17:50 Penzance to London Paddington
22:40 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
22:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 23:23:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: BITE card - discount card for use at railway station outlets  (Read 54137 times)
matt473

View Profile Email
« on: April 18, 2012, 00:10:20 »

http://www.bitecard.co.uk/

For those with a bite card, or even those who do not but will find this information useful, to gain/retain 20% discount at retailers at stations throughout the UK (United Kingdom) need to sign up or sign up again for a bitecard as soon they will no longer be accepted unless you have the new style bitecard. Essential for those who wish to save cash having a sneaky pint waiting for the train at certain stations  Wink
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 00:33:55 »

Thanks for posting that, I can safely say I didn't realise!

I am no longer an active member of this website.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 00:37:07 »

Cheers for the heads up. Not getting a cheap(er) pasty or pint would have been a terrible discovery.  Wink

In the T&Cs, someone was a bit over-enthusiastic with CAPS 'search & replace':
No unlawful or prohiBITEd use

As a condition of your use of the BITE Card and/or this website, you agree that you will not use the BITE Card or this website for any purpose that is unlawful or prohiBITEd by the Terms.

Grin
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:59:51 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:30:53 »

I'm a big fan of Bite card but didn't realise you could get a discount on beer! Which outlets give you a discount on a pint (and where?). Thanks for the heads up.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:21:09 »

Thanks for the heads up.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 12:33:34 »

Licensed Upper Crusts, Pumpkin Cafes etc will give you BITE discount on the beers wines and spirits they stock for off-sales.

Pubs/Cafe Bars on stations that are operated by Select Service Partners also give the BITE discount on alcoholic drinks.

These can be found at:

Aberdeen - Hero
Belfast - ?
Birmingham New Street - The Shakespeare
Bristol Temple Meads - Bonapartes
Crewe - Hero
Derby - Hero
Dundee - Tay Bar
Edinburgh Waverley - Nor Loch
Glasgow Central - The Arrol
Glasgow Central - The Central Bar/Bonapartes
Glasgow Queen Street - Bonapartes
Inverness - Bertie's Bar
Leeds - The White Rose
Liverpool Lime Street - Coopers
London Bridge - Oast House
London Charing Cross - Boadicea
London Charing Cross - Bonapartes
London Euston - Britannia
London Fenchurch Street - The Fen
London Liverpool Street - The Wren
London Marylebone - Victoria & Albert
London Paddington - Sloe Bar
London Paddington - The Isambard
London Victoria - Bonapartes
London Victoria - Iron Duke
London Victoria - Mash Tun
London Waterloo - Sloe Bar
London Waterloo - The Wellesley
Manchester Piccadilly - Balcony Bar
Manchester Piccadilly - The Terrace
Manchester Victoria - The Metro Bar
Newcastle - Hero
Preston - Hero
York - Coopers

EDIT NOTE: This list may not be complete and locations may've changed names, moved or closed. SSP don't have an up to date list online; I had to look at their defunct 'Real Pubs on Stations' website using an internet archive, with the latest info from late 2010. As well as collating what I found there, I also looked at NRE(resolve)'s 'Stations Made Easy' maps.

'Stations Made Difficult (natch)' isn't that up to date either.  Lips sealed
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 19:27:33 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 12:40:32 »

Very worth knowing bignosemac - thanks for sharing the info. What is The Isambard like at Paddington? I usually go upstairs to the Fullers pub.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 13:56:53 »

The Isambard is just a nondescript unit on the concourse by the gate line for Platforms 10-14. I too prefer the Mad Bishop & Bear, or occasionally, if I want to people watch, I'll sit on the balcony of the Sloe Bar.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 14:23:32 »

I have tried signing up yet it will not accept my mobile number of any number I type in.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 18:34:47 »

The Isambard is just a nondescript unit on the concourse by the gate line for Platforms 10-14. I too prefer the Mad Bishop & Bear, or occasionally, if I want to people watch, I'll sit on the balcony of the Sloe Bar.

Big fan of the Mad Bishop. Nothing better than a glass of Fullers Golden Pride and then the 22:45 home!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 19:16:15 »

I have tried signing up yet it will not accept my mobile number of any number I type in.

Post I've seen on another forum suggest inputting 07000 000000 (try with or without the space). That was the suggestion from SSP to someone who was also having issues entering a mobile number.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 19:48:55 »

Odd: it accepted my T-Mobile number (without a space) no problem at all.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 04:23:34 »

Odd: it accepted my T-Mobile number (without a space) no problem at all.  Roll Eyes
And my Orange one (transferred from O2), also without spaces.

But I do like the idea of entering 070000...
Tiffy

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 09:16:00 »

Thanks Matt -much appreciated.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 09:32:28 »

Thanks for this. I was going to post this myself as my friend works for SSP and knowing how much Coffee I buy when travelling, sent me an email yesterday Smiley

The Waterloo Pub Beer Guide optionsm though are definitely wrong. The Sloe Bar closed whilst the station is being refurbished. Whether it'll come back or not, I'm not sure. There is a Bonapartes at Waterloo opposite(ish) to Platform 18

Although, personally, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a very small bar so you often don't get a seat especially on a Friday night and as a result people aimlessly stand around the bar making it very difficult to actually make the staff aware you'd like serving. The Coffee is AWFUL! It's worth the walk to Starbucks and handing over 2.50 to the Americans and know that if you're not happy with the coffee provided, they'll make it again for you or refund without any trouble (99% of the time anyway) Also, said pub has no Toilets either, so you'd be 30p out of pocket unless you fancy a 2 minute walk to the secret toilets that are free... but considered as CfN once put it "Hygienically Dodgy"

Also something you all might like to know... The BiTE card occasionally works in SSP Outlets in Airports but is very hit and miss, all depends on who is serving and if they know it exists. They have time restrictions on it's use though. But me being me, decided to ask the question when I was at Luton earlier this year. After all, If you don't ask... You don't get! I've used it at Birmingham and Cardiff Airports too Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: