Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:43:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Roger Newman - Memorial, TRO: January 31, 2023
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roger Newman - RIP  (Read 12653 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 25, 2020, 17:26:56 »

Roger Newman, an active member and chair of the West Wilts Rail User Group for many years, passed away earlier this week, having been taken into hospital a day or two previous with Coronavirus. Apparently his lungs were just too weak.

I knew Roger for many years  - an ardent advocate for rail, very well informed and the backbone of articles for the user group's newsletter.  He did a very great deal in station adoption at Trowbridge and at Bradford-on-Avon too, as well as lots of other support work such as surveys for the through Waterloo services when they were under threat. He took a very great interest in the railways of Finland too, visiting there many times for extended holidays.

There are many aspects of Roger that I'm sure I was not privy to; as a campaigner on what was something of a branch line off his axis of interest, we came into contact, but I never served on the same group or committee as Roger, and I'm certain that I've left much out - others are welcome to add.

There will be an announcement in the Wiltshire times; funeral by invitation only in these extraordinary times, but I have spoken with his widow on the phone and passed on my and our condolences, and let her know that we'll be there on the day I spirit even if we can't in person.

Edit - addition of picture (taken 9th July 2016 in front or a blue GWR (Great Western Railway) train!)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 09:28:23 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 17:48:30 »

Sad news - he was an excellent campaigner for the railways.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 19:33:53 »

Attended a number of meetings he organised - he always managed to attract some top speakers.

One of the last times we met was on the first IET (Intercity Express Train) to reach Penzance.  We had an enjoyable walk along the seawall and he was in good form although for some reason I have no photos of him on the day. 
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 21:38:56 »

Sad to hear of his passing RIP Roger.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 08:56:42 »

Richard Cowell writes on behalf of the West Wilts Rail User Group

... We'd literally just sent out our last newsletter a day or two before Roger was admitted to hospital so at the time of printing were unaware of just how poorly he was. We will prepare a tribute to his work in rail campaigning for the next one. Even since stepping down as chairman he has been key in organising speakers and arranging venues for our public meetings and will be a big loss to the group.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 18:08:27 »

Obituary to Roger in the Wiltshire Times

LOCAL historian and railway enthusiast Roger Fredrick Newman died on Tuesday, November 24 aged 83, having suffered from Covid-19.

Born on October 10, 1937 in Birmingham, Roger and his wife Jacqueline moved to Trowbridge in 1973.

Having met on holiday Roger and Jacqueline married in 1968, and made their first home in Redditch.

Roger soon became a fount of knowledge on Trowbridge history, and made his home for many years in Southwick. For the last two decades he had studied and made records of all the shops and trading places in the town over the last 200 years.

Continues in the link
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 18:24:53 »

Obituary to Roger in the Wiltshire Times

Thanks, Bob

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 09:24:46 »

A bench and plaque in memory of Roger Newman have been installed at Trowbridge Station ... quoting here from a email from the Friends of Trowbridge Station to the West Wilts Rail User Group, where Roger was the chair and driving force.

Further to the e-mail sent a while ago about this - bench and plaque have now been installed - not had the opportunity to have a look at it yet (but it is on the Bath/Bristol bound platform).

Just writing to confirm that the date for "unveiling" of Roger Newman's memorial bench has been set for Tuesday 31st January 2023

This is to let you know so that either yourself or another representative of West Wiltshire Rail Users Group will be able to attend or keep the date free

(this is dependent on weather and whether the strike action continues until next year though some dates are already for the New Year with little sight in end)

This will be in addition to [name] who will be there as a member of WWRUG» (West Wiltshire Rail Users Group - about) and friend of Roger

I know no other details at the moment as [name] Trans Wilts Partnership Officer has set the date and will be organising everything else - tea and cakes will be available

Please let me know who will be coming on behalf of WWRUG - either yourself or another representative

As soon as I know further details then I will forward them to you but I guess that nothing will be done this side of the festivities

I know that quite a number of our members knew Roger and may wish to attend.  From the above, I gather that the official unveiling event will be by invite only - I can pass on any messages or you can get in touch directly with TransWilts if you wish to attend.

I have not been to Trowbridge station to confirm the presence of the bench yet ... I will take a look and some photos when next there.  Roger made a really big impression on the WWRUG - in many ways it was his group - and his work has set it up as a robust group that's now building on the base he nurtured - thank you Roger.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 16:55:37 by grahame » Logged

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 15:58:04 »

Roger made a really big impression on the WWRUG» (West Wiltshire Rail Users Group - about) - in many ways it was his group - and his work has set it up as a robust group that's not building on the base he nurtured - thank you Roger.

Is there a typo you'd rather not want in that last paragraph, Graham? Maybe the word 'not'?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2022, 16:56:56 »

Roger made a really big impression on the WWRUG» (West Wiltshire Rail Users Group - about) - in many ways it was his group - and his work has set it up as a robust group that's not building on the base he nurtured - thank you Roger.

Is there a typo you'd rather not want in that last paragraph, Graham? Maybe the word 'not'?

Thanks, Chris - I have changed it to now which is what I intended to type in the first place!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 10:02:57 »

A bench and plaque in memory of Roger Newman have been installed at Trowbridge Station ... quoting here from a email from the Friends of Trowbridge Station to the West Wilts Rail User Group, where Roger was the chair and driving force.

Just writing to confirm that the date for "unveiling" of Roger Newman's memorial bench has been set for Tuesday 31st January 2023

This is to let you know so that either yourself or another representative of West Wiltshire Rail Users Group will be able to attend or keep the date free

I know that quite a number of our members knew Roger and may wish to attend.  From the above, I gather that the official unveiling event will be by invite only - I can pass on any messages or you can get in touch directly with TransWilts if you wish to attend.

I had kept the date free, but heard no more ... I understand that this did not happen and [may be / will be] now on 21st of this month.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 10:11:01 »

As I understand it, it is at 2pm on the 21st February.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 10:39:59 »

As I understand it, it is at 2pm on the 21st February.

Indeed, and the invite for 21st suggests a more general invite this time. The WWRUG» (West Wiltshire Rail Users Group - about) Committee meets on 14th (wonderful thing to do on Valentines - shows how long-suffering our partners are); I know that more that two wanted to attend.  Noting some train changes that new chosen day, with rail replacement buses from Melksham (covered by Roger and WWRUG) and Chippenham.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 21:03:18 »

Indeed.  The timing would have been perfect for a train trip from Swindon but not so good by rail replacement.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: