I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:34:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Mainline: Nice & Fast!  (Read 108440 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2013, 01:29:31 »

Many of the trains are now packed from Warwick Parkway and there is no room to squeeze more on!

Is that services like the 07:17, 07:36, 08:18 and 09:21 which are probably the ones you travel on, or does it extend to services such as the 06:59, 08:00 and 09:02?   How about services later in the day such as the 12:15, the 13:40, the 19:46 and the 20:43.   I suspect that "Full at Warwick Parkway" applies to the first group - which run express from around Banbury to Marylebone, and doesn't apply to the second group which stop at Bicester and arrive into Marylebone just a minute ahead of the first group.  As for the third group ... are they really that full?   As an educated guess, I would be surprised if more that 15% of services southbound from Warvick Parkway with destination Marylebone are "packed and there is no room to squeeze more on", and those are likely to be the ones that don't stop further south anyway.  Sources / counts / specific data please  Cheesy

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 04, 2013, 18:46:41 »

Plenty of services are packed from Warwick Parkway (obviously not at off peak times). By packed, I mean Chiltern packed, with everyone seated but all seats taken.

Just look at the massive passenger increases at Solihull and Warwick Parkway and the fact that desperate commuters now drive all the way from Shropshire and Worcestershire, enduring the congested A46 everyday.

With few spare paths, limited platforms and platform lengths at Marylebone, I cannot see how they'll cope. Even if you extend the services which currently terminate at High Wycombe or Bicester to Oxford, these trains are already packed and many must be at full length.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 04, 2013, 21:19:30 »

Just look at the massive passenger increases at Solihull and Warwick Parkway and the fact that desperate commuters now drive all the way from Shropshire and Worcestershire, enduring the congested A46 everyday

As it's "fact" what is your source?

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 04, 2013, 21:28:43 »

With few spare paths, limited platforms and platform lengths at Marylebone, I cannot see how they'll cope.

I bet they will. The modelling for what goes where and when will have been done before work commenced.

Now, please!
James

Be happy and helpful to all people you meet.

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 04, 2013, 23:28:43 »

So Chiltern are the best rail company in the UK (United Kingdom)...
If so is commuting a dream from Beaconsfield to London Marylebone compared with Maidenhead or Twyford into Paddington?
After reading local newpapers it seems it not all that great after all.
Less seats, Less fast trains, sounds similar to the thames valley oh and not to mention air con problems on chilterns trains also similar to fgw problems.
Forget nice, fast, and comfortable and rather thing, slow, annoying and full to bursting, or am i wrong?
At the end of the day theres NO perfect rail operator, man the railways are seriously messed up, oh well lets try the road. Opps just hit a traffic jam.. Now what? Long live travelling in first class life style cause its sure not to last, oh dear what will people say then?

Be smart and help one another, if the other is in need, just common curtisy Wink
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2013, 15:28:04 »

Chiltern still supply a far better service than FGW (First Great Western) - as evidenced by tweeters saying so to Chiltern every so often.

The Oxford services will be extensions/diversions of current services - they will need no extra paths.

They will need further stock - I reckon 5 Clubman units to run a 30 minute service. The Silver sets were introduced originally for that reason - to release Clubmans, for refresh into silver Clubmans and then deploy to Oxford. BUT the increase in pax means the Clubmans are now in use on Mainline duty and they're now looking at sourcing further Mk3 sets. To that end, they've placed a contract for new locos (being built in Spain) - they have plenty of Mk3s for conversion in store at Kineton. I reckon 3 more silver Mk3 sets are required by 2016.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 06, 2013, 20:20:16 »

At the end of the day theres NO perfect rail operator, man the railways are seriously messed up, oh well lets try the road. Opps just hit a traffic jam.. Now what? Long live travelling in first class life style cause its sure not to last, oh dear what will people say then?

Of course there is no perfect operator, there are not enough trains an not enough track capacity, particularly as you get closer to London. That leads operators into difficult decisions balancing slower stopping services and faster long distance on the same tracks.  Ideally we would separate them with an extra set of tracks for say the fast trains.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 07, 2013, 11:18:39 »

I reckon 3 more silver Mk3 sets are required by 2016.

I reckon you're about right there.  Those 8 LOROL (London Overground Railway Operations Ltd) Class 172s might come in handy later in the decade when Gospel Oak to Barking electrification releases them - and if London Midland don't snap them up.

To that end, they've placed a contract for new locos (being built in Spain)

Have they actually placed a contract for their own locomotives?  I know they were looking at leasing new locomotives, and that the Class 68s being built in Spain for DRS (Direct Rail Services Ltd) were a distinct possibility?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #248 on: August 07, 2013, 11:39:06 »

The contract is placed for construction, I have it on very good authority. Whether direct for purchase, or via third-party for lease, that I don't know.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #249 on: August 31, 2013, 23:56:02 »

From the Witney Gazette:

Chiltern stays out in front as Oxfordshire's most punctual rail operator

A Chiltern Railways Clubman train

Chiltern Railways remains one of Britain^s most punctual train operators over the past year.

In the 12 months to August 17, 95.4 per cent of its trains, which link Bicester and Banbury with London Marylebone and Birmingham, were on time, against a national average of 90.8 per cent.

The figure is based on trains arriving within five minutes of their scheduled time for commuter services or 10 minutes for long-distance services.

Only London commuter operators c2c and London Overground had better on-time performance figures, of 97.3 and 96.7 per cent respectively. Merseyrail shared third place with Chiltern.

In the same period, First Great Western, which which links Oxford and Didcot with London Paddington, recorded 89 per cent.

CrossCountry, which links Oxford and Banbury with the South coast and the North of England recorded 87.4 per cent.

From July 21 to August 20, Chiltern was the third most punctual operator, with a figure of 93.9 per cent, the same as in the same period last year. CrossCountry and First Great Western achieved 88.9 and 88.6 respectively, compared with 88.1 and 87.4 a year ago.

Chiltern^s operations and safety director Andrew Munden said: ^Ensuring passengers have a punctual service is incredibly important and these statistics reinforce the dedication of our staff to provide a first class experience.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2013, 23:50:57 »

I travelled through Chiltern land in the middle of the day today. Normally I travel in peak hours or at weekends.

I was flabbegasted at how all their car parks were full to bursting point. Can the line take much more of a strain? At least a brand new mega car park opens in Banbury soon!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 14, 2013, 16:08:10 »

Can the line take much more of a strain?

I most interesting point BT, in view of a comment made today on Radio 4's Any Answers phone in.  An opponent of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) was quoting the Chiltern Line as an example of where there is plenty of spare capacity and need for line improvement.  As it was said, I told him (yes, sadly, I sometimes speak back to the radio) that he was several years out of date.  Your point proves to me that I was right.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2013, 20:06:02 »

Chiltern are only full in the peak, and even then that's only running a maximum length of 7car trains. Extension to full 12car length ought to be possible at most stations, but would eat into the platform capacity at MYB (London (Marylebone)). There is a little mount that Chiltern could still do, by lengthening platforms & lengthening trains (after obtaining an operators licence for 12car [7 at the moment] trains & increasing depot space to cater for them, and then obtaining more stock....

So hurdles, but it could be done. Wouldn't last a decade though, before it would be full to capacity again.

But BTLine, that "mega car park" is purely replacing 'temporary space' elsewhere. The actual increase in spaces is.......20.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2013, 20:33:15 »

Surely a new platform is possible at Marylebone by shaving a bit off Platform 1, shoving the Platform 1 track and the siding across a bit and slapping a new platform down?

Once Oxford is open, off peak services are likely to be rammed. I've been on plenty of packed off peak services.

Only 20 spaces, oh lord. Perhaps Banbury station should be moved to the fields to the South near the M40, where 4 through platforms could be built plus several car parks.

Or upgrade the Metropolitan line and extend to Aylesbury, removing those pesky via Amersham services which are such a waste of space! :p
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #254 on: February 26, 2017, 08:17:12 »

Errr....Oxford is *already* open! Keep up at the back? :-)

You've not been to Marylebone then? The stanling line behind platform 1 is used a lot during the off-peak day time. Regularly see three trains in there nose to tail. Shaving 'a bit' of platform 1 would be nowhere mear enough to get another platform in by the wall...don't you think others would have thought of that already?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18
  Print  

Jump to: