Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
15:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
16:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:35 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
13:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:07 London Paddington to Newbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 15:07:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[99] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[88] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[35] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[32] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Transwlits Survey/count: October 11, 2014 - October 14, 2014
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Counts and surveys - 11th to 14th October  (Read 1225 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 05, 2014, 13:32:55 »

We're coming towards the end of the first year of the trial improved train service between Swindon and Westbury via Chippenham, Melksham and Trowbridge. And we're looking forward to the future - to what happens beyond those three years.  Decisions as to what happens will be evidence based - and that means that we need to know about our passengers. 

On Saturday 11th October, Sunday 12th October, Monday 13th October and Tuesday 14th October, we will be surveying every single passenger train on the line.  Not only counting the number of passengers, but also asking why they're travelling, whether they're connecting with other trains, and more.  With strohg evidence we can make the most appropriate case for the future.

THIS MESSAGE IS LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS to help with the survey.  We need people who are "rail savvy"; it will take multiple people per train (getting hard to even count with the numbers we're getting now!) and each group will be lead by someone with experience at these things. Everyone will be safety briefed (form filling - lovely!).  And you costs will be covered. We may have a room or two available overnight in Melksham too.

At this stage - please EMAIL me (graham@wellho.net) if you would like to help, and let me know which day(s) or parts of days. I expect we'll know many / most of the volunteers, but we do also have room for newcomers who will be very welcome.

"We" ... for the purpose of this survey / message ... is the TransWilts Community Rail Partnership.  Ticketing provided by First Great Western, Survey questions, printing and analysis largely by Wiltshire Council, feet on the ground and further analysis of other figures (where data protection allows) by our community.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:46:48 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 13:52:45 »

grahame,

As discussed yesterday, I'm more than happy to assist on Monday 13th and also Tuesday 14th if required. I can be available from the second service of each day, starting at either Westbury or Swindon.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 11:33:09 »

grahame,

As discussed yesterday, I'm more than happy to assist on Monday 13th and also Tuesday 14th if required. I can be available from the second service of each day, starting at either Westbury or Swindon.

Looking good and gathering volunteers / helpers together - will have a draft schedule for people out tomorrow.

Here (for interest) is my cast around of the net looking for further volunteers from my mailing lists (others here welcome to jump in). Looking good ... but with 60 services (it would have been just 15 for a 4 day period last year) and several thousand journeys versus a few hundred, we've got to "upscale" a bit.

Additional trains from Swindon to Westbury via Chippenham, Melksham and Trowbridge have been running for 9 months, with passenger numbers growing and some of the trains getting quite crowded.  To help us (that^s the community, Wiltshire Council and First Great Western) understand how they^re being used, so that we can best know how they can be taken forward, we^re doing a major counting and survey over this coming weekend and early next week.    We^ll be asking all passenger groups on every train from Saturday through to Monday to complete survey forms for us [draft at end of message].   And we^ll be counting the numbers of passengers joining / leaving/ travelling on each leg of the journey from Saturday right through Tuesday to build our evidence base (midweek may be different to endofweek)

1. Please can you help us?  We are looking for / I am organising volunteers.  And I need lots!  There will be around 60 services to cover, and at least 2 people needed on each because it^s getting that busy.  Those of you experienced in this sort of thing may be asked to take the lead ^ those who are new to it will be briefed at the start and have someone to ask for help (and to chat with in quieter times ;-).   PLEASE REPLY TO THIS EMAIL if you can help - we really need to schedule in half day blocks; let me know day(s) and morning / afternoon / evening.    Tickets and all the stuff you need will be provided - coming together this week
   Saturday 11th October
   Sunday 12th October
   Monday 13th October
   Tuesday 14th October

[snip]

The TransWilts trains are very very much busier this year than even the ^peak only^ service was last year - there are six or seven times the number of passengers averaged across the whole service.   THANK YOU for your support and help so far.    The data gathering and planning that we^re doing in the next couple of weeks is vital to ensure that the right local inputs are made to future planning and franchising processes so that we carry on with the most appropriate service possible through 2015, and beyond to 2020.

Any questions - please call / email

Graham

P.S. Please feel free to copy this email on to others who may wish to help / come along ;-)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TeaStew

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 19:36:41 »

Unfortunately a bit late for me to rearrange work and weekend plans Sad would have loved to lend a hand. Look forward to answering the survey on Monday and Tuesday at least - is there a secret Coffee Shop handshake? Best wishes to all involved!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 19:51:57 »

I have emailed out rotas to everyone who's volunteered, trying to give you each worthwhile but not overlong sessions, without undue gaps, and spread the unsavoury hour services.   People start and end at the same point, except those from Bath and west thereof who *may* end up doing a triangle.

Any errors / problems - pleas let me know.   I will have Transwilts authority to trace letters for you at the start and instructions by the end of tomorrow.   If coming further, buy a ticket and I'll reimburse from CRP (Community Rail Partnership) funds - remember a ticket to Melksham is valid from Bath and beyond via Chippenham or via Trowbridge.

Survey forms fine tuned, train log forms drafted as is other paperwork.   Gonna be a busy few days!

and THANK YOU all who have given me availability and are giving serious time.  Makes a huge difference.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 20:26:54 »

Fine by me. If I read the table right in the email, my first outing is with you grahame on the 1615 from Westbury on Monday.

Hard to read the table in my email client as I need to scroll left to right, could you PM me the services I'll be working.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 20:31:18 »

Hope it goes well for you all. I'll be keeping an eye open for you.  Smiley
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 00:42:54 »

Please do give us a wave, if you happen to spot one of us, Network SouthEast. Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 07:28:09 »

First two teams on their way with paperwork ... paperwork for third team starting at 15:06 awaiting collection

Reminder / thank you sent out to people who take over later today

Most supplies for tomorrow / monday here at base ...

I can now sit back and relax until I'm on the 18:47 from Westbury and 21:14 from Westbury ... just a course to give this morning and a greyhound walk I'm organising this afternoon.   On call via 01225 708225 (normal number) or 0797 4 925 928 while moving around

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 12:42:29 »

From new edition of RailExpress - RailFuture's monthly newsletter

Additional trains from Swindon to Westbury via Chippenham, Melksham and Trowbridge have been running for 9 months, with passenger numbers growing and some of the trains getting quite
crowded. The enhanced service was introduced for a 3-year trial period with a Local Sustainable Transport Fund subsidy. To help the train operator and Wiltshire Council understand how it^s being used, the TWR partnership organised passenger counts on all trains over the 4-day period of 11-14 October. Volunteers involved in the count will be handing out travel questionnaires and most passengers are able to fill these in before they get off the train. TWR has organised passenger surveys before, so the exercise is running like clockwork.
A free Rail Link bus has been introduced to connect with weekday morning and evening trains at Melksham and patronage is slowly growing. There^s also a team of volunteers that keep the station at Melksham looking tidy and tend to the flower tubs.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 14:51:20 »

Survey completed ... now for entry and analysis.   Following note is for file

Commentary - 10th to 14th October - TransWilts survey

A rainy autumn weekend, with the Swindon Town home match postponed well before anyone travelled.  On Saturday,  a person hit by train near Cam and Dursley resulted in some diversions of traffic in the area. On Sunday, lines between Didcot and Swindon were closed, and lines between Warminster and Salisbury were closed until late afternoon. On Monday and Tuesday, the line from Castle Cary to Taunton was closed for planned engineering works, and West of England expresses ran via Swindon.   This resulted in a loss of traffic via Westbury to Taunton and beyond, and some schedules being varied by a few minutes to allow for extra trains at the Swindon end.

On Sunday night / monday morning, a track failure resulted in the line through Melksham being closed and neither the 06:12 from Swindon nor the 07:04 from Westbury called there - routed instead via Bathampton with an extra reversal.   Pilotman working was in force all day from Thingley to Bradford, resulting in delays to service all day Monday.

On Tuesday, the 18:52 from Swindon was cancelled due to a train fault.

Scheduled - 59 trains.   Ran calling at book stations - 56.   94.9% operated.
(2 ouf of 8 key commuter runs lost - 25% lost / 75% operated)

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: