Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:29:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onwards  (Read 314942 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: March 31, 2023, 00:07:09 »

Forget the portion, just run it later so it arrives at Plymouth at a reasonable time and market it as an option for business travel to the Southwest.

I take the point about the Scillonian but it only runs for 8 months a year and I'd be interested in the details of numbers of customers who use the sleeper specifically for that purpose.

As well as the Scillonian, there's a few potential issues that might cause problems if you did that:

1)  AIUI (as I understand it) the three customer hosts who work the sleeper service do so throughout from Paddington to Penzance.  That's already a long shift and it probably wouldn't be possible to extend those shifts by two or more hours.  So there might be extra costs providing two sets of customer host crews.
2)  Not sure what the TM(resolve)'s and Drivers do, except that they change over at Exeter, but again 2-3 hours later into Penzance might mean more crew are required overall depending on what trains they work next.
3)  Passenger trains leave Plymouth for Penzance at 07:12, 07:43, 08:08, 08:47 and 09:15.  Given the signalling headways on the route there is no room for another one, so one would have to go and I doubt that would be popular amongst the good folk of Cornwall.  You'd be looking at a Penzance arrival of around 10:00-10:30, with the first day time train from Paddington arriving not too long after at 11:40!

At the moment the sleeper is run largely on whimsy and subsidy at a time when the railway needs to save money and/or look to increase revenue. This would seem an opportunity worth investigating.

I have no idea whether Plymouth MPs (Member of Parliament) are lobbying for it. I suspect that it's been so hopelessly impractical for so long that people/business just gave up and drove/travelled elsewhere and it's not talked about much.

Sounds like the sort of thing one of the local MP's would love to crow about achieving, and if the extra stumbling blocks above can be overcome, perhaps it's worth you (or a friend who still lives in one of the constituencies) from writing to them to suggest?

This may be a way to get more people on the trains which I thought the majority of those on this forum were keen on?

I'd be delighted if the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) funded the extra costs that would result from either a long layover at Plymouth or a second portion being detached.  However, that needs to be balanced with the clear intention of the DfT to reduce costs, not increase them, as evidenced by the quite severe cut backs in rolling stock that GWR (Great Western Railway) are permitted to use.  Costs seem much more important than any revenue growth at the moment.

For that reason I personally think it's a bit of a non starter sadly.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 31, 2023, 01:06:31 »

I agree. I really dont see why the sleeper cant stay on the platform until 7.30. It always used to when there was a separate Plymouth portion.

I asked a host about this on one sleeper trip a few years ago. From memory if passengers are on the train then there has to be a driver in the cab should the Loco be attached and (at least one) member of staff in the carriages. 
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 10, 2023, 19:49:40 »

Could be awkward….

23:45 London Paddington to Penzance due 07:54 will now run as scheduled.
Will be formed of 7 coaches instead of 8.

Additional Information
We regret to inform you that Coach 'G' on our 23:45 London Paddington to Penzance Night Riveria Sleeper service will not be available for customer use owing to a fault on this carriage which could not be rectified.

We apologise for the obvious inconvenience this will cause to customers booked to be accommodated in coach 'G' tonight.

Customers who are booked to be accommodated in coach 'G' on this service who have not been contacted by our Customer Services Team already, please contact our Customer Services Team on 03457000125.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 10, 2023, 21:38:00 »

Could be awkward….

23:45 London Paddington to Penzance due 07:54 will now run as scheduled.
Will be formed of 7 coaches instead of 8.

Additional Information
We regret to inform you that Coach 'G' on our 23:45 London Paddington to Penzance Night Riveria Sleeper service will not be available for customer use owing to a fault on this carriage which could not be rectified.

We apologise for the obvious inconvenience this will cause to customers booked to be accommodated in coach 'G' tonight.

Customers who are booked to be accommodated in coach 'G' on this service who have not been contacted by our Customer Services Team already, please contact our Customer Services Team on 03457000125.

Those in "G" Hotbunking with those in carriages F & H then?

Make new friends and get cosy!  Smiley
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 10, 2023, 22:15:04 »

Puts me in mind of the tale from someone at work - on the Bristol to Edinburgh West Country Angloscottish sleeper in the eighties. Unexpected halt and rather delayed at Cheltenham, it emerged that her carriage had an issue and needed to be removed (and from the middle of the train for good measure...) to allow the rest to proceed.

I *think* there was enough room aboard that she was able to transfer to alternative cabin.

Mark
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 14, 2023, 06:42:25 »

Lovely write up for the sleeper here.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/night-train-sleeper-london-cornwall-penzance

edited to fix URL
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 08:01:44 by Timmer » Logged
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #906 on: July 14, 2023, 10:49:51 »

Apart from the HST (High Speed Train) in the opening picture, a lovely article  Shocked

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 14, 2023, 11:43:43 »

Apart from the HST (High Speed Train) in the opening picture, a lovely article  Shocked

Never mind the HST, just look at the lovely Sn'erth semaphores
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #908 on: July 14, 2023, 12:13:55 »

Oops, never spotted them!

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: July 14, 2023, 14:26:41 »

Oops, never spotted them!

It's a good job that the drivers do, though  Wink
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: July 14, 2023, 16:13:41 »

But you can just make out the ZZ carriage stop sign for the sleeper in front of the signals.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 14, 2023, 20:38:59 »

Also
Instead of a shower on the train, I opted for a dip in the Jubilee Pool © Tom Hall/Lonely Planet

Shower on the train, have I missed something?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 14, 2023, 22:26:14 »

Shower on the train, have I missed something?
You weren’t the only one thinking that.
Confusing it with the Caledonian Sleeper perhaps?
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #913 on: July 15, 2023, 06:54:26 »

Note to self.
Read properly. Don't skim read.

Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 14, 2023, 15:02:05 »

It appears that last night's sleeper was an IET (Intercity Express Train). Via Swindon and then Yeovil for good measure.

Mark

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L51037/2023-08-13/detailed
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63
  Print  

Jump to: