Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 21:47:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[233] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[41] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[28] Cornish delays
[27] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[15] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: More TVM overcharging  (Read 6750 times)
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2017, 20:28:39 »

Back in 2015 there was a thread about ticket vending machines...

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15230.msg170095#msg170095

Fast forward to 2017, and three intending passengers faced with a closed ticket office, but a ticket machine available.

As it was Saturday, there would be no time restrictions on the use of off-peak day returns. So, no reason why the machine should offer Anytime Day Returns. But of course, it did, and that's what the passengers selected.  They didn't know that peak times did not apply on Saturday.

Worse, had the machine guided the passengers to the correct off-peak day return, it could have offered them Group Save (can GWR (Great Western Railway) TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)'s do that now?). So, quite a large difference between what the passengers paid, and what they should have paid.

Can it be too difficult to program the machines with a rule such as "don't offer Anytime Day returns on Sat/Sun/ Bank Hols" Huh
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 20:39:35 »

There are some routes that don't have off-peak fares.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 20:41:20 »

Hmm. Maybe I meant sone journeys...usually short, cheap ones
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 20:58:08 »

Ah, yes, I had forgotten that one.

Short journeys, like... Salisbury-Swansea. Anytime Return £56.00; Anytime Day Single £41.50.

I wonder how hard people would try looking for the off-peak ticket on the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)... in vain, as there isn't an off-peak fare (except advance).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 21:04:47 »

Really sad how little has changed ... still issues (Melksham at least) with off peak rather than super off peak to London being offered from the front screen on Saturday morning.  The super off peak ticket IS available but it takes 7 key stokes to find and select it, versus one for off peak, and you have to know where to navigate.  Groupsave not available when I last looked (and it does say so in the list of "this machine does not sell".

No rule that TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) have to offer lowest prices ticket, or a complete range - those rules apply to staffed ticket counters only, and provided you buy your groupsave at the earliest opportunity (i.e. on the train if there's only a limited TVM) you're ok. But the system does seem designed to provide best fares for the 2% of us sad cases who spend time studying the systems, and to provide valid (but not always the best value) for the other 98%.

There are some routes that don't have off-peak fares.

That is no justification for not offering off-peak fares (or super off peak) for journeys that do have them!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 21:24:47 »

You said they were available, just not on the front screen?

I pointed out, bearing in mind that the software is universal across similar TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) in GWR (Great Western Railway)-land, that it can't be asked to dusplay all off-peak fares at a weekend as some journeys don't gave OP (Original Poster / topic starter) fares to display. There is also a limit to the number of fares able to be displayed on one screen.

It isnt difficult to display all fares to kne destination. As long as all fares can be found against each station, I think that's reasonable. What is required is a complete redesign, but thats a different thread
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 23:50:34 »

As long as all fares can be found against each station, I think that's reasonable.

Maybe. Perhaps the unreasonableness comes from the TOC (Train Operating Company) (and DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) considering the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) to be an adequate substitute for a manned ticket office; particularly as having the wrong ticket is associated with various threats of penalty fares and so on.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 10:03:01 »

Can't disagree with that.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 12:14:41 »

In the meantime, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man for GWR (Great Western Railway) to put up a poster by the ticket machines explaining the issue, and saying "if you're travelling at this time, press these buttons".
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 12:19:32 »

In the meantime, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man for GWR (Great Western Railway) to put up a poster by the ticket machines explaining the issue, and saying "if you're travelling at this time, press these buttons".
You could but sadly people don't read things.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 08:40:13 »

Surely the rule is that TOCs (Train Operating Company) must ofer the cheapest ticket for the journey. So they are breaking their franchise agreement.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 08:44:43 »

Only from ticket offices I believe?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 09:17:41 »

Surely the rule is that TOCs (Train Operating Company) must ofer the cheapest ticket for the journey. So they are breaking their franchise agreement.

Only from ticket offices I believe?

Correct, ChrisB.   No franchise or legal obligation on TOCs as to what they offer on TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine).  They could (technically) decide only to sell any time singles.  Silly idea?  It's been done before:

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 09:31:52 »

No rule that TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) have to offer lowest prices ticket, or a complete range - those rules apply to staffed ticket counters only, and provided you buy your groupsave at the earliest opportunity (i.e. on the train if there's only a limited TVM) you're ok.

Looking at 6.3 of the NRCOT (National Rail Conditions of Travel) I cannot find the paragraph that permits this (i.e. no/closed ticket office and the ticket you want is not on the TVM so just get on)?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 09:34:05 »

if there was a requirement to show all fares, then the ticket you wanted would be there and there would be no point in that para?

NRCOT (National Rail Conditions of Travel) has what *must* be present, not what doesn't need to be.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: