Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:56:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disruption in Cornwall. 9th August 2011  (Read 10926 times)
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 13:54:48 »

The "jumper" was put before Bodmin mags the next morning and sentenced there and then.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 17:47:10 »

I'm trying to work out the maths of the newspaper reports.   

They talk of 6000 FGW (First Great Western) customers and 4000 other train operator customers being inconvenienced and I'm some what surprised at the proportions.  Are there really 4 XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) passengers for every 6 FGW passengers deep in Cornwall?

The report states that the train operators face losses of 83,000 pounds.  My understanding is that under the current "cap and collar" arrangement, around 75% of losses are met by the government, so does that mean that the real income that was lost (in revenue that failed to be taken) was actually around 332,000 pounds, with the taxpayer picking up a tab of about a quarter of a million?

Finally, not all the people who would have travelled on the trains would have been lost as revenue. Some people, for sure, will have switched to the road or not travelled at all, but many other would simply have travelled anyway once the line was re-opened.  Presumably the 83,000 pounds quoted as a "loss" took this into account - what's the sort of income figure, then, if that's not taken into account?  i.e. what proportion would have been lost?

I'm looking to learn a little more about how some of these financial systems work, to help in working out and understanding out some of the TransWilts figures.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 17:50:20 »

i shouldnt imagine the individual has appeared in court and given a discharge already. you must of read about a different case.
a defendent has to be issued with minimum 6 weeks notice of a court appearance to prepare your legal defence, and such.

are you sure about that.  Plenty of cases already been concluded in London for people involved in the riots.

yes, sorry as pointed out above the 6 week rule only appears to apply for crown court, i was under the impression it applied to all court hearings. My understanding is you can have a bail hearing, but the formal hearing has to be 6 weeks notice

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 17:57:35 »

I'm looking to learn a little more about how some of these financial systems work, to help in working out and understanding out some of the TransWilts figures.

Good luck with that Grahame.  I am not sure that these contrived money-go-round systems actually do work.  For example, it has been said before that compensation for engineering work, with TOCs (Train Operating Company) will untimately benefit from means that in some cases TOCs do better from having NR» (Network Rail - home page) close the line and pay compensation than they do actually having to run the trains and sell tickets. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 20:28:33 »

yes, sorry as pointed out above the 6 week rule only appears to apply for crown court, i was under the impression it applied to all court hearings. My understanding is you can have a bail hearing, but the formal hearing has to be 6 weeks notice

The guy pleaded guilty, so no need for six weeks for a defence to be prepared. Magistrates can chose a fine or discharge sentence immediately. After a guilty plead they can defer sentencing for a number of reasons. Examples being to request a pre-sentence report from the Probation Service or committal to Crown Court if they feel they have insufficient sentencing powers.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 13:46:09 »

I'm trying to work out the maths of the newspaper reports.   

They talk of 6000 FGW (First Great Western) customers and 4000 other train operator customers being inconvenienced and I'm some what surprised at the proportions.  Are there really 4 XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) passengers for every 6 FGW passengers deep in Cornwall?

The report states that the train operators face losses of 83,000 pounds.  My understanding is that under the current "cap and collar" arrangement, around 75% of losses are met by the government, so does that mean that the real income that was lost (in revenue that failed to be taken) was actually around 332,000 pounds, with the taxpayer picking up a tab of about a quarter of a million?

Finally, not all the people who would have travelled on the trains would have been lost as revenue. Some people, for sure, will have switched to the road or not travelled at all, but many other would simply have travelled anyway once the line was re-opened.  Presumably the 83,000 pounds quoted as a "loss" took this into account - what's the sort of income figure, then, if that's not taken into account?  i.e. what proportion would have been lost?

It needs to be remembered that whilst this Idiot held up Trains in Cornwall the fact is Trains that were held up effect everyone using that service.
If the 08:28 Penzance to Glasgow is your service home from work from Edinburgh Waverley than this mans actions effected passengers in Scotland.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 13:56:02 by smokey » Logged
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 13:59:54 »

^83 000 loss for the Train operators, as little as that?

What would it have cost Network Rail who will being paying out ^160 per minute per train effected?

I heard from a Person who attended that Court Case that NR» (Network Rail - home page) may have to fork out more like ^850 000
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 22:01:41 »

The high proportion of XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) pax affected was due to the timing of the incident, had it happened about an hour or so later there would have been no XC pax effected.

The costs are about right, the knock on effects are huge, stock and traincrew displacement, onward connections up country being effected etc etc.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 01:44:49 »

I suspect the quoted cost was based on the notional cost of delay minutes - there would not have been time for any other calculations! NR» (Network Rail - home page) would have applied its standard rates for delay minutes and cancellations to the numbers recorded by Trust to arrive at the total cost. Delay minutes vary from something like ^5 per minute on a branch line service to ^100 per minute on a class 1 between Padd and Reading. Its not just the services directly affected, but also any knock on effects to other services - these are often significantly larger than the directly affected services. I don't know the cost attributed to cancelled/caped services. NR is responsible for any "external" delays, such as trespass, and compensates the TOCs (Train Operating Company) accordingly.

As an example of knock on costs (and one with which I was at one time very well aware of), at Oxford, 1W47, the 1647 off Oxford to the Cotswolds was allowed two minutes at Oxford - not a lot for an HST (High Speed Train) that was well loaded on arrival and was a popular service from Oxford. Bikes in the TGS were (and probably still are) a regular cause of delays. If Trust recorded three minutes or less on the platform, then no delay was attributable to the station. Four or more minutes was an attributed delay for which the Station Manager was responsible. Because of the intense use of the single line, other services would then be delayed, including an up Padd service that would then delay other services between Reading and Padd. A two minute delay to the down Cotswold service could easily grow into 60ish minutes of knock on delays, at an average cost of ^80 per minute!

Not surprisingly, the result was a great deal of management attention - it was not unusual to see the Station Manager assisting on the platform!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 09:51:19 »

How are delay minutes attributed if incurred dealing with wheelchair passengers.  Even though staff are generally very good at having the ramp ready in the right place it takes time to get a disabled passenger onto a train and settled into the correct space.  It's not a job you want to rush either.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 10:08:32 »

Recorded internally but not included in final figures, I believe.

Paul
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 12:52:23 »

On FGW (First Great Western), if its a staffed station, the delay is attributed to the station manager. If its an unstaffed station, the delay will go to the guard's manager.
Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 09:27:44 »

How are delay minutes attributed if incurred dealing with wheelchair passengers.  Even though staff are generally very good at having the ramp ready in the right place it takes time to get a disabled passenger onto a train and settled into the correct space.  It's not a job you want to rush either.

The above is reasonable comment I feel.  However,if an unreserved, wheelchair-bound passenger turns up at a station to catch an HST (High Speed Train) and the disabled places are already booked, there can be problems getting the passenger comfortably installed.  Of course crew are trained to recognise and assist with a wide range of disabled customer issues and  do their utmost to assist, but extra minutes do get lost in such cases, particularly at an unstaffed station and/or ones with a short platform.  Standing instruction for TMs(resolve) is to notify the delay attribution service ASAP if this occurs.  As FGW (First Great Western) are thus complying with the various codes of practice ref disabled passengers and always attempt to go above and beyond the provisions of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, I wouldn't imagine that attributing minutes lost in this way is too onerous a task.

FGW
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: