Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 21:49:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[233] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[41] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[28] Cornish delays
[27] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[15] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost property charges  (Read 28073 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2015, 09:09:21 »

..........I'd be interested in folks views on the fairness (or otherwise) of these charges...

http://localbreakingnews.org/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11859626/Lost-property-rip-off-Passengers-charged-to-retrieve-own-items.html
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 09:26:30 »

Nothing new, BR (British Rail(ways)) used to charge a fee. Someone has to pay for a Lost Property office to be run. However, I think some of the charges are a bit steep but that's because private companies now run them and have to make a profit.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 11:46:37 »

But transport campaigners claim, with passengers already paying ever soaring ticket prices, that lost property ought to be offered for free.

To some extent I'm a campaigner, but I cannot say I support that claim.   Probably because I run a business at which property is sometimes left - I know how administratively expensive the handling of that property is, and how much time it eats up.   And I don't see why the person who never leaves anything behind should in effect be subsidising the person who does so - perhaps quite often;  such an effect comes from a free system.

The article also talks about differential scales for returning different types of property  - 3 pounds for key and 20 pounds for a laptop, for example.   Admin, etc, is going to cost the same for both - let's say 10 pounds.  Problem is that if you had a flat fee (of that 10 pounds), the laptop owner would pay his tenner, but the key person would say "keep 'em", resulting in a loss making lost property operation which would mean putting the charge up to 20 pounds anyway if something were claimed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 13:35:12 »

I have a recollection from one of the many recent railway documentaries of the admin fee being waived on an item as it had only just been brought in (and probably hadn't been booked into the system).

The radio interview I heard suggested to me the particular 'campaigner' was more concerned with it being a private company administering it.

I think there is scope for improving the lost property system to reunite more people with their items and having accessible databases but that will cost money to implement.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 13:55:44 »

I wonder what the charges are at Lost Property offices run directly by TOCs (Train Operating Company), such as GWR (Great Western Railway)'s at Bristol Temple Meads.

I've managed to get items back from there for free (ticket wallet, bicycle*) although told I should really be charged.

*Yes, I once 'lost' a bike on a railway station. Left it outside the Bristol TM(resolve) booking office while I made an enquiry, then went straight to my train. I'd planned to take the bike with me. Only when I was halfway to Taunton did I remember!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 15:56:43 »

I wonder what the charges are at Lost Property offices run directly by TOCs (Train Operating Company), such as GWR (Great Western Railway)'s at Bristol Temple Meads.

I've managed to get items back from there for free (ticket wallet, bicycle*) although told I should really be charged.

*Yes, I once 'lost' a bike on a railway station. Left it outside the Bristol TM(resolve) booking office while I made an enquiry, then went straight to my train. I'd planned to take the bike with me. Only when I was halfway to Taunton did I remember!

Don't you have to make contact on FGW (First Great Western) via a Call Centre in India.   The number of the LPO in Bristol TM is hush hush, isn't it ? Not to be disclosed.
the void

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 11:09:06 »

For the last two years FGW (First Great Western) have chosen to ignore the convoluted ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) pricing bands and have charged a flat rate of ^2 to retrieve an item of Lost Property. With the rebrand to GWR (Great Western Railway) this fee has been dropped altogether and there will no longer be a charge at all. In addition, GWR have partnered with www.missingx.com and from next week, customers will no longer have to contact the call centre to register and search for lost items as this can be done online instead.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 15:13:25 »

For the last two years FGW (First Great Western) have chosen to ignore the convoluted ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) pricing bands and have charged a flat rate of ^2 to retrieve an item of Lost Property. With the rebrand to GWR (Great Western Railway) this fee has been dropped altogether and there will no longer be a charge at all. In addition, GWR have partnered with www.missingx.com and from next week, customers will no longer have to contact the call centre to register and search for lost items as this can be done online instead.

A commendable decision.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 15:44:10 »

Not for the poor 80 something old lady who inadvertently leaves something on a train and has no access or even possesses computer sills.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 15:48:28 »

Not for the poor 80 something old lady who inadvertently leaves something on a train and has no access or even possesses computer sills.

"can be done online", not has to be - phone is still an option?
the void

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 15:53:54 »

"can be done online", not has to be - phone is still an option?

Phone is of course still an option. Searching through MissingX is in addition to, not instead of...

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 20:23:42 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 18:28:36 »

No sympathy, frankly...if you don't like the fees/procedure etc etc, simply don't forget your belongings! Its quite easy & not at all rocket science.

The security aspect in items transferring across the rail network takes staff time and a degree of organisation, all of which costs money. Yes one way or another, the customer will pay, its the customers property, so why not?

^20 is a piffling amount for a ^600 phone or laptop
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 20:19:01 »

It's not as if we aren't told at every station stop "please take a moment to check that you have all your personal belongings with you before leaving the train".
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 20:58:33 »

It's not as if we aren't told at every station stop "please take a moment to check that you have all your personal belongings with you before leaving the train".

We are ... sadly, I've heard it so often, I find it's lost its effect on me.   And I find myself thinking I can't take "all my personal belongings" because I've left a lot of them at home.  It's a very serious announcement made for a purpose ... I don't know how it's best to do it.

On the charge / amount ... we have our own little "Lost Property" at the hotel and I can confirm what a nightmare it can be.  Yet we can usually tied it to a particular guest quickly, and we have mobile phone numbers and/or email addresses of everyone who stays.   We don't usually charge, but we do take steps to minimise (our) costs by checking room as soon as people leave and as we usually know which businesses in the town our guests will be at - so they can collect at the end of the day.   I really would NOY want the rail job!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Penzance-Paddington

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 22:02:41 »

I agree.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: