27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 04:55:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The computer is going to be thrown out the window in a minute: insertion of img!  (Read 5125 times)
bigdaz
« on: October 22, 2011, 11:40:44 »

I am going to throw this )*&%&^&*^&)*( computer out of the window in a minute!

First of all, I spent hours creating a table in word for insertion into my posting... couldn't paste it even between the table tags....

So I thought, I know, I'll paste it into paint, create a gif (low quality suitable for website) and paste that in between img tags... wrong

I know I'll google for advice.... googled it.... Bulletin boards require that you upload a picture to webspace before embedding... no problem... as a hotmail customer, I have SKydrive space, some of which is public.  I then duly uploaded the image.... chose the embed option to get the http formatting... tried then inserting this code inbetween img tags but all I got was a tiny little square... not the image itself.!  Fed up now :-(
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 14:18:25 »

Under the box where you type a post is 'Additional Options'.

Click on that and you will have the option to attach a file. A Word document (.doc) can be added here direct from your own system. No need to upload to a third party site.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 15:06:42 »

First of all, I spent hours creating a table in word for insertion into my posting...

You used MS Word to create a simple HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) table? Serves you right!

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 15:32:22 »

I've made some changes to the thread where bigdaz was having problems, included the troublesome document and moved it to a more appropriate board.

For future reference for all forum members. If you wish to include relevant documents from your own system (provided they are less than 128KB) you can do so by using the 'Additonal Options' feature found under the box where you type a posting.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 16:55:41 »

You used MS Word to create a simple HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) table? Serves you right!

Umm, bigdaz didn't say that. He used MS Word to create a table for insertion within a post.

He then came here for help. Saying, 'Serves you right!' isn't exactly helpful.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bigdaz
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 17:04:38 »

Thank you Bignosemac!  Other comments have been placed on the other thread too!  But if we just act as grown ups and use the skills we have and share them with each other, then it will be for the better of the whole site.

Perhaps, for example, TerminalJunkie would like to produce some small webcam avi files for download (as an attachment and not bigger than 128k) , demonstrating how to produce things such as a table, for good of all???

Now let sleeping dogs lie!
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 01:18:42 »

Perhaps, for example, TerminalJunkie would like to produce some small webcam avi files for download (as an attachment and not bigger than 128k) , demonstrating how to produce things such as a table, for good of all???

Calm down, dear: unfortunately I had to dash off to a Darts Match, and didn't have time to explain how to do it before I left. Just for once, I wasn't actually trying to be arsey!

I'm back now, so here goes: (please note that you should use square brackets where I have used curly ones)
  • Put your data into Excel. (Honestly: just bear with me...) You might need to apply a custom format to keep leading zeros on the times before 10:00
  • Insert a blank row at the top.
  • Insert a blank column on the left.
  • Insert a blank column between each of the other columns.
  • In the first (blank) row, enter a {table} tag.
  • Add a {/table} tag after the last row.
  • In the first column, enter {tr}{td} tags, then copy this cell down the whole column.
  • In each of the intervening columns, enter {/td}{td} tags, then copy this cell down the whole column.
  • In the last column enter {/td}{/tr}, then copy this cell down the whole column.
  • Now press CTRL (Channel Tunnel Rail Link)-A to select the whole sheet, and CTRL-C to copy it to the clipboard.
  • The, paste it into Notepad (or a similar text editor), and use Find-and-replace to remove all the Tabs and double spaces. (You could skip this stage; it just makes the result a bit smaller)
  • Now press CTRL-A to select the whole document, and CTRL-C to copy it to the clipboard.
  • Finally, paste it into your message.

You should end up with something like this:
Code:
[table]
[tr][td]London Paddington 9[/td][td]0709[/td][td]And the next working, 1Z38:[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ladbroke Grove[/td][td]0712 RL[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Acton West[/td][td]0716 RL[/td][td]Portsmouth Harbour 1[/td][td]1540[/td][/tr]
[...]
[tr][td][/td][td][/td][td]Acton West[/td][td]2352 RL[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td][/td][td]Ealing Broadway[/td][td]2355[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Which will then appear like this:
London Paddington 90709And the next working, 1Z38:
Ladbroke Grove0712 RL
Acton West0716 RLPortsmouth Harbour 11540
[...]
Acton West2352 RL
Ealing Broadway2355

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 02:22:46 »

Thanks for that TJ. And, I assume the apology of sorts for not intending to be 'arsey'.  Wink

I trust you'll agree though that the simplest answer to bigdaz's initial problem is the one I offered, viz, creating a document in MS Word and attaching said document?

There are, of course, many other options at the disposal of forum members. Some more complex than others. If I'm honest, your latest option is at the more complex end of the spectrum.....

Now. Darts. That's something I can get my head round. Once threw an eleven darter*. How was your match?

*Yes. It was 501.  Tongue Wink Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bigdaz
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 07:55:40 »

I am giving it a go!

Sothisishow
todoitI
getitnow!Thank
youTerminaljunkie!
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 10:50:37 »

I assume the apology of sorts for not intending to be 'arsey'.  Wink
You assume wrongly: apologies are for big jessies, and Lib Dems in the weeks leading up to the next General Election  Grin

I trust you'll agree though that the simplest answer to bigdaz's initial problem is the one I offered, viz, creating a document in MS Word and attaching said document?
Agree? Moi? Tongue

Attachments aren't ideal, since the end-user doesn't necessarily have the software to open them. Plus they have to click something to open it. And the (admittedly small) risk of a virus.

Now. Darts. That's something I can get my head round. Once threw an eleven darter*.
I had an eleven darter once, too: 180-45-180-96. Long time ago, though!

How was your match?

We won 8-1. I played in the pairs, and threw 15 darts in two legs of 501!

I was partnered with the captain, who threw first - the first leg went 180 - 30 - 100 (I had the cheek to complain he didn't leave me an outshot Cool ) - 100 - 91 (T17 D20). The second leg went 99 - 21 (I had a bounce-out) - 95 - 137 (I left him an outshot!) - 41 - 76 (I missed D16) - 32 (he didn't).

Oh, and the bloke behind the bar was a former World Matchplay Champion (Bowls, not Darts).

Hmm. This thread is starting to drift like my darts...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: