Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
09:44 London Paddington to Hereford
11:10 Westbury to Frome
11:14 London Paddington to Oxford
11:25 Frome to Bristol Temple Meads
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
08:13 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
08:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
08:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
09:40 Westbury to Weymouth
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
10:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
08:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 10:01:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[101] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[60] access for all at Devon stations report
[26] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[23] Cornish delays
[8] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[3] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A modest proposal  (Read 2915 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:24:40 »

Dr Richard Wellings, Transport Director at the Institute of Economic Affairs, says:

^Phasing out taxpayer subsidies to uneconomic lines should be a key priority. Another important step would be to introduce more flexibility for train operators to tackle overcrowding without the need for expensive new track infrastructure, for example by providing more frequent services and extra rolling stock^

(see http://www.cityam.com/article/government-track-its-uneconomic-transport-policy)

How Wellings proposes to lay on extra trains ^without the need for expensive new track infrastructure^ is a moot point, but I think it^s fair to say that you could substitute the words ^Phasing out subsidies to^ with ^Closing^, as surely it would amount to the same thing.

The full article was reminiscent of a report published about 50 years ago by another ^Dr Richard^, but it set me thinking: has anyone ever thought of applying a similar approach to roads?

Here is my modest proposal:

According to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)^s statistics (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/road-lengths-statistics-in-great-britain-2011) motorways account for 1% of the road network and take 20% of the traffic, whereas the minor rural roads (at 54% of the road network) only account for 14% of traffic. Surely there can be no economic justification for retaining a network of this size?

Rural roads have developed over centuries without a coherent plan; there is duplication and inefficiency. Many villages have two or more roads leading into them, which is impossible to justify in economic terms. Rural roads use valuable agricultural land ^ if we were to close just half of them (6000 miles), it would free nearly 4000Ha of land.  Then there^s the roads maintenance budget; I can^t find the figures for this, but I estimate that in Somerset alone the savings could amount to as much as a pound per year.

Anyway it^s just a thought^

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
DavidBrown

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:38:35 »

The problem is that, unlike a railway, every single taxpayer-funded road is a public right of way. So you'd have two options;

- Get rid of those public rights of way, which would involve public consultations, legal costs, proposals for the alternative routes etc etc. What you would end up with is the cost of closing one road being the equivalent to keeping it open and maintained for many decades to come - unjustifiable.
- Keep the public rights of way open in the form of bridleways. But they'd need maintaining just as much - and possibly more than a little used country lane. Again, no cost savings to be had there.

What you also forget is that these lanes take up virtually noting of a council's road maintainence budget. The money goes to the A and B roads. Also, most of these roads carry utilities - even if it's just to individual houses. You can't plough a field that has water pipes underneath it, and I'm sure BT would have something to say about closing off all access to 95% of their infrastructure.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 12:23:52 »

The problem is that, unlike a railway, every single taxpayer-funded road is a public right of way. So you'd have two options;

- Get rid of those public rights of way, which would involve public consultations, legal costs, proposals for the alternative routes etc etc. What you would end up with is the cost of closing one road being the equivalent to keeping it open and maintained for many decades to come - unjustifiable.
- Keep the public rights of way open in the form of bridleways. But they'd need maintaining just as much - and possibly more than a little used country lane. Again, no cost savings to be had there.

What you also forget is that these lanes take up virtually noting of a council's road maintainence budget. The money goes to the A and B roads. Also, most of these roads carry utilities - even if it's just to individual houses. You can't plough a field that has water pipes underneath it, and I'm sure BT would have something to say about closing off all access to 95% of their infrastructure.

My proposal was a reductio ad absurdum argument.

Of course it would be daft to shut down half the rural roads network, and of course it would hardly save any money (hence my suggestion that Somerset alone might save up to a pound a year on its budget). But the Marples/Castle axe didn't save very much either, and left BR (British Rail(ways)) with a huge ongoing maintenance bill for redundant assets.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:38:47 »

Dr Richard Wellings, Transport Director at the Institute of Economic Affairs, says:

I suspect he's being a serial shock-jock journalist ...

Fortunately, there is much that can be done quickly to make roads more efficient. The first step is to stop making it even more dysfunctional. Funding for anti-car schemes that reduce capacity or increase delays should be halted. Many bus lanes could be returned to general use, for example. The government should also increase speed limits. Raising the 40 miles per house limit for heavy goods vehicles on single carriageway roads should be the top priority. As well as boosting productivity, this would improve safety by reducing overtaking.

Ideally, ownership of much of the [road] network would eventually be transferred to the private sector, perhaps partly through a stockmarket flotation of the motorways and trunk roads. The proceeds ^ together with the boost to general revenues from higher efficiency ^ could be used to reduce or even abolish fuel duty.

and I think he makes good use of lies, damned lies and statistics:

The railways are a classic example of a politically distorted market. There is huge variation in the level of subsidy to different parts of the network. London commuter routes generally receive little funding from government, in marked contrast to rural provincial routes that are almost entirely dependent on handouts. This system means passengers on more profitable lines (including in and around London) may end up cross-subsidising those on loss-making ones.

Very curious view that - considering that public transport subsidy in London per head of population is twice what it is anywhere else in the country ...

There IS sense in making off-peak use of roads. There IS sense (one he hasn't mentioned) in looking for ways to increase seat occupancy across all transport modes.   Typical car - 5 seats; typical load - 1 driver + 0 passengers (I've done a few little surveys, peak hour in various places across my travels, and never exceeded 33% of car seats occupied).  But privatising the roads to increase innovation and reduce costs - has that worked well for the railways - I think he argues not.   And there is sense in encouraging off peak (true off peak, which involves better alignment of peak use to peak ticket prices - a farce at the moment) use of trains.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 17:45:00 »

I'm going to open the proverbial tin of worms here...

Richard Wellings mentions removing bus lanes and returning them to general use. I take it he's never sat on a Bus such as the 173 into Bath during Rush hour?

I have, multiple times. It's a nightmare. Without the bus lanes, the bus operator whether privatised or not would not be able to keep a consistent timetable. I was looking at the new timetable for the A4 Bath - Bristol Airport Service a few weeks ago. The timings throughout the day from what I could see were exactly the same... Why? Because the timetable has huge amounts of slack in it. I caught the bus to the airport at around 4AM a few weeks ago and it stopped to wait for Right Time departure around 5 times. A journey that took around 90 minutes could have been done in 70 or less. However the clock face timetable makes up for it I guess.

Now what about those people that cannot drive? (I'm one of them). This is one of the things I hate about the Government. They seem to be cutting subsidies for public transport. Yet if those buses/trains/trams etc don't run. People who can't drive will not be able to get to work. Indeed if I were to lose the 234 or 267 routes in Frome. I would not be able to continue running my business as the Taxi costs would cause me to run at a loss. It's hard enough relying on transport that has no guarantee of turning up and then having no reimbursement from the operator if it doesn't.

Several young people in Frome have been offered jobs outside of Frome but cannot afford the public transport, cannot afford their own car so they have to turn jobs down and continue their JSA claim. There was a particular case where someone could just about commute to Shepton Mallet by bus. However on learning of the proposed changes to the 161 they turned the job down based on the time it would take there and back.

Also with regards to the fares on the 267. We have the Following prices:

First: Single or Return ^6.60

Faresaver: Single: ^5.80 Return: ^6.80 (Possibly, Scott can you help?)

Shaftesbury and District X80: Single: ^3.40 Unsure of return price.

That X80 service runs twice return every Saturday and can take me to back on ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) or for ^3.40 Yet how does that come into account for the other operators charging nearly double?

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 18:33:49 »

I suspect he's being a serial shock-jock journalist ...

He's not a journalist, and I'm pretty sure he believes what he says. He cropped up on 'Beeching Night' arguing against rail investment; I don't think he'd be offended if I were to characterise him as a neo-Beechingite (or perhaps a neo-Serpellite).

Several young people in Frome have been offered jobs outside of Frome but cannot afford the public transport, cannot afford their own car so they have to turn jobs down and continue their JSA claim. There was a particular case where someone could just about commute to Shepton Mallet by bus. However on learning of the proposed changes to the 161 they turned the job down based on the time it would take there and back.

I used to think that the idea of re-opening the B&NS was a pipe dream, and maybe it is - but I do feel there is a better case for the B&NS than there could ever be for the 'top half' of the S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway). I reckon the journey time to Bristol (where, in general, jobs can be had) from Frome via the B&NS ought to be around 30-35 mins, and the fare should be about a tenner. That would take a lump out of your pay if you were on minimum wage, but I suspect a lot of people would take that on the chin to gain experience...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: