23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:34 Reading to Basingstoke
02/05/24 00:05 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 00:13:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Bumper Christmas 2013 Prize Picture Quiz - after closing date, open to all!  (Read 15748 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2013, 16:48:06 »

A prize quiz running through until 2359 Sunday 15th December 2013. Free to enter. Please read the rules carefully before submitting your entry.

There are 20 picture sequence clues to identify, each cryptically giving the name of a heavy rail station in Great Britain. In addition there are 5 straightforward images from National Rail stations to identify.

You'll not be able to retire on the prizes but please do enter. First prize is a ^20 one4all^ Gift Card. Two runners-up will each receive a ^10 one4all^ Gift Card. These Gift Cards can be used in many UK (United Kingdom) High Street retailers as well as with selected online retailers. Full details on the one4all^ Gift Cards website.

Winners will be announced on Monday 16th December, with prizes being sent out later the same week. Prizes will be sent by Royal Mail 1st Class Recorded Signed For^ and should arrive before Christmas, although this can not be guaranteed.

The topic is locked and answers can only be submitted as per the rules below.

Should you have any problem viewing the images on the forum, the entire set can be seen as a slideshow at the following link:
http://s598.photobucket.com/user/bignosemac/slideshow/Prize%20Picture%20Quiz%20Christmas%202013

Please note: It may not be possible to view the images on some devices or on some public WiFi networks.

Good luck!

Rules:

Entry: One entry per person. Multiple entries will be excluded. All entries must be submitted to bignosemac by Personal Message (PM). Entries submitted to other forum moderators or administrators will not be accepted. Please title your Personal Message (PM) "Christmas 2013 Prize Picture Quiz", then list your answers 1-25. Personal Messages (PM) can be sent by clicking on the speech bubble icon below bignosemac's profile picture or by using the forum's 'My Messages' button. Your entry will be acknowledged by bignosemac by return PM.

Closing Date: The last date for entries will be 11:59pm Sunday 15th December 2013. Entries after that time will not be accepted.

Eligibilty: The quiz is open to all registered members of the Great Western Passenger's Forum (aka Coffee Shop). The forum's Administrators and Moderators are not eligible to enter.

Answers: Images 1-20 are picture sequence clues to UK heavy rail station locations. Images 21-25 are straightforward station locations. Stations must be named in full (i.e. Bristol would not be an acceptable answer when the clue/image is of Bristol Parkway).

Winning Entry and Runners Up: The winning entry and runners up will be the ones having the most correct answers. A list of correct answers will be provided to the forum's Administrator/Moderator team prior to the closing date. In the event of any ties, the tied entries will each be assigned a number by bignosemac, and an Administrator will pick one of those numbers at random. The Administrator will not be informed of the forum name or avatar of the tied entries. More than one random draw may be required to decide the winner and runners up. Following completion of the quiz the list of correct answers and the forum names of the winner and runners up will be posted on the prize quiz thread.

Prizes: First prize will be a ^20 one4all^ Gift Card. There are two runners up prizes of a ^10 one4all^ Gift Card. The winner and runners up will be required to provide address details to bignosemac and the prizes will be forwarded by Recorded Signed For^ Royal Mail delivery. Prizes will be sent before the last posting date for Christmas 2013. Receipt of prizes should be before Christmas 2013 but this can not be guaranteed, so please allow up to 28 days for delivery. Address details supplied will not be published or stored and there is no requirement to provide your real name.

General: Outside of entry to the quiz and awarding of the prizes, no correspondence will be entered into. The decisions of the Moderators and Administrators of this forum will be final. These General Terms and the Specific Rules shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law and any dispute arising out of or in connection with them shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:02:33 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 18:27:29 »

Picture Sequence Clues 1-20:

1. Stewartby. Answered by DavidBrown

(Jackie) Stewart, Bee

3. Felixstowe, answered by stuving

Felix (pet food cat), Stowe (Corner, at Silverstone Circuit)

4. Lympstone Village, answered by stuving

Limp, Stone, (The) Village (from 60's TV show The Prisoner)

5.Moses Gate, answered by eightf48544

Self explanatory, I think!

6.Ladybank, answered by grahame, stuving & the trout

I think this one is self explanatory!

8. Boxhill & Westhumble. Answered by grahame

Box(ing), (Jimmy) Hill, &, (Timothy) West, (Kate) Humble

10.Helmsdale, answered by stuving

(2x) Helm, Dale (Winton)

15.Eccles Road, answered by thetrout

Eccles (cake), Road

16. Barton-on-Humber. Answered by DavidBrown

(Pictures of Joey) Barton on a Humber (car marque)

18.Heathrow Terminal 5, answered by Mookiemoo

(A row of Ted) Heath(s), (battery) Terminal, (boy band) Five

19.Petersfield, answered by steves

Peters (Capaldi, Andre, Davison), (Baseball) field

20.Bishop Auckland, answered by grahame

(John) Bishop, Auk, (a plane coming in to) land

Location pictures 21-25:

21.Shrewsbury, answered by Mookiemoo

24. Milton Keynes Central, answered by steves

25. Avonmouth. Answered by grahame
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 19:02:25 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 00:25:26 »

Thanks very much for posting that quiz, bignosemac!  Grin

There are some real corkers in there - good luck to everyone who wants to enter!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 23:13:00 »

It's been brought to my attention that it may not be possible to view the images when connected to some public WiFi networks. Many photo hosting sites are blocked by public WiFi connections, ostensibly to protect against objectionable material. There's no simple solution to beat these filters, which can be over-zealous at times, so it's best if you view the prize quiz from your home connection. 

Take the time, over your beverage of choice, to mull over your answers from the comfort of your own home.  Grin

Good luck!

bignosemac.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:03:54 »

Still plenty of time to have a go. Say what you see. (Well, for 1-20  Wink)

Go on... you never know, you might win a prize!  Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 01:35:00 »

I've made a slight change to the prizes. High Street Vouchers could only be ordered online and secure insured postage would've added to the cost in having them delivered to me. Rather than pay twice to have the vouchers delivered to me, and then on to the winning entrants, I've instead opted for one4all Gift Cards which I was able to purchase over the counter in the Post Office. Prize amounts remain the same (^20 1st prize and 2x ^10 runners up prizes) and one4all Gift Cards are accepted by hundreds of UK (United Kingdom) retailers. Prizes will still be sent to winning entrants, under plain cover, by Royal Mail Recorded Signed For.

Still plenty of time to get your entry in!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 01:57:15 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 21:35:04 »

*Bump*

Twelve days to go to get your entry in.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 22:44:22 »

If you look back through the archives you'll see I used to do rather well in these quizzes.  Well now I am banned from entering, but it is still fun trying to work out where the last few photos come from and trying to crack the clues for the station names at the start of the quiz.

Give it a go - you will find it addictive.  Having deciphered one or two, you'll suddenly find you have got half a dozen and so it goes on.  It is a bit of fun, and you could win a prize.  This isn't use it or lose it - you have nothing to lose and you could win a prize!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 17:50:19 »

I understand from bignosemac that entries are trickling in: there's still plenty of time, but just to remind you, the deadline for submission is this SundayWink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 03:13:34 »

... and, as time is now running out, I'm posting here one more time - just to remind you that you do need to send your entry in to bignosemac by PM (personal message) very soon now!  Wink

Good luck to everyone who enters this prize quiz!  (Obviously, "other quiz competitions are available" - but they aren't quite as fiendish as this one!)  Grin

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 13:36:40 »

Another reminder that you've only got until 2359 tonight (15th December 2013) to get your entries into bignosemac by personal message.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 14:16:28 »

The prize quiz is now complete and the winner and runner-up have been notified.

Thanks to those who took part. Postbag was quite small for this one, so those that didn't enter may well have missed out on a prize. Due to the small number of entries it's unlikely that I'll run another prize quiz (at least not in this format). In future I'll stick to 'just for fun'.

Thread is now unlocked for feedback.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 14:17:03 »

Rather than list the answers just yet, I'm throwing it open as a 'just for fun'.

Please just two guesses each for the first 24 hours.

I'll then list the correct answers next to the pictures as they come in.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 15:02:19 »

Boxhill and Westhumble ( 8 )
Avonmouth ( 25 )

Many thanks for running the quiz, BNM ... I'm banned from taking part while there's a prize but I can have a go now!

Edit to add spaces around the "8" which came out  as (Cool originally!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 16:03:36 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 16:14:32 »

OK then -
3. Felixstowe
4. Lympstone Village
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: