Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
15:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:48 London Paddington to Swansea
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 17:35:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: People not happy with disappearing "via Melksham" fare  (Read 1556 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 09, 2014, 12:06:53 »

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/10925133._/?

A computer glitch that increased train fares a month after a much-heralded expanded rail service was introduced has caused anger this week.

The Gazette's sister paper, the Wiltshire Times, has been contacted by commuters who had to pay the full fare on the new TransWilts line from Westbury to Swindon yesterday, despite assurances it would be available at a reduced rate.

When the number of trains on the cross-county service was expanded on December 9 provision was made for reduced fares for trains via Melksham, rather than Bath, but a national computer error this week has removed this discount.

One passenger who got in touch said: ^After all the recent news articles published about how great the new TransWilts train service between Westbury and Swindon is, and about how a ticket via Melksham is cheaper, it was disappointing to have to pay the full fare.

^Most disappointing was a passenger who was trying the train as alternative to the car for the first time. When faced with having to pay double the amount for his ticket than when he checked the previous night he was obviously annoyed and plans 'never to attempt to use trains again'.^

etc

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 00:36:27 »

Hmm, that is indeed very disappointing.  Shocked

However - please do read that linked news article from 'thisiswiltshire' and the subsequent update comment which gives an explanation of what, unfortunately, happened.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 02:21:06 »

Can we blame George Osborne?

Actually. Scrap that question. Let's just blame George Osborne. Although, in fairness, his late announcement did see regulated rail fares rise by 'only' 2.8% on average, rather than 3.8%. Crumbs? Small mercies?

Just a shame that the late announcement caused all sorts of headaches for the rail industry who were already deep into the process of updating fares databases ready for January 2nd 2014. The 'via Melksham' fares were added ready for the start of the improved TransWilts services on 8th December 2013, but got lost in the full fares database update for 2nd January 2014.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 07:18:39 »

Can we blame George Osborne?

No-one is "blaming" George Osborne - merely saying what has happened. It's fairer to say that the fare update system in place failed to cope with an 'unexpected' last minute amendment from the Government.  With 'unexpected' in quotes as it''s not the first time that government has made last minute algorithm changes like this.

I'm relieved the change is a permanent one to fares; rather taken aback when it initially came in (but very happy / not sure if I would have gone quite so low).  And I'm relieved that it's not a systemic problem that would be hard to fix (such as an ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) objection in some way from another company that takes a share of Westbury - Trowbridge or the old / not quite so popular now Trowbridge - Chippenham via Bath Spa flow).

I am disappointed at the requests to buy the permanently lowered priced tickets were met with "not available - you have to pay more" - from both staff on the ground, and from twitter @FGW (First Great Western).   That's put a number of people off, some perhaps permanently and every permanent loss is also an anti-ambassador who may continue to badmouth the service. It took me until my 3rd attempt to get anyone to look at this, and then only when I challenged the original answer and did a bit of "name dropping" - 'as launched last month by Duncan Hames MP (Member of Parliament)'.  Even then, look initially slow - "I will look into it and let you know" - and that has just been answered after just under 48 hours.  In the end I pressed what I might describe as my "emergency button" with customer complaints, press, and indeed a stop on our marking material which talks of the lower price.

And I am happy - though waiting to see if it works - at the work around / staff instructed to manually put in the price.   

Not totally bad news - a mistake is seen to be acted on and worked around when it comes to light, and the featured "via Melksham" fares are shown to be (a) something that's here for good and (b) something that can make a very real difference to travel costs / methods / plans.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 22:56:28 »

From the Wiltshire Times:

Pricing glitch fixed on TransWilts line

Graham Ellis and Duncan Hames MP (Member of Parliament) at the launch of the new TransWilts line

Discounted prices are once more available on the TransWilts rail line from Westbury to Swindon, after a computer glitch meant commuters were over-charged.

Passengers travelling via Melksham last week were angry to be charged an additional fare, but rail operator First Great Western has now corrected the fault. Anyone travelling on the route will now be charged the correct amount for tickets, with refunds available for anyone who was inconvenienced.

Rail campaigner Graham Ellis, from the TransWilts Community Partnership, said: ^The correct fares are now back online and for sale at ticket offices and on trains. National Rail, the Department for Transport and First Great Western have all worked with unprecedented speed to get this sorted out quickly.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 06:54:05 »

Thanks for your ongoing help with this, Ollie ... looks like we may not be fully there on the FGW (First Great Western) site.   I was relieved to see it back in the Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) machine last night; need to double check TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) and Station booking offices to assure myself what I say to the press is reasonably accurate.   I am slightly surprised that the pricings offered aren't from a (totally) common database and that different web sites seem to need different data updates. As of 06:30 this morning, I'm getting a lowest fare of 14:30 from Trowbridge to Swindon still ... Undecided may put people off seeing that, but I don't imagine that a high proportion of people book day returns on line for station pickup or postal delivery.   Still a serious thing that needs fixing a.s.a.p (and I have a "by Monday" assurance from one of our high level contacts, from Tuesday / Wednesday of this week, which also said it might be much earlier; Ollie's in touch with her - 'sitting in same office').   

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 10:41:01 »

I am pleased to be able to say that the Via Melksham fares are now in on the FGW (First Great Western) site.

I've only checked a couple journeys, so if anyone does spot other issues please do let me know.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 11:28:04 »

Planning to go to Trowbridge tomorrow for the WWRUG» (West Wiltshire Rail Users Group - about) talk by Dan Okey.

It seems I can get the ^7.00 Off Peak Day return fare on the 18:50 from Swindon to Trowbridge, but that is only valid to return on a train leaving Trowbridge 13 minutes after I arrive!

As all the following services involve going via Bath I will have to get the ^14.30 Any Permitted ticket.  The fares system is complicated enough I know but I suppose there is no scope for an evening easement as it would make the journey from Trowbridge (via Bath) to Swindon cheaper than Bath to Swindon (not that that is without precedent).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 12:20:52 »

You needn't pay the full 'Any Permitted' fare. There is an excess fare procedure in place to allow travel out by one route and return by another.

A 'Change of Route' excess for a change in one direction only is calculated at half the difference between the different routed fares. The Off Peak Day Return, Swindon to Trowbridge 'via Melksham', is ^7.00. The 'Any Permitted' fare is ^14.30. Half the difference is ^3.65, giving a total of ^10.65.

If at all possible it is best to get the excess before travel at a staffed station, although it can be purchased on board via the Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) TIS(resolve). Buying on board though is at the mercy of having a guard who knows how to issue excess fares.

'Change of Route' excesses can be purchased on board trains, when already on the alternative route, without penalty, as they are a right codified in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage condition 13(e).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 18:13:13 »

A 'Change of Route' excess for a change in one direction only is calculated at half the difference between the different routed fares. The Off Peak Day Return, Swindon to Trowbridge 'via Melksham', is ^7.00. The 'Any Permitted' fare is ^14.30. Half the difference is ^3.65, giving a total of ^10.65.

Oh my gawd ... I am just imagining lots of people doing this on a regular basis ...

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 09:46:59 »

Just a postscript I was able to buy the ticket with the change of route excess with no problem before my journey last night.  Didn't even have to explain what I wanted - the ticket clerk knew straightaway!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: