17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 17:23:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[91] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you agree that London-Plymouth via Okehampton would involve a journey time nearer to 4 hours?  (Voting closed: March 10, 2014, 11:37:47)
Yes - 9 (22%)
No - 20 (48.8%)
Dont Know - 11 (26.8%)
Dont Care - 1 (2.4%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll - London-Plymouth via Okehampton Journey Time  (Read 8907 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2014, 11:37:47 »

At the TravelWatch SouthWest meeting on Saturday March 1st 2014, Patrick Hallgate of Network Rail asserted that the London-Plymouth via Okehampton journey time would be nearer 4 hours, in the context of a lively debate surrounding the Plymouth area aspiration for a 3-hour journey time to London. Do you agree with him?

Some forum posts that you may wish to study before casting your vote can be found here (page 13, reply #192 onwards at time of posting poll).

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 12:33:13 »

You need to be aware that he failed to give any assurance that the avoiding line would be built to mainline standards and could be constructed for 50mph running....I think his comments reflected this.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 12:42:18 »

You need to be aware that he failed to give any assurance that the avoiding line would be built to mainline standards and could be constructed for 50mph running....I think his comments reflected this.

I was just writing on the same lines, Chris ...

Perhaps much of the answer to "how long to Plymouth via Okehampton" would lie in an answer to the question "what level would you engineer the line to"? Taking a single track from the current line end to Tavistock / Bere Alston, perhaps with a passing loop halfway engineered and signalled in the same way as the loop at Eggesford would give you, I suspect, a longer journey time answer but a much lower price tag than alternative options involving stetches of double track / doubling with high speed turnouts from any single sections and signalling appropriate for the possible speeds.  Do we know from what has been said (or not) which end of the spectrum is being reported on, or indeed can we guess based on some of the comments such as running time estimates?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 13:33:05 »

That's a very valid debate to have, and more than happy to have it run alongside the poll.

Returning to the poll itself, my aim is to find out whether there is a general consensus in two key respects:

1) To find out whether there is a general consensus among those voting either "Yes" or "No" towards one answer or the other.

2) To find out whether there is a general consensus among the forum membership as a whole towards one particular answer.

With this in mind, I would be very grateful if all members active over the coming week could strongly consider casting a vote of some description, even if it's a "Dont Know" or "Dont Care" one.

This would be very much appreciated.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 14:40:36 »

Grahame is spot on! Much depends on the level of engineering and the type of train (local/non-stop etc) you are dealing with!

Delving back in time a 'Warship' Class diesel took an Ian Allan excursion back from Plymouth to London Waterloo in 1966. Including a brief (unexpected) stop at Keyham, a long crawl over Meldon Viaduct (15mph) and at Coleford Junction (15mph) and Cowley Bridge (5mph) time to Exeter St Davids (pass) was 1hr 22m approx. Non-stop to Waterloo occupied another 2hr 32m although some other speed restrictions were encountered.

Net times from Plymouth to Waterloo quoted as 3hr 38m and Exeter Central to Waterloo as 2hr 23m. So Plymouth to Exeter St Davids would be 1hr 13m approx. Not a vast amount of difference to that being experienced at that time on the route via Newton Abbot - the down part of the same excursion (behind a more powerful 'Western' diesel) took 59m or so between Exeter and Plymouth (pass to pass).
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 17:07:19 »

More negativity from Network Rail, they really don't want a new line, do they?

He appears to be claiming that Exe - Oke - Ply would take about 1hr 40 mins - 2hrs. Yet a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) can do the 40 miles from Exeter to Barnstaple in an hour, including multiple stops, having to raise the barriers at Eggesford etc.

There is even a stretch of the Dartmoor Railway laid to 125mph standards, as a training exercise several years ago. Amazing what can be done when the will is there, eh?
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 18:04:35 »

Yes I too detect NR» (Network Rail - home page), whose 'Movers & Shakers' are remote in all senses to the far South West, are desperate not to take on any more projects..they can hardly cope at the moment..so much so on the Western that is why, apparently, DCC» (Devon County Council - website) are (unusually) in the lead (to save further delay) on letting the contracts for construction of new stations at Cranbrook & Newcourt (planned to open end of this year) and then Marsh Barton.
It is also known that it is DCC now acquiring the trackbed, prior to relaying, from Bere Alston to Tavistock.

Perhaps the Americans, or even the Scottish Govt.,would like to invest/re-instate the Meldon-Tavistock line as an indication of the urgency of the situation which causes Plymouth ..the 8th largest City in the UK (United Kingdom) ( I think), to be at the mercy of a hotchpotch rail replacement bus route ?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 18:18:23 »

Distance wise the Okehampton route is only. 4 miles further than Dawlish route. All depends on whether they do a proper job, or a bridge job.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 20:34:59 »

I have voted.  Lips sealed

Yes, I do agree with Patrick Hallgate of Network Rail, in the context of what he was rather pushed into stating at the TravelWatch SouthWest meeting in Taunton last Saturday.

Firstly, his comments were based on the proposal that any London - Plymouth via Okehampton line would be 'an additional line' rather than 'an alternative line' to the current main line through Dawlish.  The crucial difference is that any such 'additional line' would not necessarily be built to dual mainline specifications, or standards, or timings - so any subsequent debate on those assumptions clearly falls away.

Secondly, I strongly refute the suggestion that there was any 'negativity' from Network Rail at that meeting.  Patrick Hallgate was very positive about the need to keep options open for the future - while his current priority is, quite understandably, the need to re-open the Dawlish main line as soon as possible, he was very open to the ideas of 'additional' (not 'alternative') routes in south Devon.

During his presentation, Patrick Hallgate actually said that a reinstated route from Exeter to Okehampton and Plymouth could take up to an hour, not "1 hour 40 minutes to 2 hours".  I was there, and I listened to what he said.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 21:09:37 »

There's another elephant in the room regarding Network Rail and whether there will be funding for such capital projects, here in the South West, or elsewhere. That elephant is the massive debt that Network Rail is carrying, currently around ^30bn, which will move onto UK (United Kingdom) PLCs balance sheet later this year. At the moment Network Rail is a not for dividend private company limited by guarantee. Later this year it is due to become a public sector body.

I fear that it's going to be a lot harder to justify capital expenditure in future Control Periods, for various projects not already funded, when the dead hand of the Treasury is much more in control of Network Rail's budget. Once taxpayers become more aware just how much public money is going to Network Rail there will be, I predict, some serious political fallout.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 21:27:50 »

In the meantime: there was one rather 'off the wall' Tongue item of expenditure that Network Rail have already offered to those most closely affected at Dawlish - and which gained Patrick Hallgate a round of applause from a generally appreciative audience at TravelWatch SouthWest in Taunton last Saturday ...  Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 12:49:48 »

There's another elephant in the room regarding Network Rail and whether there will be funding for such capital projects, here in the South West, or elsewhere. That elephant is the massive debt that Network Rail is carrying, currently around ^30bn, which will move onto UK (United Kingdom) PLCs balance sheet later this year. At the moment Network Rail is a not for dividend private company limited by guarantee. Later this year it is due to become a public sector body.

I fear that it's going to be a lot harder to justify capital expenditure in future Control Periods, for various projects not already funded, when the dead hand of the Treasury is much more in control of Network Rail's budget. Once taxpayers become more aware just how much public money is going to Network Rail there will be, I predict, some serious political fallout.

Exactly so.  I fear that we may be heading back to the ills of underinvestment in the railway infrastructure redolent of the worst period of BR (British Rail(ways)) history, which is ironic considering the dominant political party in government.  Once the immediate issues of restoring services to the South West are dealt with, I suspect a brake will be applied on further spending.  This is notwitstanding HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) which is a separate issue, IMHO (in my humble opinion).
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 12:57:16 »

This is why I can't understand what possesses people to imagine that renationalising the railways is a good idea - instead of arguing whether it's best to go via Powderham or Okehampton, we'll be arguing whether it's better to build railway lines or hospitals - and hospitals will win almost every time.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 20:11:20 »

I voted Don't Know simply because there is insufficient information to answer the question.  It certainly could be rebuilt to provide a shorter journey time, but if it is to be an additional line is there any justification to do this?  I suspect not.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 12:35:21 »

I voted Don't Know simply because there is insufficient information to answer the question.  It certainly could be rebuilt to provide a shorter journey time, but if it is to be an additional line is there any justification to do this?  I suspect not.

Me too, and for the same reason. I guess Patrick Hallgate had an idea of a level of engineering when he said 4 hours but it ought to be nearer 3 hours 30 mins with appropriate engineering. A double track section from Crediton to the divergence of the Okehampton & Barnstaple lines, an extension of the length of 125 mph track between there and Okehampton, passing loops at Okehampton & Bere Alston stations would all be relatively straightforward for a start.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 13:19:12 by Andy » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: