Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 22:36:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Stopping at Stations in Cornwall  (Read 7363 times)
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2011, 17:25:56 »

Have had a great trip down from Reading today on the Cornish Riviera.  Clean, fast, full but not packed, no intermediate stops until Exeter, etc, etc.

Once again always hugely disappointed with having to change onto a 153 at Plymouth, simply to connect to Lostwithiel, with the 50 minute additional journey time this entails.

Can anyone shed any light on why Lostwithiel seems to be the only town on the main line of any size in Cornwall, that the London trains do not stop at ?

I am aware that they fulfil a useful 'Cornwall Commuter' role at Peak times, but it would be useful to know the criteria by which FGW (First Great Western), or others decide what stops here and what doesn't.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 17:39:20 »

Acceptable journey times.....
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 18:15:50 »

If you compare Lostwithiel with St Germans and Saltash. St Germans and Saltash both have an active rail users group campaigning for better services. I do not know of an active rail users group for Lostwithiel. The service at Lostwithiel would probably be better if more journeys were recorded from the station.  The journey time to Par and St Austell makes it difficult to sell tickets for every passenger within this time.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 19:11:38 »

The Riviera doesnt stop at Lostwithiel because it's an express service! the only reason it stops at Hayle is because its in the franchise spec for some reason, this service doesnt call at any of the "shacks".
StuartStIves

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 21:31:59 »

1406 Paddington - Penzance, 0541, 0645, 1600 Penzance - Paddingtons and the Down Night Riviera all call at Lostwithiel.
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 21:41:29 »

1406 Paddington - Penzance, 0541, 0645, 1600 Penzance - Paddingtons and the Down Night Riviera all call at Lostwithiel.

Interesting stuff, although those very services are the one I suggested were providing the 'Cornwall Commuter' services, and their stopping at Lostwithiel and other smaller stations is not primarily to facilitate travel to and from London.

The Riviera doesnt stop at Lostwithiel because it's an express service! the only reason it stops at Hayle is because its in the franchise spec for some reason, this service doesnt call at any of the "shacks".

So what defines a shack?  Lostwithiel has a significantly larger population within sensible walking distance than Bodmin Parkway, yet Bodmin gets every service stopping.  Where is the logic in that ?
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 21:58:34 »

I think the term shack refers to the waiting accomodation at the respective stations, rather than a derogatory comment about the communities served.

Bodmin Parkway serves a significant area beyond the environs of the station, with regular bus connections and significant car parking at the station too.

marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 22:10:11 »

Bodmin Parkway I believe is used by quite alot of people in North Cornwall, due to it being the only station for miles.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 22:18:35 by marky7890 » Logged
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 22:19:32 »

Does seem a bit as if FGW (First Great Western) can't win sometimes... They get a lot of stick from some quarters for the relatively slow journey times of HSTs (High Speed Train) that make most of the station calls on the Cornish mainline, but also take flack from others if a particular train doesn't run directly to their destination.
richard bickford

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 09:53:28 »

Lostwithiel are also served by Cross Country trains, Saltash and St Germans are not. You'll find they are pretty well served.

I know we have demand for the down Sleeper to call at Saltash both for long distance travellers and those wanting to get to the west of Cornwall earlier in the day.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 17:24:29 »

Firstly the term "shack" is not derogatory it is railway jargon for unstaffed stations, Bodmin Parkway serves a huge area as a railhead and this is reflected by it's far greater footfall than many other stations in Cornwall, of the HST (High Speed Train)'s that do stop at Lostwithiel there are very few who travel to London.
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 19:50:19 »

All understood and thank you for the replies.  I am of the opinion that FGW (First Great Western) have done wonders for rail travel in Cornwall, but what with the specification for the new franchise being compiled, I suppose what I am trying to figure out is how to improve the service we get at Lostwithiel.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 09:20:16 »

Have you / can you proved the demand exists?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 15:54:41 »

ChrisB makes an important point.

If there is demand, then there are avenues that one can go down to make representations in an effort to see an improved service/calling pattern.

You can contact your local FGW (First Great Western) Customer Panel member. There's local councillors and/or your MP (Member of Parliament). There's also TravelWatch SouthWest. Those are just a few of the avenues you could explore, if you have the time and inclination. You could also test the water with a letter to a local newspaper. 

Campaigning for improved services is however very much a long game..... just ask one of this forum's Administrators, grahame!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 23:41:17 »

Was heading to Devon today via the Cross Country 9:40am Penzance service - on arriving at St Erth I checked Rail Planner Live only to find the service cancelled and starting from Plymouth - not an unknown occurrence.
I was therefore surprised when the service arrived on time and a tad annoyed when it ran through at line speed.
Station Manager at St Erth could only suggest that it ran fast to Plymouth as it had no TM(resolve) but it certainly had one on the way down to Penzance.
I've known XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to cancel services from Penzance before but then the service never entered Cornwall.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: