17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
08:35 Banbury to Didcot Parkway
Delayed
06:44 Exeter St Davids to Cardiff Central
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 09:20:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[105] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[59] Where have I been?
[58] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Consultation on "Improving Connectivity"  (Read 14889 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2014, 09:31:25 »

"Connectivity" has appeared as a buzz-word in HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) documents, and in the new route studies, meaning something like serving other stations as well when you are discussing a main line. Network Rail have also undertaken a study (like a Network RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy)) into a more concrete proposal they call "improving connectivity". This may be familiar as German-style clockface timetabling (though they identify it as Swiss, since the Swiss have taken it further, and it has been mentioned in this forum as being typical of the Netherlands).

In essence, it means this: when designing services linking between main lines, top priority in given to making them connect with the main line and each other, speed and direct trains are less important. Ideally, all connecting trains turn up simultaneously with the mainline trains. They also show how cross-platform changes can make three-ended routes work better (though I can't see how that would work with four ends).

Most of the study is an exercise in applying these principles to the Anglia Route, and they claim impressive reductions in travel time between almost all station pairs. Less surprisingly, it makes travel between more such station pairs by train a feasible option.

Unfortunately, they do not make any attempt at applying it elsewhere, nor say whether the Anglia Route is unusually suitable for it. So how well would it work for the Western Route?

The consultation is here, and the report itself is here. Responses must be in by 31 January 2015.

(This is supposedly part of the Long Term Planning Process, though I have yet to find a route through the menus that leads to it there or anywhere else.)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 20:50:55 »

It certainly seems a good idea to study this but I do wonder how many stations it would be possible to arrange cross platform interchange as in Germany.  Reading maybe when the Viaduct and the Festival line are fully operational. Cross Country to West Country Platorm 3 to 7

i still have my video of an ICE and IC (Inter City) arriving simultaneously either side of the platform in Mannheim.
No defensive driving in fact the IC overtakes the ICE runnig down the platform.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 21:02:26 »

It certainly seems a good idea to study this but I do wonder how many stations it would be possible to arrange cross platform interchange as in Germany.  Reading maybe ...

Westbury ... especially once we get an extra track along the unused platform  Wink .   

Salisbury ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 00:23:40 »

Parson Street ...  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 08:36:03 »

I think it's fair to say this sort of thing already exists at Salisbury
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 09:21:10 »

I think it's fair to say this sort of thing already exists at Salisbury

Maybe ... or maybe it needs a bit of tuning there?

I'm an occasional traveller from West Wilts to lots of places including Farnborough (Hants), Basingstoke, and the South Bank in London for which Waterloo is a perfect arrival.

Arrival of the hourly service from Cardiff into Salisbury is at xx:29, which is just after the departure of the xx:21 Exeter to London Express.    Arrival of the hourly express from London is at xx:42, which is just after the departure at xx:40 of the Cardiff train.    We know there's a significant requirement for this flow, since there's a handful of trains from London that detach a Bristol portion at Salisbury.

Where it does work at Salisbury is for passengers arriving from Portsmouth and headed to Exeter and vice versa.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 09:56:21 »

To enable cross platform Westbury London and vice versa connections at Salisbury the station would realy need to be two island platforms one Up one Down. Then the Cardiff to Portsmouth and Exeter London and and in the Down could be in the station at the same time.

Which was why I suggested that there are very few junction staions where this can happen

Agreed Parsons Street is an interesting one but like Westbury needs the 4th platform to be reinstated.

Then you could have a connection between Cross Country and or the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)  and the Taunton Bristol stopper. It would mean two stops close together for the fast but but would keep changing passengers out of Temple Meads.  Although the passenger facilities might have to be improved
at Parsons Street.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:18:04 by eightf48544 » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 14:22:07 »

I was thinking also of the connection with the new passenger services on the reopened branch line to Portishead.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 14:34:08 »

Then there's Avonmouth (for Henbury) and Stapleton Rd (for all sorts of places)...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 14:37:41 »

To enable cross platform Westbury London and vice versa connections at Salisbury the station would realy need to be two island platforms one Up one Down. Then the Cardiff to Portsmouth and Exeter London and and in the Down could be in the station at the same time.

Which was why I suggested that there are very few junction staions where this can happen

Agreed Parsons Street is an interesting one but like Westbury needs the 4th platform to be reinstated.

Then you could have a connection between Cross Country and or the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)  and the Taunton Bristol stopper. It would mean two stops close together for the fast but but would keep changing passengers out of Temple Meads.  Although the passenger facilities might have to be improved
at Parsons Street.

Can't see a huge benefit here - not enough to stop express trains there - even after Portishead reopening.  A short trip into and out of Temple Meads would be more efficient and would give vastly more connecting opportunities.  
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 15:04:05 »

You will no doubt note that my suggestion of Parson Street was clearly marked  Tongue ...

CfN.  Grin

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 15:12:14 »

Interesting twist on cross platform changes is Newton Abbot.  At night, after the last Paignton train has gone, the down trains are usually crossed over to Platform 3 which offers no step access to the car park and taxis.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 15:27:03 »

Yes, I see what you're saying - but I suspect that in many cases (Salisbury may be an example) that not all the connections are needed at the same.

Let's take a look:

Exchange from Waterloo to Cardiff AND from Portsmouth to Exeter (and vice versa) - useful
Exchange from Waterloo to Portsmouth AND from Cardiff to Exeter (and vice versa) - limited use
Exchange from any line back into a train returning the same way - pointless

Let me qualify "limited use".

Passengers coming up from Portsmouth and Southampton to Basingstoke and London will go via Wincehester
Passengers from Westbury and north thereof, to Yeovil, Exeter and Westwards will go via Castle Cary
There would be some double-back flows with the extra connections, but none strikes me a large.
- Romsey to Andover
- Warminster to Axminster
- Grateley to Southampton
- Bath to Honiton
(please let me know if I've missed a big 'un).

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 20:00:35 »

I think everyone is rather missing the point. The proposition is that you could scrap the current timetable completely, adopt 'connectivity' in this sense as top priority, and then design a route network and timetable on that basis from scratch. The approach they describe would produce a pattern of 1 and 2 tph everywhere, with good connections (ideally all cross-platform). That ought to give better connectivity, obviously, but what would be the penalties?

The study claims that you can then overlay extra services: fast trains on the main lines, some of which also interconnect with slower ones; extra stopping trains for 4 tph 'metro' service, and peak commuter trains too. They imply that no capacity is lost, but that sound unikely (I imagine a lot of current timetablers will be sceptics). There will have to be some timetable padding, which we know happens in Switzerland and Germany. What about where the current timetable has to be carefully tweaked to mix fast and stopping trains on the same line can that capacity be maintained?

They do say that extra infrastructure is needed, most obviously those island platforms to change trains across, and line speed improvements where the clockface timings are just missed. However, they do say that some works can be omitted, such as doubling single track near stations (all trains arrive in a 'flight' and then leave likewise): they give the example of Trowse Swing Bridge at Norwich.

At Ely North, which is their main worked example, they want a new station, to make it easier for this to be a key interchange. While it's not made explicit, they would move the junction itself northwards, thus closing two level crossings. But this time they also ask for grade separation of the Peterborough line at this junction, which is not in the Anglia Route Study. I presume this is mainly for freight, but surely an avoiding line (maybe using the West Curve) and a choice of crossovers north or south of Ely North ought to be enough.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 10:03:19 »

Very interesting stuving.

If they are really looking at a fairly radical change to service patterns, plus new stations and extra platforms to improve connectivity then it rather makes a nonsense of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) with it's 4 separate terminal stations. I suppose they could bring a train from the North into Curzon Street with a cross platform change into a London train. But that seems to defeat the objectives of HS2 of givng high speed journies to London from the North.

I suppose New Crewe is HS2's answer, I'm not sure Toton or Meadowhall meet the criteria.

New Reading with the flyunder from the Southern and the Viaduct and Festival lnes to the West with most lines bi-directional  could with clever timetabling/platforming give some cross platform interchanges.  Although like Salisbury you'd have to work out what flows to cater for. Heathrow (if West link is opened) and Gatwick from anywhere West. TV Crossrail stations to FGW (First Great Western) and Cross Country.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: