Delayed
04:53 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:02 Bristol Parkway to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 06:47:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[255] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[89] You see all sorts on the bus.
[86] "Mayflower"
[80] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Where have I been?
[54] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Possibility of 170 units for FGW?  (Read 12647 times)
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 18:30:43 »

I've never travelled on a 170 but I have only ever heard praise for them but doubt they'll ever come down to Cornwall as they're unlikely to do BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI))-PNZ as they either go to Plymouth or Exmouth afterwards but it would free up some nice 158's for us.
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 18:43:31 »

, if the latest RUMOUR is to believed,

AH! Railway Rumour Grin Grin Grin
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 19:06:43 »

Ahh, all this talk of 150's, 170's and 180's - tosh - yawn. WHEN I'm old enough to be driving trains I'll be driving a preserved Class 101 on the TransWilts Line on hire to FGW (First Great Western).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 21:57:18 by martyjon » Logged
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 20:42:02 »

The 170s on the Glasgow Edinburgh run are doubled up in the peak, so potentially 1 Cl 180 could replace 2 Cl 170 if the current demand is too great for 1 unit but leaves a second under capacity. They are superb units (having travelled on them very recently) and would be a huge improvement on the existing Cl 158s, both in terms of capacity and quality of interior (though I'll admit I haven't seen the refurbed Cl 158.)

This would seem a very sensible use of stock all round.   
If you want to see a 158 at it best travel on a SWT (South West Trains) 158/159 which shows what you can do with them and how good they really can be; especially first class.
Scotrails 158's are of an equal standard, all of the English taxpayers money is spent on subsidising and improving Scotlands railways!
mada
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 21:12:26 »

I take it the 170's would go straight on Portsmouth to Cardiff?

2) The Class 170 units could end up displacing the Class 158 units currently operating on the Portsmouth - Cardiff route. Would those 158's then end up being sent to (say) Northern Rail , rather than boosting capacity elsewhere in the FGW (First Great Western) area?

If this happens I think we should organise a blockade at the entrance to the depot preventing them from departing for the north! I'm sick of decent trains leaving our area.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 21:15:47 »

I think FGW (First Great Western) have realised their mistakes by sending units off lease that they need! problem is, if they have more units then they need to pay for them so they need to attract more passengers which means that they will still be full!
mada
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 21:18:58 »

I think FGW (First Great Western) have realised their mistakes by sending units off lease that they need! problem is, if they have more units then they need to pay for them so they need to attract more passengers which means that they will still be full!

But wouldn't that mean they'd just have to attract more people in Scotland on the heavily subsidised services which we pay for through the taxes in England anyway??  Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 21:58:33 »

..... WHEN I'm old enough to be driving trains I'll be driving a preserved Class 101 on the TransWilts Line on hire to FGW (First Great Western).

So they'll do well enough to have their franchise renewed in the middle of the next decade, then  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 13:16:15 »

lets hope the rumours are true.

I travlled on the FSR (First Scot Rail) 170s a couple of months ago and they are very comfortable.  Three car 170s woudl certainly be better than 2 car 158s.  170s also have better accelaration and top speed (although presumably not when coupled to a 14x).  The downside is that they wear out the track faster and tehrefore attract a much higher access charge so they would cost FGW (First Great Western) more to run. 

If we do get 170s, T'd like to see them segregated from the 14xs.  I know that the ability to couple them together makes them more flexible but it just seems stupid to me to cripple a 100mph train by coupling it to a 75mph train.  I assume that the line speed of the route is at least 90mph in many places.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 13:37:26 »

You say that but remember the 0624 Arriva service from Penzance to Manchester Picc/Milford Haven? that used to be a 158+153! restricted to 75MPH!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 15:15:17 »

I assume that the line speed of the route is at least 90mph in many places.

Portsmouth - Cardiff line speed guide :

Portcreek Junction to St Denys Junction - 40 - 75 mph.
St Denys Junction to Wilton Junction - 80 - 105 mph.
Wilton Junction to Bathampton Junction - 40 - 75 mph.
Bathampton Junction to Bristol - 80 - 105 mph.
Bristol to Filton Junction - 40 - 75 mph.
Filton Junction - Severn Tunnel Junction - 80 - 105 mph.
Severn Tunnel Junction to Cardiff - either 40 - 75 mph or 80 - 105 mph depending on what line you are on.

There is also a 110 - 125 mph section from just outside Cardiff - Central station.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 15:27:12 »

I assume that the line speed of the route is at least 90mph in many places.

Portsmouth - Cardiff line speed guide :

Portcreek Junction to St Denys Junction - 40 - 75 mph.
St Denys Junction to Wilton Junction - 80 - 105 mph.
Wilton Junction to Bathampton Junction - 40 - 75 mph.
Bathampton Junction to Bristol - 80 - 105 mph.
Bristol to Filton Junction - 40 - 75 mph.
Filton Junction - Severn Tunnel Junction - 80 - 105 mph.
Severn Tunnel Junction to Cardiff - either 40 - 75 mph or 80 - 105 mph depending on what line you are on.

There is also a 110 - 125 mph section from just outside Cardiff - Central station.
Wilton-Bath has a 85 section doesn'tit, in the Wyle area?

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 16:55:19 »

Thanks Lee, you are a mine of information.  The line speed are generally slower than I thought so a faster unit might not make a huge difference to journey times.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 07:13:08 »

Ahh, all this talk of 150's, 170's and 180's - tosh - yawn. WHEN I'm old enough to be driving trains I'll be driving a preserved Class 101 on the TransWilts Line on hire to FGW (First Great Western).
..... WHEN I'm old enough to be driving trains I'll be driving a preserved Class 101 on the TransWilts Line on hire to FGW.

So they'll do well enough to have their franchise renewed in the middle of the next decade, then  Grin
Not the next decade but the one after that as our young budding rail worker would only have just attained the age of double figures by the middle of the next decade.

Its not a question of doing well enough to have their franchise renewed, its who will pay the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) the biggest premium, some would call it bribe, to run the franchise after all its the tolerant passengers that would have to contribute to the said premium
However, if what I read in one of the Sundays over the past weekend that petrol might top ^1-50 a litre come Christmas and ^2-50 a litre by next the young lad wont be driving a heritage DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit), he'll be firing a preserved pannier tank hauling 5 former FGW HST (High Speed Train) trailers between Westbury and Swindon on a shuttle. The trailers will of course have been modified with vacuum brakes and steam heating.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:53:54 by martyjon » Logged
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 13:06:41 »

Or the pannier modified to have air brakes!, sorry, couldn't resist! Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: