Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 22:00:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[233] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[41] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[28] Cornish delays
[27] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[15] Where have I been?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Yate & Bristol bus service run by a classic 1980's bus  (Read 3699 times)
XPT

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2011, 19:36:33 »

Not really new as it's been running since June now.  But no mention of it on here.  I only recently found out about it.

New Bus - Blackboy Hill to The Centre for ^1

A new bus service, using a distinctive green double-decker is serving Redland, Clifton, and  the centre. The 2C 'Bristol' bus, leaves Blackboy Hill from 09:00 to 16:30 and serves: Whiteladies Road, Queens Road, Park Street, The Centre and Union Street.

The X2C is a brand new commuter service also ran by 'Bristol' bus and provides a great value way into Bristol from Yate. Leaving Yate 08:00 and serving Coalpit Heath, Downend, Cabot Circus, and The Centre to arrive at 08:45.  The return journey leaves Blackboy Hill at 1630, Broadmead Union Street at 1649 and arrives into Yate at 1740.

Fares are a flat ^1 for any journey in Bristol and only ^2 from Yate to The Centre!

The service is operated by a Leyland Olympian bus.  Photo of one here http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlebay/5982058126/  These were last in public service in Bristol about four or five years ago.  I rode aboard these many times in Bristol back in the 80's and 90's when they were very commonplace, and the early part of this century when they were a little rarer.

I was looking forward to riding on this service today whilst on a day off from work.  Intending to get a journey from Broadmead-Yate on the 1649 service from Union Street.  However I was left very dissapointed, as the service was either running very late or wasn't running atall.  I waited till 1710 at the stop and then gave up and went home.  There didn't appear to be any other passengers waiting for this service though.   Very dissapointed as I was really looking forward to a ride on a growling Olympian bus again.

Anyone know if this service is actually still running, or has it since been scrapped??  The timetables are still on the Union Street and Haymarket stops.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 19:57:10 by XPT » Logged
asdfg

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 20:30:12 »

A timetable of the Yate service can be found at:

(Network Rail - home page)/rdonlyres/ECBA8FBB-54FF-474C-B174-16BA85090782/0/PTE110106.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.southglos.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ECBA8FBB-54FF-474C-B174-16BA85090782/0/PTE110106.pdf

Does anyone know why the service terminates at Mayshill, between Yate and Coalpit Heath on a Friday?

Not too useful for Yate commuters.  Are they supposed to walk the rest of the way or complete their journey by catching the next First service? Huh

Or have I missed something very obvious?
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 20:44:20 »

PaulW2, the timetable in Union Street states that from August 2011 the service does now run all the way to Yate Shopping Centre on Fridays.

Don't know if these services generates much revenue. As I said tonight there appeared to be no one else waiting for this service at Union Street!

And how reliable and punctual is this service?  Neither reliable or punctual was the impression I got of it today when it still hadn't turned up 20 minutes after the scheduled time stated! 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 20:50:45 by XPT » Logged
paulhulbert

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 20:20:56 »

I understand that this service has been discontinued - see http://localfocus.blogspot.com/2011/10/bus-service-changes.html
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 21:44:28 »

Thanks for that latest information, paulhulbert - and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: