22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 13:20:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[144] access for all at Devon stations report
[62] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[38] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[7] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Disruption on Monday 23 and Tuesday 24 December 2013  (Read 41133 times)
insider

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2013, 16:36:19 »

Severe Disruption is expected across majority of Rail Network due to weather forecast of high - gale force winds.

As a result the Western Region have already advised TOC (Train Operating Company)'s of the following:

the following 50mph blanket speeds will be imposed:-
Exeter - Plymouth including Paignton - 1500-2100.
Paddington - Thingley Jcn / Castle Cary via B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) / Heyford / Thingley Jcn - Westbury via Melksham 1600-2200.

I understand from a friend at the ICCW that FGW (First Great Western) are planning to run a reduced service tomorrow afternoon and details will be posted to relevant websites ASAP.

National Rail already have some info posted http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/65932.aspx
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 16:41:27 »

While the winds will no doubt be a problem, the more lasting difficulty could be the 40 to 60 mm of rain forecast over much of the South West...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 17:33:16 »

Any advance warning of problems for my journey tomorrow - Bristol TM(resolve)-Taunton at 1644 - will be greatly appreciated.

If the rail network falls down then I'm going to be on the buses earlier in the day via Wells. And that may also be problematical seeing as the second bus I need travels across the Somerset Levels.  Roll Eyes

Added to that, I have to decide whether to buy a full price rail ticket, having lost my railcard, or chance my arm with the buses.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 17:55:33 »

It seemed such a good idea at the time... got a collection of cheap advance tickets tomorrow to go from Newton Abbot to Penzance, up on the sleeper and then from Paddington to Swindon....  (oh and after a half day in the office back down to Newton Abbot....)

Might be just a touch problematical.... Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 18:19:52 »

For once, I'm glad I'm not travelling.

Now, please!
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 18:33:54 »

Travelling up to London on the 24th departing Truro at 06.18. More than a little concerned about disruption given the forecast for tomorrow, and that the rain will continue through the night.

My question: in the event of rail replacement between Exeter St David's and Tiverton/Taunton, is it likely that my FGW (First Great Western) advance ticket will be valid on South West Trains to Waterloo?*

*Assuming no landslips etc on this line, too
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 19:51:20 »

Crosscountry in anticipation, are carrying tickets for 22nd, 23rd AND 24th December on any services today. I know that probably does not help much but at least it is forward thinking. Not sure whether First are doing the same. Bignosemac has picked a 'choice' train tomorrow. Always full between Bristol and Exeter with commuters.....and if it is 4 coach train that 'really will be cosy'! Lol

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 20:01:42 »

Grim news - looks like being the second year running that people's travel plans will be thrown into chaos by the transport systems inability to cope with rough weather, no doubt some will be stranded....it's all very well telling people to travel today rather than tomorrow, but a lot of people have to work.

I hope that since the last disaster in areas such as Cowley Bridge, NR» (Network Rail - home page) and the TOCs (Train Operating Company) will have used the last year to make their services and contingency planning more robust.

Thankfully I don't have a long trip this year, but still have to get to work.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 21:44:21 »

FGW (First Great Western) have lifted Advance ticket restrictions for journeys after 12 noon tomorrow due to the anticipated bad weather thus allowing passengers to travel on earlier trains and minimise delays caused by speed limits.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 21:58:43 »

Travelling up to London on the 24th departing Truro at 06.18. More than a little concerned about disruption given the forecast for tomorrow, and that the rain will continue through the night.

My question: in the event of rail replacement between Exeter St David's and Tiverton/Taunton, is it likely that my FGW (First Great Western) advance ticket will be valid on South West Trains to Waterloo?*

*Assuming no landslips etc on this line, too
Last year SWT (South West Trains) were accepting FGW ticket holders into Waterloo and they strengthened their services too.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 22:12:57 »

FGW (First Great Western) have lifted Advance ticket restrictions for journeys after 12 noon tomorrow due to the anticipated bad weather thus allowing passengers to travel on earlier trains and minimise delays caused by speed limits.

I don't think this has been officially published yet.  FGW are planning an announcement Monday morning. 
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 22:20:12 »

I was told by customer services when I phoned them.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 22:25:32 »

I was told by customer services when I phoned them.

Just seen that message confirmed on Twitter!

https://twitter.com/FGW/status/414865904565256193
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 07:26:31 »

The lifting of restrictions now confirmed on the front page of the FGW (First Great Western) website.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 07:51:43 »

Bringing my journey forward to around midday in the hope that I dodge any disruption. Does mean going out now to finish off the Christmas shopping, rather than mid-morning as planned.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: