Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 15:47:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[229] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[104] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[94] Okehampton
[51] Our first Interrail tour
[36] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[33] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap fares from bath to St Austell  (Read 6186 times)
Tim

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2011, 17:17:43 »

I am planning to take the wife and kids on a short trip to Devon and Cornwall on the last week of half term.  It is an extra holiday so although it doesn;t have to be ultra cheap, it would be nice to not have to spend too much on it. 

Both kids are under 5 so travel free, but neither me nor Mrs Tim qualify for any discounts (except perhaps a family Railcard - We will all be travelling together so I can buy  4 years and 11 month year old son a child fare if that works out cheaper for the adults)

I managed to get a family room in the St Austell travelodge for ^29 so the plan is to travel from Bath Friday 28 Oct (am, but I am happy to wait until 9 or 9:30 or whenever the off-peak starts) all the way to St Austell for afternoon on the beach.  Perhaps take the kids to the Eden project on Saturday and then come back Sunday perhaps breaking the journey at Starcross or Dawlish.

I'd prefer to aviod Voyagers and busy trains if possible (although a short hop on a voyager would be UK (United Kingdom)).  I am happy to pre-book the outbound to St Austell, but would prefer to keep the Sunday return trip flexible.  I had wondered if a ranger or rover might be useful.  We will probably use the bus from St Austell to Eden and perhaps Charlestown or Carlyon Bay and I note that some Rovers and rangers cover bus fares as well.  The only rover that would cover the whole trip is the Freedom of the SouthWest rover but that is ^70 adult.  The Devon Ranger looks cheap at ^8.50 and would get us from Plymouth to Tiverton and would allow us some flexibility round about Dawlish/Starcross.   

I'm happy to have a play myself with splitting fares, but any suggestions of where might be a good place to do it would be greatfully received.  Also, what is the with using a combination of a Rover and a normal ticket.  Does the train have to stop the the station where you change from one ticket to another? 

Thanks
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 18:22:03 »

Anything which involves paying a token amount for the Under 5s might be worth it because you will then get four seat reservations, which with any luck will be round a table on an HST (High Speed Train) if you book early enough.  Reduces the stress levels if you are not spread out around the coach.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 19:09:58 »

For flexibility the Off Peak Return for 2 adults and 1 child from Bath Spa to St Austell is probably your best bet. This is priced at ^89.10 with a Family & Friends Railcard. The undiscounted price for Off Peak Returns for 2 adults would be ^118.00. With the railcard you save ^28.90. A Family & Friends Railcard costs ^28.00, so this one trip alone sees the railcard pay for itself. You will only get 3 seat reservations if you book this Off Peak Return in advance. One more seat for the other child and the price rises to ^100.30 for 2 adults 2 children with the railcard.

With the 2 adults and 1 child Off Peak Returns you can catch the 0857 from Bath Spa direct to St Austell, this is an FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) arriving 1216.

On your return on Sunday, if you want to avoid CrossCountry Voyagers, you can travel via Westbury. Example journey being the 1605 FGW HST from St Austell arriving Westbury 1913. Then the 1937 from Westbury to Bath Spa, arriving 2007. There are earlier and later options via Westbury.

For less flexibility but greater savings with the railcard you can buy Advance Purchase tickets in both directions. On the 0857 Fri Oct 28th from Bath the price with railcard is currently ^34.00 for 2 adults 2 children. On the 1535 Sun 30th Oct (via Westbury arrive Bath 1947) the price is ^28.90. That's a total of ^62.90 with seats for all. Other options at different times and prices are available.

If you want booking engines to avoid offering up journeys involving CrossCountry then use a WebTIS based booking engine (redspottedhanky.com is my recommendation) and tick the box 'First Great Western Trains Only' under the 'Select a Route' option on the journey selection page.

Note: Advance Purchase prices correct as at 1901 22nd Sept 2011.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 20:27:43 »

Sorry to bring it up, but if do you want the cheapest option, ^53.90 return for 2 adults & kids go free Bath - St Austell by National Express coaches (route 404) is probably going to take some beating....

Mind you, I'd personally take the hit and always go by train even without two young children in tow. Just thought I'd mention it though.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:49:03 »

Thanks everyone,  This is really useful.  It hadn;t dawned on me the advantage of buying one or two child fares would be extra seats.  On a busy train (it is half term holiday) that is prefereable to having them sitting on our knees for over 3 hours.

Is it legal and proper to buy a ticket online with a friends and family railcard today, and then only buy the railcard itself next week when I get a change to go to the station?

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 09:56:28 »

I don't know if it is legal to buy the tickets in advance of the railcard but it is certainly possible.  In practice the ticket is only going to be checked once you make the journey - so if you have the railcard at that point I cannot see a problem.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 10:53:26 »

Thanks everyone.  Tickets Booked.  I've saved myself 90p, gained an extra seat and gained a railcard (which will be useful soon when son starts needing to buy tickets) so much appreciated.
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 11:26:19 »

Also, what is the with using a combination of a Rover and a normal ticket.  Does the train have to stop the the station where you change from one ticket to another? 

Nope, the train doesn't need to stop with a normal ticket plus a Rover as the Rover is considered a "leisure travel pass" as per NRCOC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) 19 quoted below.

However, with the one day Ranger tickets (ie the Devon ranger) it's less clear. The Devon Ranger could be considered a Season ticket as it allows multiple journeys to be taken on the same route using the same ticket.

With the Ride Cornwall ticket things are more clear cut as it's a ticket scheme run by Cornwall Council and there is specificity excluded from the definition of a season ticket.

Thus, you could go for a off-peak return between Bath and Tiverton Parkway and then a 3-in-7 Freedom of Devon and Cornwall from Tiverton to St. Austall and travel on the 08:57 direct service from Bath to St. Austall which doesn't call at Tiverton. The cost of this would be around ^115ish (no Family Railcard discounts on Rovers so 2 adult tickets @ ^40 each plus ^35ish for an off-peak return BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains)-TVP 2A 1C) but you would have the flexibility on the Sunday, plus unlimited travel in Devon and Cornwall across all three days.

Cheers,
TLM

19. Using a combination of tickets

You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire
journey and one of the following applies:

(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
  (b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one
ticket to another; or
  (c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include
Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport
executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

You must comply with any restriction shown on the tickets relating to travel in the trains of
a particular Train Company or Train Companies (see Condition 10).

If you do not comply with this Condition, you will be treated as having joined the train
without a ticket and the relevant parts of Condition 2 or 4 will apply, either to the entire
journey, or from the last station where the train stopped at which at least one of the
tickets was valid.

For the purposes of this Condition, a ^leisure travel pass^ means any multi-journey ticket
(excluding Season Tickets) valid for:

(i) at least 7 consecutive days; or
  (ii) at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days

and includes rover tickets, travel passes, flexipass tickets and Britrail passes.

Edit: I see just posted while I was writing my reply! I'll leave it on here for anyone else who's thinking of doing something similar in future.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: