06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 07:57:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Mum^s message for car clampers after son is caught out" (Portsmouth News 11/11)  (Read 3843 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: November 12, 2011, 15:13:53 »

ANGRY mum Julia Hazel got her own back on car clampers ^ with a bucket of sludge and a video camera.

The 43-year-old saw red after her son^s car was clamped in Cosham, Portsmouth, and she had to stump up the ^205 release fee.

She filled a bucket up with porridge, frozen vegetables and food colouring to turn the mixture bright yellow.

Then she went down to the car park, behind the Iceland store in Old Market Road, and lay in wait.

When a clamper from controversial firm City Watch turned up, Julia chased him round the car park with the bucket before emptying the contents over the seats of his van.

Her friend Vicki Hamlyn, 48, filmed the episode on a video camera.

Vicki posted it on YouTube under the username MsWheelclamper ^ and it has clocked up more than 3,000 hits.

Julia, of Wells Close, Milton, said she felt she had to act after her son was clamped on September 15.

She said: ^I got a call from my son to say he had been clamped, even though he had left his car for literally two minutes so he could get change for the meter.

^The situation was disgusting enough but what infuriated me was overhearing the clamper in the background saying ^are you going to get mummy then are you?^.

^At that point I saw red. My son didn^t have the money to pay so I had to go down and hand over the money or else they were going to tow his car away. Afterwards I realised something needed to be done.

^I don^t regret it and I believe I was sticking up for everyone who has been affected by the clampers.

^Someone was being clamped at the time so it spurred me on.

^Everyone has thought about doing the same. People in the car park were cheering and clapping.^

Police ordered Julia to pay ^60 in compensation to City Watch Enforcement for cleaning of uniforms and its van.

She sent a cheque to the firm last week.

Portsmouth City Council is to take over parking enforcement in the new year after a string of complaints about City Watch, which has taken more than ^40,000 from motorists this year.

The clamping firm refused to comment when it was contacted by The News.
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/transport/mum_s_message_for_car_clampers_after_son_is_caught_out_1_3241905

Well, apart from opening yourself up to a possible charge of assault, I would not recommend taking the stance of this lady if you are misfortunate enough to be clamped.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 16:41:59 »

I echo that advice brucey, but it is kinda funny though!

One thing though I don't quite believe is the Police ordering her to pay ^60 in compensation to the clampers. Police can't do that can they? They can issue a fixed penalty, perhaps for a Section 5 Public Order Offence in this case, but that money wouldn't go to the victim. Any order of compensation would have to be made by a court, surely?

Still, private clampers should soon be a thing of the past. I understand the Protection of Freedoms Bill is currently on its second reading with the House of Lords. A few more steps (committee, report, third reading) and it should receive Royal Assent in the Spring.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 16:49:36 »

i hate clampers.... however... this whole two mins thing doesnt sit rite with me ! ...... how many of us when we were younger and did something silly and then amended the story so that it was more likly to get help from our parents..........

as for the 'revenge' ... one word... moron
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 20:42:51 »

Hmm ...

Julia, of Wells Close, Milton, said she felt she had to act after her son was clamped on September 15.

I suspect that quite a lot has happened between that date and certain aspects of the story appearing now in the press.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: