Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:06:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pure electric car - initial experience  (Read 3153 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 23, 2019, 08:29:01 »

... also I am aware of several people who are seriously considering an electric car, but are still a bit nervous of being an early adopter, they are therefore waiting to see how other people get on with electric cars.
Meanwhile of course they are not buying a new petrol car.

Breaking cover ... as part of our life re-organisation, Lisa and I have become early adaptors and 3 months ago took delivery of a pure electric car.   We are at the age where insurance and running costs of vehicle(s) totally paid for are low (neither being young nor so old we are considered dangerous) so we have retained the people / dog / luggage mover and that's our "natural" for longer trips.

Initial re-action?  We were worried / concerned at the need to find somewhere / somehow to charge the car, but with a range of 150 miles we find the 'opposite' - suggestion is that you don't charge if you still have 80% battery and it's occasional rather than routine to need to recharge.  We've had a charger point installed where the car is parked on our  own property.  And there are opportunities (not yet explored / having to be used) to charge away from home - ranging from plugging in to 13 amp outlets which charge at 10 m.p.h. through rapid charge units at 80 m.p.h. ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 11:55:57 »

We have a plug-in hybrid car. Left to my own devices I would have gone for a pure electric (probably a Nissan Leaf) but I was unable to overcome Mrs Squirrel's range anxiety, so we ended up with a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.

We have a 7kW home charger, which recharges the car's 12.5kWh battery quickly enough for this not to be an issue - we always leave home with a full battery. We have used Ecotricity's DC (Direct Current) chargers at motorway service stations - they give an 80% charge in about 40 minutes, but in a hybrid it's really not worth bothering with that for what amounts to 15 miles of range at motorway speeds.

I am not a fan of this technology; it is way too complex for my liking. The car can run as a pure electric, or it can use the petrol engine to charge the battery. It can drive the front wheels directly via a CVT, and sometimes this is boosted by the front electric motor. You can also get it to charge the battery from the petrol engine so that you have some electric range when you enter a town. There is also a rear electric motor which comes and goes as it sees fit, and there's a 4WD mode which does make life a bit easier on that one day of the year when you end up driving on something slippery.

Arguably this kind of vehicle should meet both grahame's requirements - it's an electric car round town, and a petrol car for longer trips. It doesn't half smell of dog.

Would I recommend it? Halfheartedly. If we were looking to buy now, I'd be leaning very heavily towards a Kia e-Niro (the fully electric version).

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 12:12:47 »

Can someone with experience advise how the various options cope driving in the snow? Can they cope with enough torque etc?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 13:47:05 »

Can someone with experience advise how the various options cope driving in the snow? Can they cope with enough torque etc?

EVs are much easier to drive in the snow (or in any other conditions) because they deliver maximum torque from a standstill in a highly controllable way.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 15:31:10 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

New electric vehicles will have to feature a noise-emitting device, under an EU» (European Union - about) rule coming into force on Monday.

It follows concerns that low-emission cars and vans are too quiet, putting pedestrians at risk because they cannot be heard as they approach.

I have grown used to being very much more aware of unsuspecting pedestrians around me when I have our car in a car park of similar with lots of pedestrians around ... and a 'frustration' at driving behind school pupils walking to or from school in the middle of a light-trafficked local road near the secondary school for Melksham.  But I'm not convinced that the solution is to turn up the noise; the pupils could just turn up the volume on their headphones.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 16:09:21 »

EVs are much easier to drive in the snow (or in any other conditions) because they deliver maximum torque from a standstill in a highly controllable way.

Agree.
I do not drive a car but have heard most favourable reports as to the handling on snow of an electric car, a Nissan leaf.
I have driven an electric quad bike on snow and found it easier to handle than a petrol one, the gentle starting without any "snatching" that tends to start a spin or slide was noticeable.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 08:11:10 »

Electric cars 'will not solve transport problem,' report warns

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Car use will still need to be curbed even when all vehicles are powered by clean electricity, a report has said.

It warns that electrifying cars will not address traffic jams, urban sprawl and wasted space for parking.

The Centre for Research into Energy Demand Solutions (CREDS) report calls on the government to devise a strategy allowing people to have a good standard of living without needing a car.

The government said it was spending £2bn to promote walking and cycling.

It also says it plans to spend £50bn on improving roads. However, critics accuse the government of not having a serious plan to deal with the social problems associated with mass car ownership.

CREDS is an academic consortium of more than 80 academics across the UK (United Kingdom).

"Car use is a massive blind spot on government policy," Prof Jillian Anable, one of the authors of the report, said.

She added: “For many years ministers have adopted the principle of trying to meet demand by increasing road space.

"They need to reduce demand instead.”

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 16:13:11 »

I think that's pretty clear really. Cars are incredibly useful machines which can transform lives but we use them in ways that are not useful. As a consequence we use them too much and have too many of them and overall suffer their ill effects at least as much as we benefit from their good ones. Changing the mechanics of the cars won't change that.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: