Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:38:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This Friday - Claire Perry in Melksham  (Read 1742 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 26, 2014, 17:54:17 »

Claire Perry, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport with responsibility for rail fares, rail franchising, freight and logistics and transport agencies, will be visiting Melksham this coming Friday afternoon / meeting with a small group of "business interests".   I am asked "Are you able to give me details about what you would like to discuss" ...

Background, from Tom Skinner  |  Campaign Manager for Michelle Donelan:

We have the opportunity for a meeting between you and members of the Chamber of Commerce to meet with the new Minister responsible for railways (Claire Perry) on FRIDAY (29th Aug).  Would you and the team be interested? We can discuss Melksham transport links with her?  We will also be discussing the business case for re-opening Corsham Station with local businesses.

I have a good supply of midnight oil which I shall be burning tonight, and I would welcome inputs;  a quick email exchange has established that the meeting should take place (although past experience is that these things often vary a bit or are even last-minute cancelled)

More to follow on this is emails / p.m.s etc locally; this is a first post - inputs welcome overnight

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 18:00:08 »

Are you looking for TWCRP» (TransWilts Community Rail Partnership - about) officers to attend, grahame?  If so, I may well be able to do so - me being on annual leave this week.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 18:24:33 »

Are you looking for TWCRP» (TransWilts Community Rail Partnership - about) officers to attend, grahame?  If so, I may well be able to do so - my being on annual leave this week.  Wink

It would be good to have the strength of your experience available, Chris ... pencil it in please

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 18:33:33 »

Already done - and even if the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport's visit is cancelled or postponed in the meantime, I will take a train (or two!) to Melksham anyway.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 19:19:15 »

From a business point of view I would like to point out the very high per mile cost of anytime fares to London (was it 84p per mile you quoted in a recent post).  Leisure travellers are usually able to travel off peak and most commuters can use the heavily discounted season tickets. It is the occasional business traveller, or rather the businesses that they work for, that are forced to pick up the huge cost of anytime train travel. A typical business meeting will almost always start at 10:30 or earlier and thus the business traveller is forced to pay for an anytime ticket. 

The disparity between anytime fares where they have been the regulated fares and other areas is unjustifiable, particularly as the boundaries between these areas are arbitrary.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 20:30:57 »

I suggest the discussion should be more related to issues that are specific to the TransWilts service, rather than a more general one such as the topic of peak fares.

Once you've explained how successful the service has been to date, my instinct would be to focus on the possible threat to the peak service once IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is introduced and to emphasise the importance of retaining choice for commuters. And then to explain the opportunity that an additional unit would bring, and the efficient use it could be put to.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 20:42:52 »

Thanks, John R.  Wink

Yes, the PUSST (see my post above for her full title) happens to be the local MP (Member of Parliament) for Devizes - and she will (hopefully) be visiting Melksham to discuss local railway and transport issues there.

I look forward to meeting her.  Cheesy

John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 20:52:02 »

Yes, the PUSST (see my post above for her full title)

Lets hope she doesn't get a move to a newly created Department for Youth.  Grin
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 21:20:28 »

Will she drive there or just drive from Devizes to Chippenham and catch a train from there ?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 21:33:41 »

It probably depends whether she's travelling to Melksham from her home in Broad Chalke near Salisbury, or from Westminster.  Wink

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 08:54:56 »

Already done - and even if the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport's visit is cancelled or postponed in the meantime, I will take a train (or two!) to Melksham anyway.  Grin

I'm meeting someone off the 2 p.m. ish arrival if you want a lift .... OR see you earlier

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 16:55:38 »

My apologies, grahame - during this morning, it became clear that I would not be able to travel after all, due to family circumstances.  Embarrassed

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 10:53:54 »

You missed a very interesting meeting, Chris ... full report and link to slide copy in the public TransWilts area at
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=14449.0

Claire Perry came across as well informed / well briefed, and with good knowledge beyond what she had been told to be able to ask excellent questions and follow up on their discussions.  I am confident that any negative service changes on the TransWilts in the direct award from 2015 will NOT be because of any lack of information or input, and indeed I'm pretty well sure that we have nailed any prospect of the service slipping to just the new trains.   I believe that she also went away very much aware than a significant element of the success is due to local community work / information / research, although that lies very much on top of a line that meets a natural travel flow and so is (frankly) not going to be too hard a battle to populate with people;   I would rather have Melksham than Mallaig as a source of people to fill trains in the winter!

Michelle Donelan was very quiet (but then she had brought the minister, so it was to be expected that she would listen and encourage us to make use of the opportunity).

It was also good to be able to look forward to joined up aspirations beyond the period from 2015 - looking at capacity improvements due to signalling changes and even redoubling;  good to see such things no longer impossible, but actually in vision.  Also looking forward to post-IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) changes and joined up solutions for the TransWilts south of Westbury, and other prospects such as sharing trains with the Stroud Valley line should their aspiration of a second (i.e. local) train each hour come about.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 11:38:55 »

Whilst I obviously get and wouldn't disagree with your point about the TransWilts being a line that meets a natural travel flow, I wouldn't want it to be misread as "build it and they will automatically come".

Having gained a lot of experience (both as part of my day job and as a CRP (Community Rail Partnership) volunteer) going door to door talking to residents along the TransWilts corridor and trying to persuade them to use public transport, I can tell you that, while there is obviously a huge amount of goodwill regarding what we are all collectively trying to achieve, it can be a battle in certain areas (predominantly parts of Chippenham & Trowbridge but also certain areas of the mainly-benign Melksham too) where people have become so used to using their cars as a default option.

This is where I would tend to agree with Claire Perry - due in no small part to our collective graft on the ground, we have manage to persuade an impressive number of people who are not by nature inclined towards public transport to honour us with their trust and patronage over the first year. However, the real challenge will be for both us and the service itself to prove worthy of retaining that trust and patronage, and continuing to attract & keep more passengers on that basis, over the medium to long term.

Anyone reading this should be in no doubt whatsoever of our determination to make it so - There is certainly no complacency here.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: