Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:18:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What does this actually mean?  (Read 6557 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2011, 14:02:17 »

This is where the computerised system with pre-chosen phrases lets itself down.

From the FGW (First Great Western) website
13:50 Truro to Falmouth Docks due 14:14
This train has been cancelled.This is due to an unusually large passenger flow.

Last Updated: 15/10/2011 13:47
14:20 Falmouth Docks to Truro due 14:48
This train has been cancelled.This is due to an unusually large passenger flow.

Last Updated: 15/10/2011 13:48
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 14:34:54 »

From what I can see 2F79 (1320 TRU-FAL) was late due to passenger loadings, as was the return working, it seems they have cancelled one return trip in an effort to 'reboot' the service into right time. How this will be affected by increased passenger flow caused by the cancellation is anyone's guess!  Roll Eyes
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 19:47:38 »

Was an odd day at Truro because of the Truro to St Austell blockade - passengers for Falmouth were arriving in lumps as buses brought them down from St Austell.
The branch was a 153 in either direction - I went down in the morning and it was rammed - coming back at tea time was well loaded and 6 minutes down again - it's also Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) week at Falmouth & the town was buzzing.
The cancellation was covered by a Bus.

The TRU PNZ shuttle was a mixture of 150+153 and HSTs (High Speed Train) running hourly - the 17:13 I caught was an HST and rammed - next weekend is half-term and blockaded again - I will probably be travelling by Bus.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 19:59:30 »

Yes.   Unusually large passenger flow does seem difficult to colprehend at times.   Yesterday, for example, a Cardiff to Portsmouth started from Newport allegedly due to this reason but completely difficult to fathom out.   It appears that FGW (First Great Western) have a standard list of delays but this one can be rather vague ad I think should be more explicit.     I appreciate that the Branch was being worked by 2 single 153s today, but should it be 2 coaches on each diagram rather than 1 x 153 on one and 2 X 153 on the other.    If there was 2 single 153s today and this was perhaps delaying the trains due to passengers trying to squeeze into reduced accomodation, the cancellation of a trip could have made the position worse but I accept the logic, i.e. to "catch up" of the circumstances.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 00:00:11 »

surely they'd need to cancel the same timings in the opposite direction, other wise both units will of been in the same end of the branch!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
insider

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 02:14:41 »

It appears that FGW (First Great Western) have a standard list of delays but this one can be rather vague ad I think should be more explicit.    .

The reasons used are preset but not by FGW, they are decided by ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) and are the only "reasons" the industry are allowed to use.
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 17:35:54 »

There has been interesting debate on another Forum recently about the ambiguity of reasons of delay which at times can seem meaningless and used as excuses to cover something else.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 17:41:10 »

I can remember my aged mother being most concerned when told her service would not call at Totnes "due to a fault on the train" - she was convinced it was because the brakes weren't working!!  Grin
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 18:45:54 »

I initially misread that as "delays due to an unusually large passenger fellow", and thought it terribly un-PC
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 19:00:36 »

It's a wonder they haven't referred to it as customer flow.   The word passenger is going out of fashion as a result of people who want to change the dictionary
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 11:44:56 »

In the old days the railways prided themselves on being able to cope with unusually large passenger flows.

But Beeching started the rot by pointing out 6000 coaches moved less than 18 times a year.

Now the "Bean Counters" only let you have 2*153s for the Falmoth branch even though the traffic has grown quite dramatically.

Of course where you'd get extra stock is another matter every TOC (Train Operating Company) seems to be short of stock particularly DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit).
slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 12:58:09 »

The problem this day was both trains being formed of a single 153 with the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) Festival on in Falmouth. Even though *most* trains weren't full say around 50 passengers, the problem is the time it takes to get them out of two narrow doors at each end of the coach, then get a similar number of people back on, especially add a couple buggies and bikes. A 150 however has nice wide doors in the centre part of the carriage. Apparently the Falmouth is to be run by x2 class 150 from December.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 02:07:03 »

I initially misread that as "delays due to an unusually large passenger fellow", and thought it terribly un-PC

I'm sorry, but my inner child has been tickled by that comment Grin Grin

Would you like your coat Phil?? Tongue Grin Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 19:12:08 »

I had my coat taken from me some while ago for continually misbehaving, trout mate Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: