Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 09:18:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[126] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[106] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[22] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[21] access for all at Devon stations report
[13] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[11] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A throwback to the bad old days? Temporary - I hope!  (Read 1506 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 16, 2014, 08:31:08 »

Yet another disrupted Sunday (that's 3 out of 5 since the summer timetable started!) and it follows on from problems at the end of last week.   And yet we have good loadings on the trains.   The following request for explanation going in to look at the systemic issues revealed ...

In the "bad old days" ... Wessex Trains ran services from Swindon to Westbury and beyond.  They got a reputation for being un-reliable and often cancelled, and there was a feeling that they were interlopers in First territory at Swindon, with staff there directing customers for Melksham to travel "via Bath" ... a First train, followed by a First Bus. 

I thought those days were over, but I see worrying signs.

** On reliability

Last Wednesday, the 20:12 to Westbury was cancelled. (Train fault)
Last Thursday, the 20:12 to Westbury was cancelled. (Train fault)
Last Friday, the 20:12 to Westbury was cancelled but then re-instated (Train fault)
Yesterday (Sunday) the 20:19 to Westbury was cancelled. (Lack of train crew)
There were no line or weather issues, and virtully every other service was running near-perfect.

It looks like we're bottom of the priority list / first to cancel, even though a cancellation on the TransWilts has severe knock-ons on customers - it's the last train of the day, services are infrequent so there isn't just a 30 minute wait, and it's a newish service with a high proportion of people trying it for the first time, and likely to be put off (and telling friends and family) if it doesn't work. Why is this service being treated as expendable before others?

** On customer information

Yesterday (Sunday) I was meeting customers off the 20:19 when it arrived at Melksham, and I was aware well ahead of time of the cancellation.  These are overseas visitors, arrived in the last few days from China and with a just-workable understanding of English (their English is a lot better than my Chinese!).  Bright business people though - here for a major meeting in Melksham.

I asked on Twitter what arrangements were being made so that I know where to go to get them; initially, I got an apology for the cancellation(thank you), but no answer to the actual question.  I persisted and was told they would be put in a bus or taxi from Swindon or Chippenham and asked to let them know this is they phoned in to me.  They phoned in (probably from the HST (High Speed Train) between Didcot and Swindon), but I was driving at the time and I was passed a message that they would be at Melksham station at around 20:42.   Sounded feasible (taxi from Chippenham).

At Melksham station when the train / taxi was due, and another phone call to say they were getting off the train at Bath Spa.  Talking with them later to find out why they had gone to Bath, they told me they were advised to do that by the official lady at Swindon Station (I am guessing one of the customer service desks or barriers?) ... and I can't doubt them, for why else would they go to Bath?

There is no Sunday evening bus service from Bath Spa to Melksham ... there is a limit to what I'll put my customers through, and I collected them.

I asked on Twitter why they were sent to Bath (there may have been a reason I do not know) and was given an apology, but no explanation.

Can you explain, please?  It looks like an incorrect guess by staff at Swindon, or back to the "bad old days" of trying to route people via First services, or simply a way to pass on the problem / work to someone else.  I'm just thankful they weren't charged extra or penalty fared between Chippenham and Bath ... but then tickets weren't checked and the barriers were unmanned and open ... there's another story in there.

My guests weren't the only ones caught yesterday ... a mother had come to Melksham Station to collect her daughter and was somewhat distressed to find just "cancelled" on the screen and no idea where her daughter was or how she would get back to Melksham ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 12:07:42 »

Who is the request going to at FGW (First Great Western) out of interest?

There are two distinct issues - train faults and staff shortages.

I don't know about staffing issues, but I do know that on any given day there is only 153 at Westbury.  Therefore if it develops a fault there is not another one immediately available.  Due to the constraints of platform 2 at Swindon they cannot pull a 150 off the sidings at Westbury to take its place.

However it might be possible to put in place a temporary solution if the will and crew knowledge was there.  Run a 150 to Swindon and use Platform 1 - but then run it into Cocklebury sidings to the east of the station for it to layover before bringing it back just before departure time.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 22:12:32 »

My guests weren't the only ones caught yesterday ... a mother had come to Melksham Station to collect her daughter and was somewhat distressed to find just "cancelled" on the screen and no idea where her daughter was or how she would get back to Melksham

This surprised me somewhat - a daughter travelling without a mobile phone. Daughter would imply that she was not of the one generation that maybe mobile phones haven't reached 99.999% penetration in the population.

Is there a "help point" at Melksham that she could have used?

But it would help if the screen said "replacement bus/taxi running" (although not that much help if they were also then recommended to stay on until Bath Spa.)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 22:20:16 »

There is a help point at Melksham.  I have used it three times as a test.  Once I was given the correct information regarding running information.  Once I was told "I think the train will be around 11 minutes late" - this was based on the fact that once it enters the line it is in rather a black hole as regards the reporting system - but even 11 minutes is stretching it from either end.  The final time it rang and rang - and then the train arrived.

It is something which has been highlighted - but on the first Sunday when trains were cancelled the help point were unaware that taxis/coaches were on the way and it does need addressing.

While there are good, nay excellent, loadings - we do run a risk with leisure travellers who turn up once then have an uncomfortable, lengthy or non existent journey and say "never again".
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 22:43:40 »

Mobile phone's battery had gone flat ...

Help point just had word "cancelled" - that's routine, it never says if a bus / taxis are running ...

Press the button and speak to someone and they'll just tell you about the cancellation and when the next train is due, if you're  lucky.  They have a script, though ... so you have to pretend you're catching the train if you get one of the ones who insists that you give him/her a journey ...

The technology is so much better than in my commute-to-school days when my Mum didn't know where I was from walking out of the house in the morning to getting back in the evening, but it's still got a long way to go.

And, yes, it is a bit of a black hole ... the train passes out of Swindon's control at Thingley and is in a sort of never-never land until it gets its Westbury's grasp at Bradford Junction.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 22:51:50 »

And, yes, it is a bit of a black hole ... the train passes out of Swindon's control at Thingley and is in a sort of never-never land until it gets its Westbury's grasp at Bradford Junction.

Swindon actually have to ring Westbury and ask for permission to send a train onto the line.  Curiously the same does not apply in the reverse direction where Westbury can "see" if the line is clear.  I discovered this at one of the panel open days at Swindon.  If Westbury are busy it can sometimes take two or three attempts to get through - hence why the train sometimes comes to a halt at Thingley for no apparent reason.  Once everything moves to the TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) at Didcot the phone calls will no longer be needed.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 20:20:45 »

Dear Sir / Madam,

In the "bad old days" ... Wessex Trains ran services from Swindon to Westbury and beyond.  They got a reputation for being un-reliable and often cancelled, and there was a feeling that they were interlopers in First territory at Swindon, with staff there directing customers for Melksham to travel "via Bath" ... a First train, followed by a First Bus, rather than putting them on the competitor TOC (Train Operating Company)^s train even when it was at the platform!

I thought those days were over, but I see worrying signs.

** On reliability

Last Wednesday, the 20:12 to Westbury was cancelled. (Train fault)
Last Thursday, the 20:12 to Westbury was cancelled. (Train fault)
Last Friday, the 20:12 to Westbury was cancelled but then re-instated (Train fault)
Yesterday (Sunday) the 20:19 to Westbury was cancelled. (Lack of train crew)
There were no line or weather issues, and virtually every other line^s service was running near-perfect as far as I can make out. Other Swindon <-> Westbury services were cancelled, though!

It looks like we're bottom of the priority list / first to cancel, even though a cancellation on the TransWilts has severe knock-ons on customers - it's the last train of the day, services are infrequent so there isn't just a 30 minute wait, and it's a newish service with a high proportion of people trying it for the first time, and likely to be put off (and telling friends and family) if it doesn't work. Why is this service being treated as expendable before others?

** On customer information

I run a business in Melksham. Yesterday (Sunday) I was meeting customers off the 20:19 when it arrived at Melksham, and I was aware well ahead of time of the cancellation.  These are overseas visitors, arrived in the last few days from China and with a just-workable understanding of English (their English is a lot better than my Chinese!).  Bright business people though - here for a major meeting in Melksham.

I asked on Twitter what arrangements were being made so that I know where to go to get them; initially, I got an apology for the cancellation(thank you), but no answer to the actual question.  I persisted and was told they would be put in a bus or taxi from Swindon or Chippenham and asked to let them know this is they phoned in to me.  They phoned in (probably from the HST (High Speed Train) between Didcot and Swindon), but I was driving at the time and I was passed a message that they would be at Melksham station at around 20:42.   Sounded feasible (taxi from Chippenham).

At Melksham station when the train / taxi was due, and another phone call to say they were getting off the train at Bath Spa.  Talking with them later to find out why they had gone to Bath, they told me they were advised to do that by the official lady at Swindon Station (I am guessing one of the customer service desks or barriers?) ... and I can't doubt them, for why else would they go to Bath?

There is no Sunday evening bus service from Bath Spa to Melksham ... there is a limit to what I'll put my customers through, and I collected them.

I asked on Twitter why they were sent to Bath (there may have been a reason I do not know) and was given an apology, but no explanation.

Can you explain, please?  It looks like an incorrect guess by staff at Swindon, or back to the "bad old days" of trying to route people via First services, or simply a way to pass on the problem / work to someone else.  I'm just thankful they weren't charged extra or penalty fared between Chippenham and Bath ... but then tickets weren't checked and the barriers were unmanned and open ... there's another story in there.

I appreciate that what happened in the last few days can^t be undone, but I would welcome your explanations so that we know for the future, and your help in fixing any systemic issues it reveals so that other customers of yours and our don^t get caught / mislead in the same way in the future.

Thanks

Graham

Answer:

Dear Mr Ellis

Thank you for your email of 16 June 2014 explaining the disruption that has affected the Swindon to Westbury line.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the problems you have experienced, to the best of our ability we try to run reliable services and in no way prioritise certain services over other ones. When unexpected disruption to services occurs we do our best to minimise this as much as possible so would focus available trains on routes carrying the highest volume of passengers and would provide alternate transport where necessary.

Alternate transport is arranged by the internal control department, when disruption happens information is fed from ground teams to control and control feed information back out to the teams. Sometimes whilst things are still being arranged by control it is not always possible for staff to confirm the new arrangements to the public until the information has been provided. During this uncertain period it can be difficult for both staff and customers and I apologise that you felt frustrated finding out where your customers would be diverted to.

As you explained that you collected your customers this sounds like an abandoned journey circumstance, if you can send in to me the journey tickets they travelled with or evidence of this such as the booking confirmations or a bank statement showing the amount I will be happy to send you rail travel vouchers to the value of the ticket in compensation.

The easiest way to do this is by PDF/JPEG email attachment to fgwfeedback@firstgroup.com quoting your case reference number above. The freepost address is also above if you would prefer to post this information (please take a copy for yourself to keep before posting).

I understand that this isn^t the first delay you^ve experienced recently and I^m genuinely sorry you feel so let down. The delays that occurred on 11 and 12 June 2014 were due to the driver reporting a mechanical fault and the cancellation on 15 June 2014 was indeed due to a colleague shortage problem.

At the start of the year, our Managing Director Mark Hopwood set up a Performance Task Force with colleagues from Network Rail to look at the root causes of common delays within our control. We have been looking at all areas of our operation including our timetable, fleet availability and reliability, train crew availability and traffic management.

This initiative is delivering good results and we are seeing a sustained improvement to the punctuality and reliability of our services, but we know there is still much more work to do.

As you may be aware First Great Western signed an agreement with the Department for Transport on 2 October 2013 to continue operating the franchise until 20 September 2015. This agreement reflects the Government's revised franchising policy, maintains all existing timetabled services and consolidates the improvements we have worked with our stakeholders to deliver over the past seven years. We^re delighted to have this opportunity to continue to work on our plans for service improvement and we^re absolutely committed to using this time wisely and delivering on our promises.

Thank you again for contacting us about your journey experiences. I trust that you will soon start to notice an improvement in the performance of our trains.

Yours sincerely

Well - I say "answer" but I don't see any explanation of why my customers were sent to Bath (which I asked for) ... really much of it's telling me what I know, and not answering what I don't know.   Top marks for politeness, good marks for speed of response ...

The bit I have highlighted indicates a worrying change in policy back to what it used to be ... at one time TransWilts was first to go, rather than splitting a multiple unit train elsewhere (e.g. taking a 153 off the back of a Bristol service) or leaving a 30 minute gap on a busier line. That changed when it was realised that a TransWilts cancellation, because the service is so infrequent, causes much  bigger problems for those customers caught.   

This reply seems to say that policy has changed back, and that would seem to be a reasonable explanation of why we saw a leap to a 15%+ cancellation rate over the five day period I wrote about, yet I'm informed that "we are seeing a sustained improvement to the punctuality and reliability" when I ask.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 15:54:32 »

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=54578.0

Graham, I tried to get tickets on the day for 2 adults and 2 children and was told at Swindon that they have to be booked in advance to get the discount!!  We drove to W-s-M instead!!

Bl**y Swindon advise again ??

Are there conditions where GroupSave can be withdrawn at short notice?

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 17:31:03 »

If it was this weekend Groupsave is withdrawn because of the Weston Airshow - which would apply to buying them in advance too!

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/48462.aspx

Edit to add: also applies to Weston next weekend because of a music festival.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 20:51:51 »

20:12 Swindon to Westbury due 20:55
This train will be cancelled.
This is due to a train fault.

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 21:18:32 »

Not sure why it didn't go external, but the internal info shows: Customers for Melksham will be provided with road transport from Chippenham.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 21:54:22 »

Not sure why it didn't go external, but the internal info shows: Customers for Melksham will be provided with road transport from Chippenham.

Thanks, Ollie ... which is much better than sending them to Bath ...and indeed acceptable on odd occasions.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: