Station Campaign, Chris Warren, said: ^The positive results of this B&NES survey will feed into the report by consultants. I firmly expect that the work of the consultants will lead to a decision to take the project onto the next stage of detailed study.^

Results from February^s consultation are being added to a report being written for B&NES Council. As part of the MetroWest deal the authority would have to provide financial support for the first three years if the station went ahead.

Leader of the Saltford Station Campaign, Chris Warren, said: ^The positive results of this B&NES survey will feed into the report by consultants. I firmly expect that the work of the consultants will lead to a decision to take the project onto the next stage of detailed study.^

Councillor Paul Crossley, leader of B&NES Council, has previously said that the authority is committed to the reopening if the project proves feasible.

Further information about Saltford Environment Group^s station campaign can be found at www.saltfordenvironmentgroup.org.uk/station.html

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 11:15:15 »

Whilst not knowing the exact circumstances regarding re-instating Saltford staion but there is major problem which applies to adding extra stops on a an already busy two track mainline. This would also apply to Corsham.

When they built the GWR (Great Western Railway)/GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) joint line from Paddington/Marylebone to Ashendon the bulk of the station were built with loops so that the stopping train and freight could be overtaken. By rough calculation from my GWR Atlas I reckon there were at least 11 bits of 4 track on the Paddington line plus two flying junctions. This line probably represents the Zentih of mainline construction. The GC which was roughly contempory did not go for running loops but most staions which were mostly island platforms had refuge sidngs for freight.

It also applies to other late comers such as the Barry where many of their stations between Cadaxton and Pontypridd and Barry to Bridgend were 4 tracks.

So there is a dilemma do we build new 4 track stations at great cost or do we accept the trade off of between more station stops and less fasts. One of the reasons Inter City were able to cut journey times (in addtion to faster trains) was that Beeching had shut most of the intermediate small stations so you have at least a 20 to 30 mile full speed runs between stops.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 11:43:51 »

Not exactly hot off the press, but I just spotted this on Saltford Environment Group's website

"Saltford station - bringing it back"

On 12th November Duncan Hounsell, representing the station campaign, addressed the B&NES Cabinet at their monthly meeting. In acknowledging the support for our station from the Council and several surveys having shown that a large majority of people in Saltford want the station re-opened, he said:

"The re-opening of Saltford station is not just good for Saltford's hard-pressed commuters but plays a part in reducing congestion along the A4 Corridor. Saltford station will make a contribution to the emerging Transport Strategies for Bath and for Keynsham. The campaign slogan has been "Saltford station - bring it back". This should now be, with this support from B&NES Council, "Saltford station - bringing it back!"

November 2014

As an aside, I find it slightly odd that the Saltford Environment Group claim copyright to their digital image of a 'Saltford' totem (see http://www.saltfordenvironmentgroup.org.uk/station.html#imagecopyright). Two questions: 1. Do they have the right to claim copyright? 2. Even if they do, wouldn't it help their campaign to make the image freely available?

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 13:47:42 »

Supposing someone photographs one of the other 5? How will you know which one is which.

Besides doesn't the copywrite for the original design belong to BR (British Rail(ways))?

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 14:03:13 »

A little googling suggests that the copyright for the BR (British Rail(ways)) Totem may now belong to the Heritage Railway Association.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 14:49:09 »

Don't know about copyright ... but we have a little program on our web site that lets you generate a good likeness of any totem ... http://www.wellho.net/demo/totem.php

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 11:18:36 »

From Bath Chronicle:

Rail-ly good news over station plan for Saltford

Plans have taken a step forward to reopen a railway station at Saltford.

The new station will cost Bath and North East Somerset Council in the region of ^6 million, could see the loss of green belt land and according to the authority will take a number of years to complete.

The council has been recommended to reopen the station at its former site, although it is considering an alternative option nearer Keynsham.

Cabinet members, who met last week, agreed to take a business plan to Network Rail, following a report by consultants CHM2Hill.

The report, which included a public consultation earlier this year, said the former station site "is probably in the optimum location" and will offer support to the council's core strategy.

Read more: http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Rail-ly-good-news-station-plan/story-25616274-detail/story.html#ixzz3Lm8sk7yf

infoman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2019, 07:29:52 »

Not much of an update, its only what was on Radio Bristol on Thursday morning.

Hoping I got the info correct if not please forgive me or MODS please delete or alter

Saltford Conservatives are requesting Bath and north east somerset councillors to support the campaign to open Saltford train station.

Bath and North East Somerset Council, Full Council Meeting – 10th October 2019

Conservative Motion: B&NES Transport Options between Bristol and Bath
To be moved by Cllr Brian Simmons

This Council notes:

1. That there is an aspiration for a new railway station at Saltford amongst a section of the community;

2. The previous administration’s work with the West of England Regional Mayor to ensure a new railway station at Saltford is now featured in a map of transport improvements in the Joint Local Transport Plan 4 (2019-2036);

3. That there is concern over Network Rail’s ability to create sufficient capacity for trains to ever stop at Saltford and the cost of the project;

This Council subsequently believes:

4. In view of the promises made by the Liberal Democrats during the May 2019 Local Election Campaign -  it is important that the feasibility of opening a railway station at Saltford is fully assessed in the interest of the community;

Therefore, this Council resolves to;

5. Ask the Cabinet to commission a detailed study, when resources allow, whichsets out their plan for providing Saltford with a railway station;

6. Refer this matter to the relevant PDS panel to consider and monitor progress of the above and to receive reports from the Cabinet Member for Transport providing an update on how the plan is progressing

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:21:51 by grahame » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2019, 08:20:41 »

From the Saltford Environment Group

To mark 50 years to the day of the closure of Saltford Station, Saltford Parish Council has organised a free illustrated talk by Cllrs Chris Warren and Duncan Hounsell.

Attendees will be able to find out about the history of Saltford's railways, SPC's actions to achieve the re-opening of Saltford Station, and the latest updates about making this a reality for the future.

All are welcome, there is no need to book. The talk starts at 2pm on Sunday 5th January 2020, in Saltford Hall.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: