Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
15/04/24 21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 05:23:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] Okehampton
[119] The One-Way Wizzo
[59] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[53] From Melksham to Tallinn by train
[44] A two carriage train running back and forth - Swedish differen...
[30] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 18.18 PAD-OXF  (Read 6872 times)
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« on: October 18, 2011, 15:36:44 »

Anyone else travel on this one last night.
Paddington to Oxford departing 18.18, first stop Maidenhead.
This is my regular journey home and I've been on it for years.
Why is it so over-crowded. Shocked
Even the Loo was taken! Tongue

One coach seems to have disappeared recently - I doubt whether we'll get it back, Maybe due to more cost-cutting ?

Good luck if you have to be on it tonight, otherwise avoid.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 15:51:42 »

Why is it so over-crowded. Shocked

Because everyone aims for it as its fast and well-timed. Probably needs moving pre 1800 to reduce the numbers using it....
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 19:12:30 »

All the fast trains to Maidenhead are getting far too overcrowded as there are so few true fast ones these days...

I'm almost at the point of getting a stopping service rather than being rammed onto a train in conditions that cattle wouldn't travel in (particularly as quite often they'll then also heat the train and therefore us all up).. At least on a stopper I can get out if it's horrible and I imagine (but have yet to find out) that there is more chance of getting a seat or at least a bit of room to stand in...

I think the 18.18 used to be  5 or 6 carriages so if they have taken some away that would explain it being worse.

I was on the 19.06 last night.. Why that one is 3 carriages only FGW (First Great Western) know.. That was also crammed to overflowing and was particularly unpleasant.. But then that is the next non-stop train these days after the 18.18.. A lot of passengers can accumulate in Paddington in 48 minutes...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 10:48:00 »

At least on a stopper I can get out if it's horrible and I imagine (but have yet to find out) that there is more chance of getting a seat or at least a bit of room to stand in...

The stoppers are just as bad, if not worse, though they do usually empty out to a point where you can get a seat by Hayes & Harlington, or West Drayton as a worst case scenario.  Mind you, in terms of journey time, that's about the same as one of the Maidenhead fasts!

Perhaps there's a little more stock coming soon though to enable the worst trains to be strengthened, with the imminent end of the refresh programme and return of the 180's and rumours of 150's working the Basingstoke's.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 19:07:05 »

I think the 18.18 used to be  5 or 6 carriages so if they have taken some away that would explain it being worse.

It's booked to be a 5-car train still.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 20:23:55 »

It was 5 cars today.. I was in the middle coach and although there were people standing it wasn't overcrowded.
argg

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 13:42:45 »

For Maidenhead and Twyford why not try the 18.12 Henley train. 
A bit of a Curate's egg, first stop Slough but on the relief line so catches up with and follows the 17.57 stopper somewhere near Hayes so not exactly "fast"
Normally 5 cars and not "oversubscribed" however on Fridays it appears to always reduce to 3 cars and can therefore be more cosy

Recently switched from platform 13 to 14 to 11 which is a shame as the front carriage was always practically empty when no-one could be bothered to walk the length of platforms 13/14.

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 22:00:37 »

But people want fast (non stopping) trains.. not "semi-fast" ones that actually in reality crawl up the relief line... FGW (First Great Western) are playing games as far as I can tell.. Until they remove all the fast trains. and win the game.. Smiley
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 08:19:08 »

They won't get fast ones until IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) free's up a path or two. Its not games  playing, there just aren't the paths for more fasts
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:06:58 by ChrisB » Logged
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 22:27:40 »

They won't get fast ones until IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) free's up a path or two. Its not games  playing, there just aren't the paths for more fasts
there used to be though.. where did they go? :-)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 05:35:33 »

Network Rail took some to ensure more robustness in the TT?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 09:06:07 »

What about Heathrow Connect services - where did the paths for them come from?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 10:18:50 »

More to the point - the HEX services took 4
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 12:17:05 »

I think the Hethrow Connect paths were previously Paddington-Hayes & Harlington bay platform stoppers.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 18:28:08 »

For Maidenhead and Twyford why not try the 18.12 Henley train. 

I think the 18:12 Henley was a likely candidate for Class 180 operation if/when they return.  That might mean it could be retimed a little later and run main-line.  Slough does get the rough end of the deal compared with Twyford and Maidenhead for fast services in the peak!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: