17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 06:51:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New fares structure to/from London with Chiltern  (Read 14108 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 11:58:26 »

Virgin?.....they don't even serve Solihull & WRP!!! Does this mean you can travel via Birmingham to pick Virgin up from New Street, or does it mean you can travel via Leamington Spa & Coventry to pick Virgin up there? Or does it mean you can't actually travel on Virgin, even though they price it? Crazy whichever!
You can travel from Solihull via Birmingham to London Euston, as the Routeing Guide and fares check rule allows it. Not from Warwick Parkway though as Warwick Group to London Terminals has no mapped routes via Birmingham or Coventry. So yes. In the case of Warwick Parkway it is a little crazy that Virgin price the Any Permitted ticket even though you can't travel on any of their services. Probably a hangover from when Virgin had the CrossCountry franchise. It is by no means unique to find fares priced by an operator that doesn't actually provide services between two given stations.

You sure about stations south of WRP to Leamington inclusive are ^50?

The press release does indeed say, "These fares will apply from all Chiltern^s West Midlands stations from Birmingham Moor Street via Solihull through to Warwick Parkway." My mistake - taking info from another forum and not double checking.

But that does throw up an interesting scenario if they're not including Warwick in these fare changes. It's going to be considerably cheaper when using the Off Peak tickets to either start a journey at Warwick instead of Warwick Parkway, or buy split tickets Warwick Parkway-Warwick and Warwick-London Terminals.

So, maybe the press release is wrong. Or Chiltern's fares bods have screwed up....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:16:21 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 12:05:09 »

Warwick & Leamington have traditionally had the same fare....I suspect that will continue...

So, WRP is a Chiltern-owned station, not even part of the NR» (Network Rail - home page) infrastructure. So how on earth has Virgin acquired the fare-setting rights???
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 12:15:06 »

One assumes it's because the Any Permitted fares for the stations either side were set by Virgin prior to the opening of Warwick Parkway. It would be even more crazy if WRP alone on that stretch of line had Any Permitted fares set by a different TOC (Train Operating Company) to that who set the fares for the stations either side.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 12:17:58 »

Sothey set the Any Permitted for Warwick too? How much is that?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 12:35:05 »

Sothey? Did you mean Virgin? That's one heck of a typo if so!

Virgin do indeed set the Any Permitted fares from both Warwick and Leamington Spa. Both ^41.10 for the Off Peak Return

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 12:40:24 »

Sothey? Did you mean Virgin? That's one heck of a typo if so!

I think he meant 'So they'  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 13:00:43 »

I must say - i'm confused.

My congratulations to Chiltern for simplifying the fares situation for me  Wink
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 17:54:14 »

Ok, I'm confused too. I wonder what will happen to Kid - Brum fares... Shocked I expect we'll have to wait for further details, and they may have to have a re-think...

As far as the relief train is concerned, I'm talking about Chiltern's peak services running with fewer stops south of Banbury with a semi fast to Banbury running behind. So the Home Counties commuters are separated from the longer distance travellers - it made a difference - trust me!

Evening Peak restrictions? Of course they should be axed! Not only are they unfair and a pain in the neck, but they cause overcrowding on the first and last off peak trains. Why have EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) axed them on a friday? To reduce overcrowding! Let's hope VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) follow suit (althought to their credit, they've introduced new relief services on Thurs and Fri - which of course would not be needed if the load was spread across the evening! I bet the money they make from extra Anytime tickets more than pays...) In the morning, everyone's rushing to get to work for 9. In the evening, it's much more spread out anyway, and some people may leave even earlier, or stay later to do shopping, etc. If a commuter arrives on the concourse on time, they'll easily beat the family of 4 to a seat!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 19:06:07 »

Ok, I'm confused too. I wonder what will happen to Kid - Brum fares... Shocked I expect we'll have to wait for further details, and they may have to have a re-think...

Kid-Brum fares I think are set by Centro.....so won't be changing until January.

Re OP (Original Poster / topic starter) restrictions in the evening - EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) doersn't have a 'Reading' - not in number of commuters carried....do they even stop at Luton, for example in the peak? (Sorry, don't have time to check their TT right now). Neither are there the number of commuters at Luton as there are at Reading.

I refuse to believe that FGW (First Great Western) lifting evening restrictions would do anything otyher than increase the number of pax wanting to travel over those hours - and their stock can't cope as it is!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 19:22:20 »

I meant fares to London from Kid - Brum. The press release only covers Brum to Warwick.

FGW (First Great Western) could pick up only, or cut some Reading calls. Like Virgin and Milton Keynes. Chiltern cut stops and run reliefs, and they only have a two track railway to timetable, not a 4 track 125mph railway.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 20:16:23 »

These comparisons are a little pointless. There's no like for like. Milton Keynes is not a major interchange like Reading. Chiltern run a secondary route to Birmingham, one of three operators serving Birmingham from London. FGW (First Great Western) already do have pick-up only on some services at Reading. And the GWML (Great Western Main Line) is not a '4 track 125mph railway.' Only two lines are cleared for that speed.

Now. Back to the fares discussion. That's why I split the topic in the first place.  Roll Eyes

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 23:05:04 »

From Kidderminster; route High Wycombe, the fares have not changed. Although I assume the validy will be improved. Of course, this may change in January.

Super Off Peak return = ^25
Off Peak = ^38.50 (the route BHM one is ^45.80)
Anytime = ^91 (route BHM = ^157)

There are still 1st class Anytime fares via HW on the system. Roll Eyes

I am unsure which morning trains will allow Off Peak returns. LM (London Midland - recent franchise) booking agent doesn't allow it on either! But at the mo it is valid on both the 7.30 and the 8.09. Is this a mistake? Cry

Some positives, it looks as if even more stops have been axed from certain trains! Grin Grin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 23:24:47 by Btline » Logged
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2011, 00:37:14 »

I meant fares to London from Kid - Brum. The press release only covers Brum to Warwick.

FGW (First Great Western) could pick up only, or cut some Reading calls. Like Virgin and Milton Keynes. Chiltern cut stops and run reliefs, and they only have a two track railway to timetable, not a 4 track 125mph railway.

I'm sorry, but what is so drastically bad about the current FGW set up? Sure, there are some funny anomalies but it's not like there are trains leaving Paddington completely empty in the peak. The restrictions are there to control demand, and as far as i'm concerned it keeps the leisure traveller away from the peak commuter services stopping chronic and frankly dangerous overcrowding. Oh - and there is no room or stock to run 'relief' trains either...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 18:20:55 »

If I was living in and around Birmingham, I'd be seriously looking at London Midland as the natural alternative to Virgin. Frequency is increasing to 3 trains an hour between Birmingham and London from September, journey times are being cut by up to 20 mins and the fares are cheaper than Chiltern.

Not a direct comparison because restrictions are different, bu here are London Midland's walk-up fares from Birmingham - London:

Super Off Peak Return: ^19.00
Off Peak Return: ^27.00
Anytime Return: ^67.00

Oh, and you've got catering through until late afternoon on many of the trains, not just mornings. Plus my personal preference is a Desiro over a Turbo/Clubman.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 23:41:12 »

If I was living in and around Birmingham, I'd be seriously looking at London Midland as the natural alternative to Virgin. Frequency is increasing to 3 trains an hour between Birmingham and London from September, journey times are being cut by up to 20 mins and the fares are cheaper than Chiltern.

Not a direct comparison because restrictions are different, bu here are London Midland's walk-up fares from Birmingham - London:

Super Off Peak Return: ^19.00
Off Peak Return: ^27.00
Anytime Return: ^67.00

Oh, and you've got catering through until late afternoon on many of the trains, not just mornings. Plus my personal preference is a Desiro over a Turbo/Clubman.

Or a Mk3 carriage on Chiltern?  Grin

I must agree though, the London Midland offer is very competative.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: