Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:45:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Great Western Cause Overcrowding on a School Bus  (Read 7055 times)
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2007, 16:56:47 »

Due to the engineering work between Truro and Falmouth this week buses were replacing trains. This meant my school bus was used for this, the bus they use on this service is a 50-seater coach which is always full. But the commuters got priority over us school children so we got left with a 37- seater bus. This meant many people had to stand up. How come the rail replacement bus used couldn't have been this bus or another bus so my school bus could have operated without overcrowding. FGW (First Great Western) are so tight they can't hire buses they have to use there sister companys putting out nearly 50 school children. How is this right?
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 20:54:51 »

Due to the engineering work between Truro and Falmouth this week buses were replacing trains. This meant my school bus was used for this, the bus they use on this service is a 50-seater coach which is always full. But the commuters got priority over us school children so we got left with a 37- seater bus. This meant many people had to stand up. How come the rail replacement bus used couldn't have been this bus or another bus so my school bus could have operated without overcrowding. FGW (First Great Western) are so tight they can't hire buses they have to use there sister companys putting out nearly 50 school children. How is this right?

Not defending FGW BUT....

I my day (I'm only 31) kids were expected to give up their seats to adults I used to get a clip round the ear hole if I didnt). 

I see nothing wrong with school children having to stand if it means more adults get a chance of a seat

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 21:10:02 »

Also, First putting their trains before busses for once! and the Falmouth is a busy branch so the extra capacity was probably needed.
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 21:21:13 »

The thing is Corwall Transport Unit quite clearly state every child should be seated for the journey and has a seat "reserved" for them. This is an example of First breaching the rules of a tender.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 21:57:31 »

The thing is Corwall Transport Unit quite clearly state every child should be seated for the journey and has a seat "reserved" for them. This is an example of First breaching the rules of a tender.
Well report the circumstances to the County's Schools Transport unit then as a responsible schoolboy.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 22:10:22 »

right,  And I often have a seat reserved for me on a train but in a time of crisis (or general numptiness) I get standing room only.

hmmm ......... i'd stop digging.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 08:32:02 »

Well report the circumstances to the County's Schools Transport unit then as a responsible schoolboy.

Have done many times. They put someone on the bus to monitor it so First purposely put on a bigger bus as soon as they suspect anything. As soon as the person on the bus goes so does the bigger bus.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 09:01:57 »

Have done many times. They put someone on the bus to monitor it so First purposely put on a bigger bus as soon as they suspect anything. As soon as the person on the bus goes so does the bigger bus.

Well keep your own tally, daily record the Registration Number of the bus and also its fleet number and when its of insufficient size to accomodate all your fellow students and yourself seated as in accordance with the Countys Transport Policy, report it.
First MUST keep a record of bus used / duty allocated / driver involved in case of complaint, speeding, etc so it shouldn't be necessary to put a checker on the bus to check your story.

A number of years ago when my mother was ill I temporarily moved in with her and  used to travel back to my home on an evening once or twice a week to pick up my mail, stay overnight and travel back the next morning. The morning service punctuality was abominable and as it was a council supported service I complained. First threw their hands up and admitted the punctuality issue to the County was reality and were forced to revise the duty so the punctuality improved and it did. Needless to say when the contract came up for renewal, First upped their tender as they had been forced to divert a peak hour resource to enable the supported service to operate to time and thus priced theirselves out of the market.

screwit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 01:52:43 »

Every bus has a seating limit - however (I think it is still the case), this seating limit applies to adults.  When carrying children busses are permited to carry 3 for every 2 adults, i.e. a 37 seater bus becomes a 55 seater bus.  I know it doesn't work in practice but in theory you had enough seats to carry the 50 kids!
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 07:49:21 »

Every bus has a seating limit - however (I think it is still the case), this seating limit applies to adults.  When carrying children busses are permited to carry 3 for every 2 adults, i.e. a 37 seater bus becomes a 55 seater bus.  I know it doesn't work in practice but in theory you had enough seats to carry the 50 kids!
There is no way everybody could go 3 to a 2 seat. Maybe a couple but not everyone.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 09:33:18 »

You should try my school bus that I am occasionally forced to use.

It was a double decker, then it was a new double decker, then a large single decker, then a small single decker, and the other day a bus with 23 seats!

Its absoultly CRAZY with half the bus standing.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 15:33:28 »

Bus dont talk to me about buses.

Give me a crowded train over a Bus anyday.

I've not always been good in my life and When I die I bet

HELL IS A NEVER ENDING BUS RIDE. Cry
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: