21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:48:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Evergreen 3 project - ongoing discussion  (Read 352076 times)
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 10, 2016, 12:25:13 »

Would these be the same neighbours who bought new flats backing onto railway sidings only, to complain when they realised that they weren't empty at night, but full of DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) with diesel engines running by any chance?

Reminds me of the acquaintance at university who was renowned as a light sleeper, who proudly announced the location of his new house, right next to the railway line in Cardiff. When questioned on the wisdom of this, his reply was that the only trains using the line were squitty little things that stopped running reasonably early. Didn't have the heart to tell him about the coal trains with squealing brakes that used the line through the night, I believe he was on sleeping pills within a couple of weeks and moved out before the end of the first term. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 10, 2016, 13:32:45 »

Would these be the same neighbours who bought new flats backing onto railway sidings only, to complain when they realised that they weren't empty at night, but full of DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) with diesel engines running by any chance?

No, these are townhouses much nearer the station where the new platforms are being built.

How much of the falling behind has been due to delays in starting while NR» (Network Rail - home page) responded to objections by the same neighbours, eventually found by the planning process to be unjustified?  

"Own goal" is the first phrase that springs to mind.

For the one person with influence (and any others) that tried to put all sorts of spanners in the works, I agree.  I feel sorry for those that have just shrugged their shoulders and put up with it and are now faced with a month of constant noise, and NR certainly won't be endearing themselves to them one bit.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 20, 2016, 10:21:28 »

I think it's going to be called 'Up Relief' from Wolvercote Junction to Oxford North Junction, then 'Up Jericho Bi-Di' or something very similar from Oxford North Junction to Oxford station.  Either way, I'll confirm when I know for sure.

I know for sure - from NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s Project Senior Sponsor....which is where my info came from initially, but now have it in writing

Following the commissioning of Phase 1, in 2018, it will be call the “UP Relief” all the way from Wolvercote Junction to Oxford station.

That should defuse any arguments!

I suspect he's a reader on here :-)

Well that's very strange because on the Signalling Scheme Plans its called the 'Up Oxford Relief' and it extends all the way from Wolvercote Junction to Hinksey North (in the final layout).

Wow, Chris B looks as if he might be in the wrong. Is this a first ?

I strongly doubt it this time :-)

Well, all I can state is that on the Phase 0 and Phase 1 final TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) signalling scheme plans that I have seen its always shown as 'Up Oxford Relief'.  Currently, as Industry Insider has stated above, it is called the 'Down Jericho'.

Finally seen it confirmed in enough official places to confirm it is going to be called the 'Up Oxford Relief'.  SandTEngineer was right.  ChrisB, his contact within NR, and my original suggestion were wrong.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 21, 2016, 12:31:45 »

According to the Open Train Times maps test running/driver training has commenced today (21 November 2016) between Oxford Parkway and Oxford.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #589 on: November 21, 2016, 12:42:47 »

Hmmm, interesting - must just be to the 3car platform 2 plus the other movs within the station - platform 1 & the extension to platform 2 aren't finished yet....

I wonder who trains the driver trainers? :-)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 21, 2016, 12:58:10 »

Hmmm, interesting - must just be to the 3car platform 2 plus the other movs within the station - platform 1 & the extension to platform 2 aren't finished yet....

I wonder who trains the driver trainers? :-)

Yes, really interesting as I have just watched a test train (5T22) go into and out of Oxford Platform No.1. Roll Eyes Cheesy

They are also testing movements to/from the Oxford Up Carriage Sidings and Hinksey Reception Line.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 13:30:48 by SandTEngineer » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #591 on: November 21, 2016, 13:30:16 »

Progress over the weekend - there was little track in that platform 1 last Friday.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 23, 2016, 18:30:56 »

Geoff Plumb has added three pics to his site of a Chiltern unit on the section near Wolvercot tunnel:
https://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/November-2016/i-4Tdd8kQ

Paul

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 23, 2016, 19:53:42 »

With signalling commissioned the footpath at Aristotle Lane has finally closed.  Much upset to allotment owners who now have to take a slight detour over a new bridge.

However a major improvement for lots of local residents as whistle boards associated with the crossing have now been removed.  They might not notice too much difference in the short term though, as workers still need to be warned of approaching trains as they finish off the Oxford Corridor Phase 0 works and continue Phase 1 works recently started.

Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 23, 2016, 22:14:38 »

Geoff Plumb has added three pics to his site of a Chiltern unit on the section near Wolvercot tunnel:
https://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/November-2016/i-4Tdd8kQ

Paul

Wow, that's a lot of yellow fencing. Presumably what H&S (Health and Safety) demands these days when you have rebuilds.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the support for future electrification goes as far as mast bases installed, or are there just gaps where they can be planted as required?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 23, 2016, 22:42:33 »

Just passive provision.

Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 24, 2016, 13:45:51 »

Just passive provision.

Ta
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 03, 2016, 17:10:41 »

The full length of Platform 2 (six cars) at Oxford is being commissioned this weekend, with Platform 1 set to follow on the day of the new service starting.  Still a fair bit of work to do on it and I imagine it will still be a bit of a mess for a few months after whilst several bits of work are completed - the canopy for a start.  Not the sort of impression Chiltern would have wanted to present to its passengers, but I guess getting it open on time is the important thing!

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #598 on: December 03, 2016, 17:36:56 »

There apears to be a height difference between platforms 2&3, with a ramp construction at the north end with a step currently closer to the overbridge. Wasn't expecting that...
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 08, 2016, 20:44:57 »

Reminds me of the acquaintance at university who was renowned as a light sleeper.

I knew a light sleeper who always woke up with a light on.

I can't finish that joke...

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43
  Print  

Jump to: