Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:35:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Step Free on the TransWilts  (Read 1196 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2014, 18:17:24 »

I've had the idea that as part of the TWCRP» (TransWilts Community Rail Partnership - about) that we should also suggest ways for those who are 'less able bodied' to use the TransWilts Service for making a journey.

As an Example: Melksham - Bath Spa or Bristol Temple Meads. Step free via Chippenham as it's the opposite platform. However if you were to go via Trowbridge the step free access is somewhat less than ideal and features a lengthy walk and even then parts are not exactly level ground...! Roll Eyes

In this case would be perhaps worth lobbying for permission to double back via Westbury if you're starting your journey at Melksham? Considering Westbury has both Lifts, Customer Facing Staff, Waiting room, Cafe and Toilets it seems that it is not an unreasonable ask?

Discuss Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 20:09:32 »

It is a very sensible idea - and one I had not thought of.

I'd just like to see the previous via Melksham fares restored (which it seems they are) before we "muddy the waters".
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 20:57:56 »

Interestingly, on quite a number of occasions I have been offered Melksham to Manchester (and other places around there) tickets with a change at Westbury rather than Trowbridge, even though my understanding of the routing system is that it's not allowed to double back like that. Of course, I can't find an example tonight

I'm also mindful that a wheelchair journey south to Maiden Newton has been completed in the past by staying on the train all the way to Weymouth and back, so that the person ends up at the northbound platform that has a level exit.

On DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) terms, the supplier is under an obligation to make every reasonable attempt to provide a product that's the same (or better) that the product that would be provided to an able bodied person, or if that's not practical comes as close as possible - my understanding, I'm not a lawyer - and if my understanding is right, the it could be argued that such double back allowance is not only sensible but also required in such cases.

Chippenham is a very interesting case.   Excellent interchange for wheelchairs, but a very sore hot potato at the moment about wheelchair access from outside the station to trains.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 21:11:48 »

Chippenham is a very interesting case.   Excellent interchange for wheelchairs, but a very sore hot potato at the moment about wheelchair access from outside the station to trains.

Aren''t they supposed to be building a new footbridge to replace the eyesore at the country end to enable step free access?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 21:15:48 »

Aren''t they supposed to be building a new footbridge to replace the eyesore at the country end to enable step free access?

Yes, but there have been delays and I think objections because it's in the enviors of a listed building (the station).  I'm not fully up to date.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 19:55:02 »

I think the questions here regarding doubling back at Westbury have been unknowingly answered by myself in another thread, see this post onwards: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=13469.msg146561#msg146561
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 17:59:08 »

I think Brucey is right here in explaining about the Routing Points.

For a different area I have found Easement Number: 700372 for GreaterAnglia services on the Shenfield line which has this explanation:

Quote from: ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) Routeing Guide Easements List as of 23/12/2013
Customers travelling from Brentwood via Gidea Park in possession of tickets routed "Any Permitted" may travel via Shenfield. They may not leave the station. This easement applies in both directions.

I think prevention of leaving the station is a reasonable clause also. Shenfield is a staffed station, has a Pumpkin, Toilets and Waiting Rooms.

That being said I have broken the journey at Shenfield on a London Termini - Southend Victoria ticket to pop across the road to an excellent chip shop immediately opposite the station without any trouble at all.

In my opinion the clause is there to prevent those travelling to Shenfield buying a ticket as far as Brentwood (cheaper fare) but travelling onto Shenfield and leaving the station. If you were to take a direct Brentwood - London Liverpool Street it would take forever as it stops at every station on the route. The stock, Class 315s are the most awful things to sit on at the best of times. But from Shenfield - London Liverpool Street. No thank you!

Most trains from Shenfield - London Liverpool Street are next call Stratford or London Liverpool Street so the added easement is a good offering by the TOC (Train Operating Company) as it substantially reduces the journey time involved and probably helps ease crowding on services. The trains are also much nicer being Class 321 or Class 360 which have Toilets and First Class Seating.

I don't think we are arguing that the reason for the double back is to break the journey and to avoid paying a higher fare in this case despite my ramblings. But for those with heavy luggage, those with travel needs, wheelchairs, poor mobility etc it is a completely reasonable suggestion which may even be valid already. It would be worth having some official statement from FGW (First Great Western) on this.

Here is the map of the current Trowbridge Walk... Google Maps suggest it's just short of 400 metres. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview?hl=en#!data=!4m36!3m27!1m4!3m2!3d51.3202809!4d-2.2140779!6e2!1m4!3m2!3d51.3196309!4d-2.2142879!6e2!2e2!3m8!1m3!1d1403!2d-2.2138042!3d51.3199089!3m2!1i663!2i432!4f13.1!6m2!1m1!1e4!7e0!8m2!1e1!2b1!5m2!13m1!1e4!7m4!11m3!1m1!1e4!2b1!6m1!1e1&fid=0i1

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 23:57:11 »

From the Gazette & Herald:

Disability access to arrive at Chippenham rail station

Chippenham Railway Station will become more accessible with a new footbridge and lift. Picture by Diane Vose

Rail access campaigners are delighted work is scheduled to start on a new footbridge and lift at Chippenham Station on Saturday.

People with reduced mobility and those using pushchairs have been waiting years for promised easier access to railway platforms in the town. Network Rail says it will be provided by spring 2015.

For the first time people will have a step-free route from the station^s main entrance to the platforms without any need for staff assistance.

Wiltshire Council planners gave Network Rail permission one year ago to replace the footbridge that crosses the railway at the west end, and put in two lifts giving access to platforms from the Cocklebury Road side.

Maureen Lloyd, of the Community Access to Rail Travel group, said: ^It is just wonderful, I shall be on cloud nine from here on in. I was beginning to think it was never going to happen. Sue Houlihan and I were champing at the bit making a nuisance of ourselves. There is a large number of people who cannot use the station.

^A lady in Chippenham I spoke to this week, who has arthritic knees, said she hasn^t used a train for 23 years. She always gets off at Bath and takes the bus from there because she doesn^t want to be embarrassed having to ask for help.^

Work was expected to start in August but First Great Western said: ^The delayed start is as a result of a delay in finalising the detailed design, which had to be sympathetically undertaken as a result of the listed station status.^

The ^2.98m project has been partly funded through the Department for Transport^s Access for All scheme.

Joanna Grew, Network Rail^s project sponsor for the scheme, said: ^We are working closely with First Great Western to make sure that this work is completed with minimal disruption to passengers and that a normal train service continues to operate throughout.^

Network Rail said it does not have funding for a lift on the Homebase side but hopes third party funding will become available in the future. The station footbridge at the east end will not be changed.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: