Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
17:29 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 15:35:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[211] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[66] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Who needs a travel agent these days?
[36] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[28] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[26] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Person hit by Train - Longrock Area - 3 October 2011  (Read 22664 times)
marky7890

View Profile Email
« on: October 03, 2011, 17:37:27 »

It is reported on SWRG that the 150121 2C47 1353 Plymouth-Penzance service has hit a person in the Longrock area,
Mainline Trains are starting and terminating at St Erth. However St Ives trains are being cancelled. Has the St Ives train been canceled so the mainline return service can run?

Edit: What I meant was, why were trains on the branch canceled when the person was hit on the mainline?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 18:19:03 by marky7890 » Logged
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 17:53:20 »

I wouldn't have thought so because the St Ive's trains use the bay platform at St Erth, which wouldn't be long enough to platform a HST (High Speed Train).

Grin Grin Grin Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 18:11:01 »

Might have been a temporary staffing problem if a crew change was due.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 20:35:06 »

Maybe the St Ives Unit was Nicked to work an Up service.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 21:59:06 »

Maybe the St Ives Unit was Nicked to work an Up service.
They wouldnt normally do that as to cancel the St Ives for a couple of hours means about 15 cancellations rather than cancelling 1 train on the main, but then I havent checked my Tyrell chack today so I dont know.
Smartie36

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 22:55:18 »

Lucky I wasn't doing one of my day trips down to st ives today, not with all that going on.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 15:56:40 »

That may well be how you feel, Smartie, and I'm all for honesty and the right to freedom of speech - however I'm sure the friends and family of the poor soul who lost his life yesterday don't feel quite as fortunate as you do, and neither does anyone involved with that particular train, both crew and passengers alike. My feelings certainly go out to them, and I'm afraid I have very little sympathy left over for you and the potential for interruption to your travel plans. Please don't take this as as admonition, but simply a request to have a little more consideration before posting in future. Thanks.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 16:22:03 »

however I'm sure the friends and family of the poor soul who lost his life yesterday don't feel quite as fortunate as you do

Agree totally with your sentiments Phil.  Just for the record it was a woman who died which in a strange way makes me feel worse.
Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 21:29:30 »

I understand that the victim was an elderly female who misjudged a foot crossing in the Longrock area.  Fatalities are dreadful at all times, but accidental deaths are especially harrowing. Sympathies to the bereaved and also to the train-crew involved, whom I believe, naturally enough, to be devastated.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:52:38 by Maxwell P » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 16:08:14 »

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch is carrying out an investigation into an accident which occurred at Mexico footpath crossing, near Penzance on Monday 3 October 2011.

Investigation into a fatal accident at Mexico footpath crossing, near Penzance, Cornwall, 3 October 2011

At approximately 15:50 hrs on Monday 3 October 2011, a pedestrian was struck and killed on Mexico footpath crossing, near Penzance, by train 2C47, the 13:53 hrs service from Plymouth to Penzance; formed by a two-car Class 150 diesel multiple unit.
The accident happened when the pedestrian was crossing from the south (beach) side of the crossing towards Long Rock village.  To reach the crossing pedestrians must first pass through a simple pedestrian gate.  There are no warning lights or audible alarms to alert users of approaching trains.  However, for trains heading towards Penzance, a sign has been provided 348 metres (381 yards) before the crossing to instruct train drivers to sound their horns to warn pedestrians of the approach of a train before it comes into view.  The driver of train 2C47 had sounded the horn when in proximity to this sign.

As the train approached the crossing, it was travelling at a speed of about 48 mph (77 km/h), slightly below the maximum permitted speed at this location.  Soon after becoming aware of the presence of the pedestrian, the driver sounded the train horn again and applied the brakes.  However, there was insufficient time to avoid the accident.

The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) will publish a report or a bulletin to present the findings of this investigation.  This will be available on the RAIB website.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 18:23:31 »

From the British Transport Police press release:

ANNIVERSARY APPEAL FOLLOWING LEVEL CROSSING DEATH ^ LONG ROCK, PENZANCE

British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)) officers are today appealing for anyone who witnessed a fatality at Mexico foot crossing at Long Rock, Penzance, Cornwall, on Monday, 3 October 2011 to come forward.

Jeanette Nicholls, aged 73, of Godolphin Road, Long Rock, died after being struck by the 1446hrs Par-Penzance First Great Western service shortly before 4pm on Monday, 3 October.

The incident is being treated as non-suspicious but, ahead of a forthcoming inquest into Mrs Nicholls^ death, BTP officers are appealing for anyone who may have witnessed the incident, or the events leading up to it, to come forward.

Detective Sergeant Jon Rawson, of BTP, said: ^On behalf of HM Coroner for Cornwall, we are making further enquiries into the tragic death of Mrs Nicholls ahead of the inquest.

^We have already spoken to a number of people in relation to the incident at Mexico foot crossing but I am today appealing for anyone who hasn^t already spoken to police, but who may have information which could assist our enquiries and assist the Coroner ahead of the inquest, to please come forward.^

Anyone who believes they will be able to assist is asked to contact British Transport Police on Freefone 0800 40 50 40, quoting incident number 379 of 03/10/2011.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 18:42:48 »

Without wishing to sound unduly crass, someone in the BTP (British Transport Police) press office might want to pick up a dictionary and check the meaning of the word "anniversary" Roll Eyes
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 16:32:19 »

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)) has released its report into the fatal accident which occurred at Mexico footpath crossing, near Penzance, 3 October 2011. The RAIB has made five recommendations.

http://www.raib.gov.uk/publications/investigation_reports/reports_2012/report102012.cfm

Summary

At around 15:50 hrs on Monday 3 October 2011, a pedestrian was struck and fatally injured by a train on Mexico footpath crossing, near Penzance in Cornwall. On approaching the crossing round a curve, the train driver had observed a person standing to the side of the line and had sounded the warning horn immediately before the train reached the crossing. However, the pedestrian then attempted to cross and was struck.

Although it is not possible to be certain why the pedestrian attempted to cross, the RAIB considers that she either misjudged the speed of the approaching train or misjudged her position in relation to the approaching train. She probably saw the train too late to make a reasoned judgement about whether she should cross. The driver had also sounded the train^s horn as required by a lineside ^whistle^ board when the train was approximately 15-16 seconds from the crossing, and out of sight. If the pedestrian had heard and responded to the sounding of the train^s horn at this stage, it is likely that she would not have passed through the gate and onto the crossing until the train had passed. The RAIB considers that the sounding of the horn when the train was 15-16 seconds from the crossing did not serve its function of warning the crossing user of the approaching train for one of the following reasons:

• the sound of the horn was inaudible to her; or
  • she heard a horn being sounded, but did not distinguish it as coming from a train; or
  • she did not register that the train horn was sounded, because she was only approaching the crossing at this time and not yet focused on crossing the railway.

The RAIB has made five recommendations. Three recommendations have been made to Network Rail regarding improvements to sighting and warning arrangements for pedestrians using Mexico footpath crossing, developing a national approach to the location and marking of decision points at level crossings and optimising warning arrangements for pedestrians at level crossings provided with whistle boards. One recommendation (in two parts) has been made to RSSB (Rail Safety and Standards Board) regarding improving intelligence on near-miss incidents at level crossings and enhancing its processes for reviewing the effect of changes made in 2007 to arrangements for sounding train horns at whistle boards. One recommendation has been made to First Great Western regarding a change to standards to require objective testing of horns after a train has been involved in an incident or accident.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 18:20:04 »

From This is Cornwall:

'Deadly' railway crossing near Penzance could close following inquest

A railway crossing near Penzance which claimed the life of a grandmother when she was struck by a train last year has been recommended to be closed, following an inquest in Truro today.

Jeanette Nicholls, 73, died from multiple injuries received when using a footcrossing near the Mexico Inn in Long Rock on October 3 last year.

Jeanette Nicholls, who was struck on the Mexico footcrossing in Long Rock last October

Her death was the second on the crossing and followed five near misses, and two other incidents, to have occurred on the line since June 2007; the latest just a month before the accident.

It is the second fatality to have occurred on the crossing, following the death of Joy Mayo in 1972.

After a jury at the inquest had recorded a verdict of accidental death, coroner Barrie Van Den Berg made the recommendation that the crossing is closed in favour of a level crossing further down the line.

Speaking after the inquest, Mrs Nicholls' family said they were delighted with the outcome. Her daughter, Vanessa Webster, said: "The family is very pleased with the verdict of accidental death following today's inquest and especially heartened by the coroner's recommendation to close the crossing.

"We hope that Network Rail and the relevant councils progress this closure as soon as possible to prevent further tragedies. It is the second death that  has happened on the line, five near misses and two other incidents reported since 2007. It's an accident waiting to happen."

The inquest heard how Mrs Nicholls, who is from village, had been struck by a the First Great Western Service from Plymouth to Penzance at 3.50pm, crossing the line towards Long Rock from a coastal path.

Train driver Nina Hampton, who was absolved of any responsibility for the accident, described how she had sounded her horn after seeing Mrs Nicholls on the crossing. She said: "I would say I was about 100-150 metres away when I saw a lady standing to the left of the crossing.  I blew the horn a second time, she then turned and faced the train and I hit the brake."

Mrs Hampton then described how she had felt a bang on the front of the train before stopping just past a level crossing a couple of hundred metres down the line.

Mrs Nicholls was treated on the scene but died from multiple injuries.

John Cope, from the Rail Accident Investigation Branch, said he could not be certain what caused Mrs Nicholls to be hit but recommended Network Rail consider whether improvements could be made to sighting, review where whistle boards are placed and conduct a nation-wide review to improve warnings at level crossings.

Chris Denham from Network Rail said: "Our thoughts are with Mrs Nicholls' family and Network Rail supports their view that the level crossing should be closed. We will work closely with Cornwall  Council to try to achieve that aim and await details of the coroner's recommendations. We have closed more than 600 level crossings since 2009 and continue with that programme as we try to reduce areas of risk on the railway."

A spokesperson for Cornwall Council added: "We would welcome the invitation from Network Rail to investigate the closure of the crossing. Any proposed closure would be first subject to consultation."

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 18:21:53 »

This was the first article of Westcountry ITV news tonight at 6pm, not sure if can be seen on Iplayer.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: