Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:43:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Closure of some Welsh booking offices (allegedly proposed)  (Read 4512 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« on: September 05, 2011, 14:43:21 »

I couldnt really decide which thread to post this on :

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/09/05/more-than-welsh-railway-ticket-offices-could-close-under-buried-government-plans-91466-29365442/#sitelife-commentsWidget-bottom

surprisinly Severn Tunnel Junction is on the list and i didnt know fishguard harbour had a booking office
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 22:29:33 »

"Calm down, dear!"  Wink Roll Eyes Shocked

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14785356

Arriva Trains Wales has 'no ticket office closure plan'

Arriva Trains Wales says it has no plans to close any of its ticket offices after a union reveals details of a review which recommends closing hundreds in Wales and England.

The UK (United Kingdom) government-commissioned review recommends closing more than a third of Wales' ticket offices, says a union.

Those on the list include Holyhead, Llandrindod Wells, Flint, Llanelli and Severn Tunnel Junction.

But Arriva Trains Wales said it had no closure plans.

The Transport Salaried Staffs Association union said the "hit list" appeared in a report drawn up by Sir Roy McNulty about how to achieve savings in the rail industry.

In all, 675 stations across England and Wales could lose their ticket offices with 1,000 job losses, according to the union.

Of the 240 stations across Wales, around 55 are staffed with ticket offices but the report is said to propose closing more than 20.

The UK government is expected to respond fully next month to the report, which maintained that the railway industry could make savings of ^1bn a year.

It recommends the use of machines to replace ticket offices currently provided and staffed by employees of rail operating companies.

Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about)) officials said they only discovered the recommendation when they read the full report, which runs to hundreds of pages.

Passenger Focus, the independent rail consumer watchdog, said ticket machines were "second rate" compared to a staffed ticket office.

"Our research shows that many passengers prefer to use the ticket office to ensure that they buy the cheapest, valid fare," said David Sidebottom, a director from Passenger Focus. Lots of passengers also find the machines physically difficult to operate, with some really struggling to use them at all."

He added: "When we asked what would make passengers feel safer when travelling on the railway, the message from them was clear - increase the presence of visible staff. The closure of ticket offices will make passengers feel less safe and put them off from travelling by train."

But Train operator Arriva Trains Wales, which runs all the ticket offices in Wales, said it had "no current plans at this time to close any ticket office or significantly change any ticket office hours at any of our stations across the network".

TSSA leader Gerry Doherty is calling on UK Transport Secretary Philip Hammond to reject the cutbacks, warning that passengers will feel less safe travelling, and will find it more difficult to buy tickets.

The Department of Transport said: "We are currently considering the findings of Sir Roy McNulty's independent report and any of his proposed changes to rail fares or ticketing will be examined as part of a government review."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:27:36 »

I don't think any TOC (Train Operating Company) has a plan - this is purely a recommendation in tge McNulty report....
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 15:46:40 »

Why was this mentioned in the small print ?   Hoping nobody would notice !!!
ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))  or any other TOC may not have any plans to close any booking offives at the present time, but anything could happen in the future if the Government push these findings through.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:15:32 »

Anything could happen period. My point exactly - why concentrate on booking offices when there's other big stuff in that report? Wuestion aimed at the press really!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:20:53 »

Do Fishguard Harbour and Severn Tunnel Junction even have ticket offices? I don't think so, as far as I know there are no buildings other than bus shelters at S.T. Junc. and I don't think there's any non-Stena staff at FGH. Do Stena staff sell rail tickets there?

Also, on my trip to Llandrindod Wells and Newtown (Powys) the 'staff' appeared to be from a community rail partnership, not ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))).

What's the point of the National Stations Improvment Programme, set up to improve passenger satisfaction with stations, if cuts reduce passenger satisfaction at other stations?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:32:45 »

Why was this mentioned in the small print ? 

Not in 'small print', but in body of report. This story has come from the TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) Union, putting out a release to try & Get us customers to helop them protect their members jobs, period. Snidey.

AFAIK (as far as I know), there are no TOC (Train Operating Company) Or NR» (Network Rail - home page) staff at Fishguard Harbour. It is the only privately-owned station on UK (United Kingdom) rail network, being owned and run by the ferry company.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 22:34:41 »

Purely in the interests of encouraging balanced debate on this forum, I've now moved this topic here (from the Wider Picture) - and modified the heading, in view of the rebuttal from Arriva Trains Wales.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 23:04:36 »

Do Fishguard Harbour and Severn Tunnel Junction even have ticket offices? I don't think so, as far as I know there are no buildings other than bus shelters at S.T. Junc. and I don't think there's any non-Stena staff at FGH. Do Stena staff sell rail tickets there?

Also, on my trip to Llandrindod Wells and Newtown (Powys) the 'staff' appeared to be from a community rail partnership, not ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))).

What's the point of the National Stations Improvment Programme, set up to improve passenger satisfaction with stations, if cuts reduce passenger satisfaction at other stations?

Severn Tunnel Junction does have a booking office which i think is only open til something like 12pm and is very well used. As for fishguard i dont know and if there was i think stena line would operate as it would most likely be a travel office or something for he ferry.

Anyway providing i get paid this week i am hoping to be travelling on the 07:10 train from Pyle to Fishguard and i may even get myself on the tv
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: