I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:01:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 43
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Evergreen 3 project - ongoing discussion  (Read 350695 times)
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #510 on: April 15, 2016, 10:16:21 »

An aquaintance of mine reported that he attended the Wem bly Oxford U. match a week or so back. He occasionally uses GWR (Great Western Railway) C.L. servicves but he was travelling with a nephew who wanted to try out Chiltern from Parkway. He says that they arrived on the Sunday morning at aropund 10.30 to find a long queue of 50 or more cars entering the car park but that Chiltern had staff all around the car park directing drivers where to park so it took only a few minutes as it was so well organised. There was plenty of friendly and helpful staff all around the station and two trains at the platform coping well with the large numbers of travellers. At Wembly, there was also staff directing people to the stadium. He says he was impressed with the quality of the train appearance, for both comfort and cleanliness and would not hesitate to use Chiltern again in future. Obviously Chiltern made a special effort on that day but it would appear to have paid off in creating a good impression. Another aquaintance also attended but had travelled on a coach direct from Hanborough and whilst the journey there went smoothly, their coach was stuck for two hours at Wembly queuing to leave the stadium after the game and they did not get home until 20.30 whilst another rail traveller he knew had got home hours earlier so he reckons if Oxford U. get to the promotion playoffs at Wembly in a few weeks time he will also try the Chiltern train.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 15, 2016, 10:55:35 »

A few friends of mine also used the Oxford Parkway to Wembley Stadium service and a few others used chartered buses and all reported exactly the same thing.  Chiltern very well organised and super quick, the coaches were fine there but big hold-ups on the way back.

Good work from Chiltern, though their operation should be slick as they get plenty of practice with the regular events held at the stadium.  I've only had the chance to use them once from High Wycombe for a gig a few years back and was mightily impressed then - certainly a far, far better way of reaching many destinations than the walk slow shuffle down Wembley Way to Wembley Park.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 15, 2016, 11:36:33 »

Think Chiltern have a capacity for around 10,000 people in the first hour leaving Wembley, which is about a quarter of those those that go to Wembley Park. As you might expect, everything is a lot more packed after an event than before.

The queues for the various north bound destinations are segregated, although there is somewhat of a problem for Haddenham and Thame Parkway where the Birmingham trains will sometimes stop but the designated queue is for nearer terminating services. They do though sometimes call for Haddenham passengers to switch.

I also see that the Oxford Parkway trains after an event have a number of near London stops (Northolt Park, South & West Ruislip etc)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #513 on: April 15, 2016, 12:40:12 »

They carried in excess of 12,000 that day from Oxford Parkway alone....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 15, 2016, 14:12:07 »

Would be interesting to know what percentage of their total revenue Wembley Stadium events contribute to Chiltern.  It must certainly have been missed during the rebuild between 2000 and 2007.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #515 on: April 15, 2016, 14:16:23 »

The vast majority are simply MYB (London (Marylebone))-Wembley shuttles, so not very much in total. It's only if a Birmingham team (or now Oxford) reach Wembley, that'll be when it takes off.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 15, 2016, 14:51:48 »

It is noticeable that if it is an evening match only a few shuttles are put on before the match. Some of the longer distance trains have stops added at WCX that are not advertised at MYB (London (Marylebone)) and which in the time table are pick up only, but the people with Club Wembley complimentary rail tickets are directed to use them.

There is also a dedicated train for the use of only for Club Wembley members to and from both London and Birmingham when it is a 'core event'.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #517 on: April 15, 2016, 15:02:13 »

Not so - the longer distance in the peaks don't stop at all & theose in the counter-peak direction do and are advertised as such.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 15, 2016, 15:18:11 »

Which doesn't contradict what I posted above which related to trains from MYB (London (Marylebone)) before an evening match and those not to MYB. Although I do suppose we may differ on what is considered to be longer distance with Chiltern Railways as I was thinking of any that weren't WCX shuttles in this context Grin

Incidentally a DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains)-WCX ticket is valid via London or Banbury at present. Just slightly different routes ...
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #519 on: April 15, 2016, 15:20:12 »

Long(er)-distance onj Chiltern are those that run beyond Princes Risborough towards Bicester....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 23, 2016, 10:05:48 »

Some photos of the Oxford Parkway to Oxford progress at Wolvercote.  Not a massive amount of visible work done, since my last set were taken, but further progress on the sound barriers and the embankments either side of the formation have now been constructed.

The first two are viewed from the recently re-opened First Turn bridge looking towards Oxford - the view looking towards Oxford Parkway was blocked off by hoardings sadly:

These last two were taken from the northern portal of Wolvercote Tunnel:

I'll return later in the year when the track has been laid.  The bridge which overlooks Oxford North Junction is also out of action until the summer whilst the approach to it gets modified, so as soon as that opens I'll pop along and take some more of the junction, which is really starting to take shape.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #521 on: May 24, 2016, 21:13:42 »

Many thanks for, firstly, getting out there and taking those pictures and, secondly, posting them here for our information, IndustryInsider.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 21, 2016, 17:05:31 »

Track laying complete:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/oxford-to-marylebone-track-now-complete

Not quite the case as a couple of small sections still need to be done near Oxford North Junction, but it would now be possible to avoid those and run a train all the way with a bit of jiggery-pokery!  Wink

I've noticed one of their Turbos being sent down daily over the last few days to do some route learning, with many shunts south of the station also being covered.  Looks like the longer peak trains are booked into and out of platforms 3 and 4 come December (and will need to shunt), so I'm guessing by then Platforms 1 and 2 will only be partly finished and open for use by trains of up to three (or perhaps four) carriages?  That will put extra pressure on the two busy through platforms at Oxford.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 21, 2016, 17:36:04 »

The planning (permitted development rights) approval I was looking at a while back showed the rebuilt bays as 5 and 6 car; but then I've also heard they will both be about 160m.  Presumably though if they are to continue running the LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) services as they do now they at least would definitely have to use a through platform.    I'd have thought other than LHCS though most trains will be 6 car (say 140m) or less?

I thought I saw some pictures somewhere suggesting the new bay platform structures were almost completed?

Paul

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 21, 2016, 18:15:40 »

Yes, they'll be 6-car length (perhaps even 7?) when complete, but although the far end is progressing nicely, at the near end the old traincrew block is still being occupied (until next month), let alone demolished and work has barely started on the section that was the old short stay car park.  They'd be going some to get that all finished in the less than three months that remain.  At the far end, platform 2 (the old bay platform), is open to three car length currently, with platform 1 being built.

Reattimetrains has the 06:43, 07:20, 07:44, 19:20 and 20:00 departures for Marylebone off of either 3 or 4 (with a similar number of arrivals using 3).  The rest use either 1 or 2 in similar amounts interspersed with the odd GWR (Great Western Railway) service to Banbury.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 43
  Print  

Jump to: