Delayed
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
18:10 Gloucester to Westbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 19:51:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[20] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Coffee Shop GWRF meet, Didcot: January 07, 2018
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum meet up 7 January to discuss GWRF (& Community Rail) consultations  (Read 9849 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 19, 2017, 17:30:28 »

Seen the vote - just announced 7th Jan, Didcot at the GWR (Great Western Railway) Stakeholder's meeting ;-)

Venue to follow.

All Saints Youth and Community Hall, Didcot, from 12:30 for 13:00 through to 16:00 (for 16:30).  7th January 2018.
Note that the Didcot Railway Centre is open for static viewing from 10:30, and some members may wish to make a full day out by frequenting a hostelry for early lunch or afterwards.

We're styling this as a public meeting - all welcome and no charge.  However, I've taken a personal risk of getting a decent audience and I'll have a jar off to one side.   If a dozen of you put £5 in there, I cover my costs.   If more do, then I will donate any excess to a TransWilts project as we continue to promote the train services from Swindon to Westbury and beyond. And we'll have our work cut out in 2018 ... with newer longer trains our seat occupant rates are going to need some attention.

The agenda will include

* Welcome

* Short Keynote

* 5 minutes each on the Community Rail Consultation and thoughts on the Coffee Shop for coming years

* Presentation on the consultation, biased towards aspects that are generating interest here in the forum, and laced with that input to test it more widely

* Sessions around the room - will depend on numbers, but looking at taking questions and having people follow through  their interests go look at a concerted view.     I would look at everyone being able to go to at least 4 sessions, and each session being at least 20 minutes.    Offers of leads would be appreciated

* Final wrap up - "do we submit inputs as the coffee shop or leave individual members and groups to do so" and if we're going to submit something, work out the logistics.

All Saints' Youth and Community Hall, Roman Place, Didcot, OX11 7ER (map attached).

The session is intended to be "fiercely independent" so I have not sought and industry or local authority or charity sponsorship. However, it's a public meeting and as such any and all of those groups may attend.

To sign up, please message me here or email me via graham @ wellho . net
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 17:38:31 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 18:38:33 »

Thanks for that update, grahame.

While my shift pattern at work means that I generally work every Sunday, I have now asked whether I could take some time back on Sunday 7 January, on the assumption that by then I will have already worked many hours of overtime over Christmas and the New Year.

If that is agreed, I shall be delighted to attend your proposed forum meet-up, and would be happy to offer to lead a discussion session.

As soon as I have a reply, I'll add details here.

CfN.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 19:55:28 »

If that is agreed, I shall be delighted to attend your proposed forum meet-up, and would be happy to offer to lead discussion session.

That is lovely thanks Chris ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 14:58:20 »

Sorry, my apologies for something so close to home.

I start the day in Robin Hoods Bay - a quick google will show that 1230/1300 in Didcot is not possible. Indeed, being there for the wrap up idn't easily either, such is the public transport options on a winter sunday. Annoying!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 06:29:13 »

I'm sorry that I'll apparently not be seeing you there, ChrisB, but things are looking positive for my own attendance.  Smiley

'Work' have indicated that I'll have no problem taking a 'day off in lieu' on 7 January, so grahame is welcome to now add me to the list of attendees - and indeed possible leaders of a discussion group (gulp!).  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 22:44:40 »

Sorry .. I'll be busy returning my youngest to university that day for his second term  Smiley
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 18:38:01 »

Sadly (for once) I shall be in Devon.

Now, please!
Tulyar15

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 17:19:55 »

I should be able to come to this. I've noted it in my diary plus relevant train times from and to Chippenham
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 10:52:32 »

I have Paul's keynote slides.   

All I can say is WOW ... if you can make this one, do so ...

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 18:51:55 »

I intend to travel on the 1105 from Trowbridge and 1146 from Swindon - assuming that there are crews available to work them Wink Roll Eyes

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 20:10:32 »

I'll be back there !
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 10:56:05 »

AGENDA for Sunday 7th January ... All Saints Youth and Community Hall, Didcot.

Public meeting arranged by the Coffee Shop Forum's admin

"Making effective forward looking responses to the Great Western Franchise Consultation"

Question to me: Is there any point consulting on a future franchise when it seems that FirstGroup are just going to keep getting extensions to the current one?

Answer: Even for the cynic, yes there is, as you / we / they (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) can help shape what First (or a. n. other) are required to do

From 12:30 - arrive for 13:00 start; sign in, set up, etc.  No entrance charge, but a donation box will be available if you want to help defray my costs for the hall hire. Any shortfall I will make up, any excess (!) will help our ongoing work.

13:00 Intro, bookkeeping etc, then 5 mins each on
   Coffee Shop update
   Community Rail Consultation
   GWRF Consultation
   Rest of day plan

13:25 Paul Johnson / keynote

14:00 First Groups  (Groups defined below, based on questions in the franchise and forum votes)
   A   What does the franchise want to achieve?
   C   What and we do trains go?
   D   Fares and ticketing

14:25 Second Groups
   B   Admin and structure of the businesses
   F   The Passenger Experience

14:50 Third Groups
   D   Fares and ticketing
   E   Building for the further future

15:15 Fourth Groups
   D   Fares and ticketing
   G   The wider community

15:40 Summarise and where from here

16:00 Close - we may adjourn to a local hostelry.

Groups of topics - numbers in brackets represent votes cast for the coverage at this meeting of each topic

Section A - Where do we start?
GWRF2020-01 Franchise Objectives for the 2020s (6)

Section B - Administration and Structure
GWRF2020-02 Splitting the current franchise area into two franchises (9)
GWRF2020-04 Relationship between Network Rail and train operator (6)
GWRF2020-11 Freight expectations sought (0)

Section C - What and when do the trains go?
GWRF2020-05 Timetable improvements (15)
GWRF2020-08 Direct (through train) service provision (6)
GWRF2020-07 Reducing journey times by reducing intermediate stops (7)
GWRF2020-09 Seasonal and special event services (6)
GWRF2020-03 Future homes for Greenford and Brighton services (2)
GWRF2020-10 Other service enhancements (6)

Section D - Fares and tickets
GWRF2020-15 Fares and ticketing (15)

Section E - Building for the further future
GWRF2020-06 New Stations or lines for the next franchise (beyond 2022) (9)

Section F - The Passenger experience
GWRF2020-14 Stations (4)
GWRF2020-12 Rolling Stock and provision therein (9)
GWRF2020-13 Accessibility (0)

Section G - The wider community
GWRF2020-16 Community Rail (3)
GWRF2020-17 Investment in workforce and skills (4)
GWRF2020-18 Any Other Business (0)

Relevan threads:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=19037.0
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=19164.0
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=19134.0

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 20:39:09 »

Sorry can't be there, but I would strongly be against splitting the franchise for the reasons I have stated in the relevant thread.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 20:58:41 »

I haven’t met anyone who thinks it’s a good idea yet.  That of course means it is sure to be bulldozed through!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 22:31:54 »

Keep the franchise as it is now but trim off some of 'the fat'.

1. Remove the Brightons, plenty of alternatives on the Coastway line.

2. Curtail the Great Malverns at Worcester Foregate Street with terminators at Shrub Hill extended to Foregate Street to give connections to stations to Great Malvern and Hereford on LM (London Midland - recent franchise)  ? services.

3.Transfer the Greenford, Windsor, Marlow and Henley branches to Crossrail.

4. Maybe hive the Reading - Gatwick service off to a separate company/franchise 'Gatwick Link'.

5. Maybe hive off the Reading - Basingstoke service off to SWT (South West Trains).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: