Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:09 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19/04/24 06:04 Gloucester to Worcester Foregate Street
Short Run
22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 05:33 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 23:49:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: profit first, safety second?  (Read 17479 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 19:17:53 »

First Buses put Profit First, Safety Second, otherwise how else can you explain all the First Group Buses that get ORDERED OFF THE ROAD by vehicle examiners.

Like Father, Like Son.

First Bus, First Great Western it's the same top management!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong again. The one thing I get peed off with is the red tape surrounding safety. I  far as I am concerned the management take saftey far too seriously. I am not saying anyone in the industry that First are in should turn a blind eye to safety but this lot take it to far!

My issue is only with safety measures that are only needed to cater for the morons of the world.  Safety that is needed for danger = fine.

Safety needed because someone MIGHT fail to engage brain before acting = not fine.

It is more a comment on society in general but WHEN did we stop ultimately begin responsible for our own fate?

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
John R

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 20:00:20 »

When we started to adopt the US approach of a compensation culture, no win no fee lawyers, and all the related practices that have become commonplace these days. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 20:05:45 »

I've had a brillant day, it's not been a bad week at all.

What?  Smokey, in a good mood?  Surely not!   Shocked  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 21:18:58 »

First Group RUIN my life!!!!

Okay smokey, I've seen what you say.........now:

1. I probably spend in total more time on FGW (First Great Western) trains than anyone other than staff (does anyone here do 2:20 in each direction most days?)

2. I use, arguably, the most unreliable line in the FGW network

3. Even when train run on time, the stock used for a LONG DISTANCE journey is often debatable

4. Anything up to 20 minutes late is regarded as on time by most commuters on my line

Even given that, I cannot say FGW ruin my life.

Maybe some persepective is in order
I work for 'em. They tend to ruin my working life most days!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2008, 23:29:24 »

1. I probably spend in total more time on FGW (First Great Western) trains than anyone other than staff (does anyone here do 2:20 in each direction most days?)

3. Even when train run on time, the stock used for a LONG DISTANCE journey is often debatable

4. Anything up to 20 minutes late is regarded as on time by most commuters on my line

They pay the bills every four weeks though!  Wink
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 23:47:38 »

They pay the bills every four weeks though!  Wink

Whereas I pay them for my priviledge

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Station Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2008, 14:48:09 »

First Buses put Profit First, Safety Second, otherwise how else can you explain all the First Group Buses that get ORDERED OFF THE ROAD by vehicle examiners.

Like Father, Like Son.

First Bus, First Great Western it's the same top management!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You really like First don't you Smokey  Wink

I'M GETTING STICK HERE FOR MY VIEW ON FGW (First Great Western) AND SAFETY,
SURELY I'M ENTITLED TO MY VIEW,

ANOTHER POINT IS EVERY BODY IS JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS
I'M WELL AWARE OF THE SAFE OPERATION OF TRAINS, BUT THERES MORE TO RAILWAYS THAN RUNNING TRAINS AND MY SAFETY CONCERNS ARE NOT DIRECTLY ASSOCIATED WITH TRAINS, FAR FROM IT.

I'm going to shock some people here, train crew mostly, but I'm going to side with Smokey on the issue of safety.

I don't deny that safety is first with train movements, but at the station I work at, we used to have a Small BR (British Rail(ways)) maintenance team (3 men) who looked after just about anything and everything for 50 miles up & down the line, this team were well know to all the staff from booking offices, to station staff, the permanent way (track workers), the signal box and signal maintenance teams.

Today we get hundreds of different contractors from all over the place, we don't know most of them, that in it's self raises a question of security, they have access to all sorts of rooms.

Train crews might be surprised to learn that contractors working at stations do not need pts, as work on platforms is
not deemed on or near the line.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 15:22:30 by Station Manager » Logged
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2008, 15:01:41 »

Station staff don't require PTS (Personal Track Safety) either.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2008, 15:06:52 »

Station staff don't require PTS (Personal Track Safety) either.

For the benefit of forum readers, could you give an explanation of what PTS is?

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2008, 15:13:47 »

Personal Track Safety, it's a competence card for working on the track, allows you to walk on the track etc. Not sure why you would need one for working on a platform?? If thats the case than all passengers should have one!
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 16:48:00 »

Sometimes, 'safety first' goes to far: today's 0841 Barnstaple to Exmouth left about 30 people behind at Barnstaple (and, presumably, every other station to Exeter) because they couldn't fit any more people into a two-car 142.

However, they would have comfortably fitted (and relieved the standing passengers) in the empty two-car 142 that was attached to it, but that was locked out of use because of the short platforms at Eggesford...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2008, 17:06:19 »

Personal Track Safety, it's a competence card for working on the track, allows you to walk on the track etc. Not sure why you would need one for working on a platform?? If thats the case than all passengers should have one!

You need a Driving licence to drive a car, you don't need one to be a passenger in the car.

I would suggest all contractors working on the Railway should hold PTS (Personal Track Safety), it's also a good way to check out Contractors for Drug & Alcohol abuse.

Note: PTS is the basic safety requirement to work on or around the track, however even then PTS holders can not work alone, PTS allow the holder to work under direction of a COSS (controller of site safety) who oversees the safe operation of work.

This is much of the subject of safety that worries me, In "Railnews" the rail industry newpaper, there was a report about contractors installing a cable on a bridge over Railway lines at a Station.
They were using a ladder in the running lines and when asked where the COSS was there were blank looks, these men didn't have PTS, and were working Safely as they had checked the time table and there were no trains due.

I'm sure if you check the train times at Melksham there's Likely to be NO train due.

Now if a Ladder or scaffold is hit by a fast moving train at a station that is busy how many passengers could be killed?

See where I'm coming from, I'm not having a go at Train crew, they are real professionals, trained with safety first in mind, contractors can just come to a station to work, unsupervised and without any formal training, working often to Profit First, Safety Last.

I can't understand with bigger franchises why more maintenance isn't done in house.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2008, 17:13:34 »

Oh dear, that's the type of crass stupidity that gives the railway a bad name. And with two hours before the next train as well. Was any transport put on for them, or did they just go back home?

What was wrong with walking through the train at Umberleigh and ensuring that anyone who wanted to get off at Eggesford moved to the front two coaches. Of course, I know the answer, the rules don't allow it, and no employee of FGW (First Great Western) would dare breach a safety rule, and I don't blame them.  So I'm not criticising the staff one bit. Fare collection must have been interesting too, and as for the thought of an hour in crushed standing conditions on a 142.... yuck!

The trouble is, it was worse having the second train attached at all, as it would just have wound passengers up no end. If 2x142s are not permitted to stop at Eggesford then why were they even attached at all?      
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2008, 17:41:21 »

Now if a Ladder or scaffold is hit by a fast moving train at a station that is busy how many passengers could be killed?

If it was hit head on, then just the person who might have been using at the time, as it'd get taken straight over the top in most cases....

So, None.

Plus, the speed limit is what through a station, 10 these days? Giving the driver ample time to see it, and stop...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 17:47:38 by Shazz » Logged
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2008, 17:45:55 »

Sometimes, 'safety first' goes to far: today's 0841 Barnstaple to Exmouth left about 30 people behind at Barnstaple (and, presumably, every other station to Exeter) because they couldn't fit any more people into a two-car 142.

However, they would have comfortably fitted (and relieved the standing passengers) in the empty two-car 142 that was attached to it, but that was locked out of use because of the short platforms at Eggesford...
Oh dear, that's the type of crass stupidity that gives the railway a bad name. And with two hours before the next train as well. Was any transport put on for them, or did they just go back home?

What was wrong with walking through the train at Umberleigh and ensuring that anyone who wanted to get off at Eggesford moved to the front two coaches. Of course, I know the answer, the rules don't allow it, and no employee of FGW (First Great Western) would dare breach a safety rule, and I don't blame them.  So I'm not criticising the staff one bit. Fare collection must have been interesting too, and as for the thought of an hour in crushed standing conditions on a 142.... yuck!

The trouble is, it was worse having the second train attached at all, as it would just have wound passengers up no end. If 2x142s are not permitted to stop at Eggesford then why were they even attached at all?      

Some thing Else, I haven't been up the Barnstaple branch since the 6 car DEMU (Diesel Electric Multiple Unit) made a special visit, but if I remember Eggesford correctly the Down platform is short but the Up (Exeter) platform is longer, I would think a 4 car 142 would be platformed at Eggesford.
So is it a case that because the Dowm platform IS short a 4 car UP train can't call even thourgh it fits.

An observation, 8+2 HST (High Speed Train)'s can not call at stations between Plymouth and Penzance, because of short platforms if the SDO (Selective Door Opening) is U/S, yet when 8+2HSTs call in Truro Down platform all coaches are platformed, so why the BAN?
FGW saying their drivers can't stop in the right place? I find HST drivers are spot on for stopping.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: