Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 07:27:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UWE to expand bus service network  (Read 4844 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« on: July 30, 2011, 13:56:31 »

just found this:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/UWE-service-expands-locals/story-13039002-detail/story.html

Nice idea from UWE, it's a bit like UNO up in north London (Hopefully we wont get pink buses in Bristol).

I know the swansea university bus network is used regulary by local people as well as students. service 82A runs every 10 minutes during term time & term holidays but over the summer period and weekends is cut to every 20/30 minutes and hourly on sundays.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 15:07:28 »

I noticed a UWE branded bus all the way down in Weston-super-Mud the other day!

Southamptons 'uni-link' service isn't altered much out of term times, as plenty of local use it. The U1 is every 10 minutes throughout the year.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 15:59:35 »

A similar (but superior type of service - better frequency) has been operating in the Oxford area for 5 or 6 years. At first it was operated by Stagecoach but the contract was subsequently moved to Oxford Bus (Go-Ahead Group). Whilst it is a public bus service with several routes, the service is known as "BrookesBus" and operates between various Oxford Brookes University locations in and around Oxford and when it was first introduced all Brookes students had to pay for a season ticket as an addition to their fees. The idea was to discourage students from bringing cars into the notoriously congested Oxford City.

Incidentally Oxford is the most heavily bussed town of its size with a very high proportion of bus users brought about by car parking pricing persuasion of charging up to ^30 a day to park a car in central Oxford. There are many complaints from non-bus users about the number of the buses on the roads of Oxford, many on competing Stagecoach/Go-ahead services. Until recently, buses could only compete (under the Transport Act 85) but only in the last week (under new regulations) competing bus services have been allowed to co-operate allowing a return ticket issued by one company to be used on the other company's buses. It makes great sense because as a result the number of buses have been reduced but the frequency of service increased up to something like every 7 minutes around the city! However some complaints are now coming in that some buses are now standing room only as they near the city centre! Success breeds success and its own problems!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 19:18:54 »

I noticed a UWE branded bus all the way down in Weston-super-Mud the other day!

They're cropping up all over the Wessex Connect area at the moment. I've seen them on Park-n-Ride and the 517/518 Shirehampton-Emerson's Green. As it is summer the U-Link fleet is being less intensively used. I guess its an opportunity to get the other buses in the fleet in for maintenance, heavy cleaning etc.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 21:35:50 »

Until recently, buses could only compete (under the Transport Act 85) but only in the last week (under new regulations) competing bus services have been allowed to co-operate allowing a return ticket issued by one company to be used on the other company's buses.

I'm not sure that the Transport Act you mention prohibited such co-operation. For instance, there have been numerous "joint service" examples of return tickets issued by one company being valid on another company's buses over the years since in my part of the world.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 21:51:36 »

Until recently, buses could only compete (under the Transport Act 85) but only in the last week (under new regulations) competing bus services have been allowed to co-operate allowing a return ticket issued by one company to be used on the other company's buses.

I'm not sure that the Transport Act you mention prohibited such co-operation. For instance, there have been numerous "joint service" examples of return tickets issued by one company being valid on another company's buses over the years since in my part of the world.

I found that quote very interesting too, CLPG. Whilst it's true that there are the cooperative elements mentioned by Lee, there are all too many cases where I've had folks (including the owner / MD of a bus company) tell me that he can't work with another company for the common good of the passengers because of the various rules governing buses. 

I suspect there are elements of truth in limitations that have been placed, and also that the laws / rules / limitations are (or have been) used as a very conveneint excuse for taking an approach which is competitive between operators to the detriment of the good of the passengers (and then ultimately to the number of passengers and the income of all operators on a route).

Where do I find more about the amended regulations, what's changed, and what the changes mean?  Could they also have implications in syncronysing trains to buses too?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 22:11:57 »

I can see that you could read the Competition Act as outlawing any discussion on fares between companies.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: