27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 23:28:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Total Weekend Closure of Reading 14-15 October  (Read 33550 times)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2017, 16:41:25 »

Another weekend of total closure around Reading. Details here: 14-15 October 2017

Rough summary on the longer distance services: trains from South Wales / Bristol to terminate at Oxford or Didcot, trains from Cotswolds / Cheltenham at Didcot, and from the South West at Theale or Newbury.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:46:25 by Timmer » Logged
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 16:47:02 »

Another weekend of total closure around Reading. Details here: 14-15 October 2017

Rough summary on the longer distance services: trains from South Wales / Bristol to terminate at Oxford or Didcot, trains from Cotswolds / Cheltenham at Didcot, and from the South West at Theale or Newbury.

Any bets on an overrun into Monday 16th morning which will then affect the first IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) passenger services ?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:49:36 by Timmer » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 17:12:29 »

Fantastic. I'm travelling from Plymouth to Maidenhead on the afternoon Sunday 15th
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:49:50 by Timmer » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 17:22:41 »

I know this has to be done in order to get the IETs (Intercity Express Train) operating but I feel the short notice and providing no services into London for the whole weekend outside of a holiday period is unacceptable. How many people, based on the timetable that was online that services were operating to London, have booked journeys to/from London only to find their journey will considerably longer and possibly involve a bus?

Will Chiltern be running extra/longer services to cope with the extra passengers trying to get to London? I notice GWR (Great Western Railway) aren't promoting people changing at Oxford for London on the info page highlighted by didcotdean though Journey planners wil reflect this once they are updated.

I would imagine Network Rail gave Mark Hopwood an ultimatum that if he didn't allow them to have this entire weekend blockade, there would be no IETs and He needs them running now because of losing HSTs (High Speed Train) heading to Scotland.

Who could ever imagined back in 09/10 when Lord Adonis announced the electrification of the GW (Great Western) mainline what a complete balls up it has turned out to be.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:50:02 by Timmer » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 17:25:07 »

I know this has to be done in order to get the IETs (Intercity Express Train) operating but I feel the short notice and providing no services into London for the whole weekend outside of a holiday period is unacceptable. How many people, based on the timetable that was online that services were operating to London, have booked journeys to/from London only to find their journey will considerably longer and involve a bus?

I would imagine Network Rail gave Mark Hopwood an ultimatum that if he didn't allow them to have this entire weekend blockade, there would be no IETs and He needs them running now because of losing HSTs (High Speed Train) heading to Scotland.

Who could ever imagined back in 09/10 when Lord Adonis announced the electrification of the GW (Great Western) mainline what a complete balls up it has turned out to be.

As people are being advised not to travel, presumably those with Advance tickets will be able to change them at no cost?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:50:10 by Timmer » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 17:32:21 »

As people are being advised not to travel, presumably those with Advance tickets will be able to change them at no cost?
Sort of. GWR (Great Western Railway) are suggesting:

Your train may not be running, including some late on Friday night, so we recommend you travel on alternative dates if possible. If you do choose to travel, please allow longer to complete your journey.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:50:20 by Timmer » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 17:35:26 »

Another shining example of customer service from Mark Hopwood.  Never mind that we ran trains via Bicester only a couple of weekends ago, we can't be bothered to pull out the stops to do so again this time.  

I noticed at Paddington today the screens were referring to the closure with the title "emergency electrification", which raised my eyebrows somewhat.  Though it appeared to have been changed to something more appropriate by this afternoon.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:50:28 by Timmer » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 17:35:58 »

The additional platform opened at Theale for when work at Reading closed the station is proving to be useful again.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:50:38 by Timmer » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 17:40:08 »

Another shining example of customer service from Mark Hopwood.  Never mind that we ran trains via Bicester only a couple of weekends ago, we can't be bothered to pull out the stops to do so again this time.  
I can only think it would be because of obtaining pilots for the running between Oxford and Marylebone. However, I'm sure GWR (Great Western Railway) will be well compensated for this late notice work so could send an SOS to drivers offering to reward them handsomely for offering to pilot that weekend.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:50:46 by Timmer » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 17:46:30 »

It's also more grist to the mill for those politicians trying to defend the cancellation of electrification schemes. It's hard to argue against the "save you all the inconvenience and disruption" argument when NR» (Network Rail - home page) contrives to add so much at short notice.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:50:55 by Timmer » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 18:12:07 »

Sort of. GWR (Great Western Railway) are suggesting:

Your train may not be running, including some late on Friday night, so we recommend you travel on alternative dates if possible. If you do choose to travel, please allow longer to complete your journey.

.......would you believe it? This is from GWR Twitter.

"Hi Neil. Yes, Advance Tickets can be amended for a £10 admin fee and difference in price to the next available ticket. - Jordan"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:51:11 by Timmer » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 18:46:21 »

I don't think that is correct when you can get a refund:

If you have already bought your ticket and don’t wish to travel you can get your money back by visiting GWR (Great Western Railway).com/refund

Though that's not talking about changing the ticket, you could claim a refund and book a new ticket once the revised times/tickets are uploaded to the Journey planner.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:51:20 by Timmer » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 18:51:47 »

I don't think that is correct when you can get a refund:

If you have already bought your ticket and don’t wish to travel you can get your money back by visiting GWR (Great Western Railway).com/refund

Though that's not talking about changing the ticket, you could claim a refund and book a new ticket once the revised times/tickets are uploaded to the Journey planner.

Yes, but this close to the date the price would undoubtedly be much higher, and I shouldn't be out of pocket, especially when I'm already being inconvenienced by the incompetence of the railways.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:51:27 by Timmer » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 19:02:46 »

If you still want to travel you should be able to travel on an earlier train which gets you to your destination no later than the original time.  That's what I would do and good luck to anyone who tried to tell me otherwise on board.

But really, GWR (Great Western Railway) should clarify this on their website and also email anybody who has bought a ticket (and get the other train booking sites to do so).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:51:35 by Timmer » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 19:20:33 »

If you still want to travel you should be able to travel on an earlier train which gets you to your destination no later than the original time.  That's what I would do and good luck to anyone who tried to tell me otherwise on board.

But really, GWR (Great Western Railway) should clarify this on their website and also email anybody who has bought a ticket (and get the other train booking sites to do so).

Travelling earlier doesn't work for me, I've got family arrangements.  I'm simply trying to transfer my ticket to a train on the following day, in the circumstances you would have thought it's the least they could do.......(and I booked via their website but I'm not expecting an email. Remember GWR don't do customer service).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:51:44 by Timmer » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: